GTA4 Installation

CSB

Reaction score
As you can tell from the title, I installed GTA4 Complete Edition, well installed the first disc, then the second, but asked for the first disc again to finish installation. Popped it back in and it came up with a bgox to say it was installing components for online play or something.

It was taking for ever and the CPU was idle aswell as the DVD drive etc. I waited and waited incase it was just me being impatient. But after like 10 mins it was obvious it had gone wrong somewhere so I had to close it.

It appears all the game folders are installed but it won't let me play and there is No Uninstall via "All Programmes" etc, and it doesn't appear in the list after going to Control Panel and Uninstall or change programme.

So I now want to delete this and start again, so is it safe to just delete the Rockstar folder thats on the SSD Drive and start again ?. Also arn't there registry files ?.

Can't believe this f**ked up. The game is brand new from Zavvi and there is a slight small scratch on the first disc near the edge about 5mm long but shouldn't have any problems surely.

Has anyone else had the same problem ?

Rob

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've had no problems with GTA IV apart from a small hiccup getting registered with Rockstar Social Club when I first bought the game.

Your problem is occuring during the final stages of installation which is probably situated near the edge of Disk One - which is where that scratch you mentioned is situated.

I think it's likely that scratch is causing the problem and pain though it is I'd try and negotiate a replacement with the supplier.

I've never heard of Zawi but if you'd purchased the game from Amazon or Play.com you'd have no problem with an exchange for a faulty product.

Or, for that matter, a Steam download, if they do GTA IV.

I don't think I've ever known anybody to have so many problems with online suppliers than yourself Mr CSB, tis truly a bummer ;)

Reaction score
Z a v v i is or was owned originally by HMV I believe until it was sold a quite a few years ago.

Big fuss at time because the company the bought it would not honour the gift vouchers that were bought before the buyout. I was one of the customers that had vouchers. Wasn't impressed.

Sure we've had this conversation before ;)

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I think zavvi was/is actually owned by virgin/virgin megastores, but thats besides the point :p

It sounds like the disc is at fault. just take it back and tell em it wont install, they should just give you a new one without any hassle. Failing that just get the disc cleaned, gamestation does it and so does blockbuster, they skim a tiny amount of the disc and if it isnt enough they will do it again free of charge aslong as you keep the receipt.

CSB

Reaction score
Thanks to all for your replys. I won't go down the route of getting it skimmed as the item should be New and I shouldn't have to pay another £2 or more to fix their problem.

Will send them an email latrer I think, explain to them that I bought it a few weeks ago but hadn't opened it until I finished building this PC.

One last question though guys, what about the installed files I have right now, The game won't show up in Uninstall programmes, and there is No "Uninstall" option in the games start/windows menu folder when you click on Rockstar etc. Just has GTA4 Safe mode, GTA4, Revoke Licence and Support.

Been through all the games folders with No uninstall options. So do I now just have to manually delete it from my SSD ? would that cause problems if not uninstalled the way the developers expected ?. Also I'm assuming there is registry files.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'd leave the partial install where it is and wait until you get your replacement disk then try a reinstall. You may have to start the reinstall manually by double clicking on the GTA IV .exe file.

If that doesn't work delete the main folder and reinstall, the existing registry entries will likely not be changed or be overwritten.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
On another note, there really isn't a lot of point in installing GTA on the SSD. ;)

CSB

Reaction score
Well I reinstalled and this time it finished, go to play and it stutters like crazy. My jaw hit the floor, I mean its not bad having a i7 950, 6GB Corsair ram, and a Asus GTX580.

I thought I'd be playing this game like I had been on my PS3 console. This is barely playable and I have already tried various graphics settings. I downloaded a patch from Rockstar and that failed to update the game and ends just saying to run setup to install the update.

Why our PC game fans ripped off and given shoddy ports.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
GTA has never been the 'smoothest' of games out there... :/

Try Crysis, :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
My spec, briefly:

Asus P5B Deluxe mobo
Intel Core 2 duo 6600 dual core CPU stock @ 2.4Ghz
4Gb Memory
BFG Nvidia 9800GTX 512Mb vid card

... and it runs GTA IV perfectly.

Oddly enough I've just uninstalled GTA IV from my C drive to free up space for Steam stuff (Crysis 2 demo for one) and reinstalled it on my storage drive. Quite painless.

I have 4 patches for GTA IV, 1020; 1030; 1040 & Patch 7 which I've just applied. patch 7 removes the need to be logged into Rockstar Social Club to play the game and also allows mapping of gamepad buttons which was originally denied, gamepad buttons were set & locked in original unpatched version.

I've just gone through the long opening sequence again and the game is working fine for me.

It ain't that great a game but it does have it's charms, I like to have it there for when I'm in the mood.

Mafia 2, incidentally, is very similar but far superior, it does everything GTA IV aspired to do, only better.

I have not a clue why you're having problems with your machine if a lowly specced machine like mine can run GTA IV without problems.

CSB

Reaction score
I did read some posts on other forums of ppl complaining about how slow it runs, some find it strange that ppl with specs like yours FBS get to play it fine whereas ppl with a higher spec get kicked in the goolies.

Might try installing it on the storage drive.

Reaction score
Dont blame or write your pc off until you get a new install disc.......i'm far from being an expert but my money's ont the scratch causing issues.

CSB

Reaction score
Had an email back from Zavvi, they've given me a Freepost address to send the game back for a replacement.

Can't believe my Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz Memory is only running at 1066Mhz. Must have been another reason why the game was performing so bad ?.

Can I just overclock the memory to make it run at 2Ghz Speed ?. whats the best thing to do.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Had an email back from Zavvi, they've given me a Freepost address to send the game back for a replacement.

Can't believe my Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz Memory is only running at 1066Mhz. Must have been another reason why the game was performing so bad ?.

Can I just overclock the memory to make it run at 2Ghz Speed ?. whats the best thing to do.

I'm not familiar with your motherboard but does it have the capability to run memory at 2Ghz?

If it does then just change the speed in the BIOS, it should be quite straightforward.

If the motherboards' memory speed capability is only 1066Mhz then your memory won't run any faster than that.

CSB

Reaction score
Hi FBS,

I remember researching these details and I'm sure somewhere it said it can take 2GHz on like some OC mode or something unless it was fake and unconfirmed info, but the official site says this.

Triple-Channel DDR3 1866/1800/1600/1333/1066 support

The motherboard supports DDR3 memory that features data transfer rates of 1866/1800/1600/1333/1066 MHz to meet the higher bandwidth requirements of the latest 3D graphics, multimedia, and Internet applications. The triple-channel DDR3 architecture enlarges the bandwidth of your system memory to boost system performance.

So now looks like that it can only go up to 1866 ?. Should I set it to that in BIOS?

ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 MOBO

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hi FBS,

I remember researching these details and I'm sure somewhere it said it can take 2GHz on like some OC mode or something unless it was fake and unconfirmed info, but the official site says this.

Triple-Channel DDR3 1866/1800/1600/1333/1066 support

The motherboard supports DDR3 memory that features data transfer rates of 1866/1800/1600/1333/1066 MHz to meet the higher bandwidth requirements of the latest 3D graphics, multimedia, and Internet applications. The triple-channel DDR3 architecture enlarges the bandwidth of your system memory to boost system performance.

So now looks like that it can only go up to 1866 ?. Should I set it to that in BIOS?

ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 MOBO

Yes :)

CSB

Reaction score
Well I changed the Memory speed to 1866 in BIOS, went to Save changes and exit, and the system just shut down dead.

I immediately though oh crap, but then about 2 or 3 seconds later it started itself up again as normal and showed the memory now running in 1866Mhz. Maybe the quick shut down is just part of the BIOS when a change like this is made ?.

I have just noticed Windows load a second or 2 faster aswell, or its just me hopeing it did lol

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Some BIOS's do that, the shutdown thing, scared the hell outta me when it first happened.

Good to see you're up and running at speed, is GTA IV performing any better?

CSB

Reaction score
I uninstalled the game as I thought it must have been the disc, will reinstall and try again.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yeah i know that Gigabyte and Asus BIOS do that for sure, probably most others too.

Have you tried loading up the system with OCCT or similar?

Ask a Question