History/Search

Can anyone help please – I am using Windows XP and Internet Explorer 6. I’m
having a problem clearing the History from my Internet browser in Search
view. I have tried clearing the history from the browser (Via
Tools/Options/General tab/ Clear History) and also via Control Panel as well
as looking for the entry in regedit. The History is cleared in date view but
when I go to Search view there are 3 shortcuts still remaining. Any advice on
how to remove these would be welcomed.
Thank you

Don Varnau

Hi,
These URLs you're seeing may be coming from the index.dat file in the
History folder.

CCleaner from http://www.ccleaner.com/ should be able to clear the History
and the index.dat file. Just check those two boxes when you run it.

Free History Eraser from
http://smartprotector.com/eraser/free-history-eraser.htm will delete the
History folder (and the index.dat file) and a new one will be created when
you restart.
Or the History folder can be deleted manually:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Thanks Don, I'll give this a try and let you know
Kev

The chubster said:
Can anyone help please – I am using Windows XP and Internet Explorer 6. I’m
having a problem clearing the History from my Internet browser in Search
view. I have tried clearing the history from the browser (Via
Tools/Options/General tab/ Clear History) and also via Control Panel as well
as looking for the entry in regedit. The History is cleared in date view but
when I go to Search view there are 3 shortcuts still remaining. Any advice on
how to remove these would be welcomed.
Thank you

Ccleaner has sorted out my problem - Many thanks Kev (The Chubster)

The chubster said:
Can anyone help please – I am using Windows XP and Internet Explorer 6. I’m
having a problem clearing the History from my Internet browser in Search
view. I have tried clearing the history from the browser (Via
Tools/Options/General tab/ Clear History) and also via Control Panel as well
as looking for the entry in regedit. The History is cleared in date view but
when I go to Search view there are 3 shortcuts still remaining. Any advice on
how to remove these would be welcomed.
Thank you

Don Varnau

Hi,
CCleaner has a pretty good success rate. Thanks for reporting back.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]