Holy BLOAT!

sgopus

if I were thinking of upgrading I would go to the Vista group and read up,
this has nothing to do with XP and should not have been posted to an XP group.

ceed

Nonny wrote:

||Nonny wrote:
|>|
|>|I'm waiting on a 250gig SATA drive to arrive! Should be here by
|>|Wednesday.
||Remember when I got my new computer with 450 mb drive sometime in
||the 90s. I thought: "I'm never going to be able to find stuff to
||fill this thing with".
|
|My first hard drive was a hard CARD (ISA)... 30mb and $300! Next step
|was a HUMONGOUS Maxtor 213mb from Egghead! I think I paid $250 for
|that one.
|
|Then came a 1gig drive (OEM) for $300 from a local shop.
|
|The 250gig SATA was $65 from Newegg.

And for $65 a lot of us can't even fill our car with gas... :) So
what's the problem with some gigs spent on restore. I for one have had
to chose an older restore point for one reason or the other. I do not
know if they need to be 2 gig to work, but as long as restore works as
well as it does in Vista I can spare the gigs. :)

tom

ceed said:
Nonny wrote:

||Nonny wrote:
|>|I was wondering why my new Vista system would only hold eight
|restore >|points. I recently used up that space very quickly when I
|installed a >|bunch of my old programs that I used in XP.
|>|
|>|Turns out that my Vista restore points are about TWO GIGS EACH,
|>|compared to 200mb each in my old XP system.
|>|
|>|By default, Vista appears to allocate a maximum size of 15% of the
|>|drive's total space for restore points. Or it might be a fixed
|>|number, I'm not sure. On my system disk, it's currently a tad over
|16 >|gigs. That much space would've stored 80 restore points in XP!
|>|
|>|To change that space allocation requires some command line hoop
|>|jumping, rather than just moving a slider in the GUI.
||Good thing storage is cheaper than gas these days....
|
|I'm waiting on a 250gig SATA drive to arrive! Should be here by
|Wednesday.

Remember when I got my new computer with 450 mb drive sometime in the
90s. I thought: "I'm never going to be able to find stuff to fill this
thing with". That was before mp3s, xvid and BitTorrent. Now you can
install programs like Miro who asks you how many GB it should leave you
with after it has done it's thing. Times have changed. So has gas
prices, and storage prices for that matter.
A 20 meg mmf hard drive used to cost $600.00 Good old Days of Dos 3.0

Xandros

ceed said:
Nonny wrote:

||Nonny wrote:
|>|
|>|I'm waiting on a 250gig SATA drive to arrive! Should be here by
|>|Wednesday.
||Remember when I got my new computer with 450 mb drive sometime in
||the 90s. I thought: "I'm never going to be able to find stuff to
||fill this thing with".
|
|My first hard drive was a hard CARD (ISA)... 30mb and $300! Next step
|was a HUMONGOUS Maxtor 213mb from Egghead! I think I paid $250 for
|that one.
|
|Then came a 1gig drive (OEM) for $300 from a local shop.
|
|The 250gig SATA was $65 from Newegg.

And for $65 a lot of us can't even fill our car with gas... :) So
what's the problem with some gigs spent on restore. I for one have had
to chose an older restore point for one reason or the other. I do not
know if they need to be 2 gig to work, but as long as restore works as
well as it does in Vista I can spare the gigs. :)

It cost me $75 to fill my Jeep with gas today and it was still on 1/4 tank.
The other day I bought a 500GB hard drive for $59.

kevpan815

Adam Albright said:
What a riot, you can't wait to get a new hard drive to bloat it up
with more restore points no doubt.

Hint to the clueless; you rarely would ever have a need for more than
the LAST restore point. Keeping dozens of them around cluttering up
your hard drive is as dumb as saving old calendars thinking you'll
have a use for them in the future.

Hint to the RETARD: You are a complete fool. The more you insult, the
bigger fool you become. Better get some help before you need to get a T1
line so you can handle your typing and your EGO.

kevpan815

Oops. What Am I Saying? This Is For Help With Vista Issues, Not My Mental
Issues. Just FYI.

Did You Know That I Say Just FYI All The Time? Just FYI. This Is Because
Messages Are Just For Your Information And My Poor Mentally Retarted Brain
Doesn't Know That So I Have To Say Just FYI.

Just FYI

Just FYI

Just FYI.

Did I Say Just FYI? IF Not, Just FYI

[...]

George Ruch

kevpan815 said:
This Is A Vista Group, NOT A XP Group, Just FYI.
Check the headers, dogbreath:
Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Also, keep your voice down. Capitalizing Everything In A Sentence
is a only short step from shouting.

Not Me

My first PC had 324 KB RAM.
I put the other 324K in later when the price dropped to $500...and I had to
solder it to the board myself.
The standard 10 MB HDD could be upgraded (for only $450) to a 20 MB.
The salesman told me I would 'never' need a full 20 MB of HDD...after all I
had two 5.25" floppy drives and the board supported the new 'high capacity'
3.5" floppy drive if I wanted to add one later (they were only $250).
I sure miss that zippy 4 Mhz speedster...and those blazing 300 baud
connections...
The funny thing is, that machine still runs! LOL

dadiOH

Not said:
My first PC had 324 KB RAM.
I put the other 324K in later when the price dropped to $500...and I
had to solder it to the board myself.
The standard 10 MB HDD could be upgraded (for only $450) to a 20 MB.
The salesman told me I would 'never' need a full 20 MB of HDD...after
all I had two 5.25" floppy drives and the board supported the new
'high capacity' 3.5" floppy drive if I wanted to add one later (they were
only $250).
I sure miss that zippy 4 Mhz speedster...and those blazing 300 baud
connections...
The funny thing is, that machine still runs! LOL

I'll bet it never crashed either. And if it did, it didn't need a "restore
point" to get it up again.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Bender

I have only spent $10 on gas this entire century (whether it started in 2000
or 2001). I walk or ride my bike. I don't even use public transit. I do have
a drivers license and have been driving since about 1980. I am not including
gas I buy for my lawnmower.
I spend my gas money on coffee.
My first hard drive was only 40 MB. It could only be formatted to 32 MB and
some disk utility had to be used to get the extra space.
My first laptop didn't even have a hard drive, just two floppy drives. 4 MHz
processor (8088 or 8086 processor) 2 bit color, for a total of on, off and 2
shades of green.

Bender

You have just inspired me to throw out all my old calendars. After I scan
them into my computer.
Oops, I think I will need to get extra hard drive space to store the scans
and the backups of the scans.

Canuck57

dadiOH said:
I'll bet it never crashed either. And if it did, it didn't need a
"restore point" to get it up again.

No, they didn't crash that often. But had the same issues as today, the
mechanics of the hard drive. Today's drives are better in this regard.
Often you had to tap a ST506 10mb HD on it's side to get it to spin, you
then knew you had to replace it soon.

GorkusPuss

Canuck57 said:
No, they didn't crash that often. But had the same issues as today, the
mechanics of the hard drive. Today's drives are better in this regard.
Often you had to tap a ST506 10mb HD on it's side to get it to spin, you
then knew you had to replace it soon.
Did you need to park the drive before powering off?

C:\>PARK

- GorkusPuss

Kurt Herman

Oh you are SOOO wrong!

All computers those days (toaster Macs, Amiga's, Apples, TRS80s, Commodores)
crashed ALL the time.

We expected that of our computers. We were amazed if they stayed up for more
then a couple of days.

/old man mode on////

Darn kids these days..... :) With their Interwebs!!!

/old man mode off//

Kurt Herman