Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Just some general advice. Upon reading many of the questions on the subject Re: windows problems, IE: slow down, freezing, programs not obeying instructions Etc: I have always found it easier and quicker to reinstall the OS. Rather than look here look there and everywhere. I usually have a lot less hassle and stress by doing so. When I first started dabbling with computers I would spend hours if not days trying to figure out problems, then I decided that next time I have a problem I would time myself to see how long it takes to solve, SIXTEEN hours hum? I thought that is ridiculous, I then waited for another problem to arise and it did, ah I thought bugger this I will try something else, therefore I saved the important things Photos /Zone alarm Etc: to disc timing myself again, inserted the windows disc formatted the HDD and reinstalled everything, online finished THREE hours, and now it takes less and less time. That is my philosophy and I stick to it! Unless of course I know what the problem in fact is.
One thing I have noticed in particular is that if you have XP or XP SP1 and download SP2 it will give you problems, but if you have XP with SP2 included on the disc it works fine?

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
Formatting and reinstalling is OK if you are competent with PC's enough to backup your vital files and then reinstall.
Myself, I freshly install XP about every 6 months just to keep things running smoothly, and this works great for me, but some users simply arent confident enough and don't want the hassle of putting everything back just as it was after a re-install.

Reaction score
Cache-man said:
Formatting and reinstalling is OK if you are competent with PC's enough to backup your vital files and then reinstall.
Myself, I freshly install XP about every 6 months just to keep things running smoothly, and this works great for me, but some users simply arent confident enough and don't want the hassle of putting everything back just as it was after a re-install.
I agree with you,but you had to learn as did I, what I am saying is it is quicker to reinstall as you point out the PC runs smootherafter a reinstall rather than mess about and as a lot of people do make things worse, you must agree on that point!

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Me too, Cache-man, I reinstall Windows every couple of months too. All my Docs are on the D:\ partition so all i have to do is reinstall MS Office and other software again

Reaction score
Electronics & Photo Fan said:
Me too, Cache-man, I reinstall Windows every couple of months too. All my Docs are on the D:\ partition so all i have to do is reinstall MS Office and other software again
Thats it!

Ask a Question