Help with Spec?

Reaction score
So my parents want me to build them a nicely specced office/general use machine. Their last one I built is on its last legs - a P4 2.8, Abit IC7-G, 512mb RAM, Radeon 9600XT AGP and 80Gb HDD. It's getting on a bit, and it's time to upgrade.

I've come up with the following...

It can't be any more expensive - but if there are any suggestions to the spec - different components - i'm happy to tweak if it provides more performance or better value for money!!

Mainly, I'm out of touch with hardware so hope i've chosen compatible and decent components!!

See below post!

Last edited:
Reaction score
attachment.php

Attachments

• mumdadspec.jpg
    mumdadspec.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 305

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
MSI haven't been doing too well in the motherboard stakes lately, imo Asus and Gigabyte are the clear leaders with DFI also making fine boards but costing more money.

I do favour Asus boards, they work well and I've never had a problem with any, all three of my current machines are Asus, one Intel and two AMD.

Consider one of these two:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/159769

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/158607

Good choice with the triple core Phenom, the AMD quad core CPU's got poor reviews whereas the triple cores got a big thumbs-up.

I assume you're going to use the stock CPU cooler? The last AMD stock cooler I used didn't do a very good job (CPU temp was around 45C) and was a tad noisy but if budget's a prime consideration it will have to do.

The OCZ PSU's are popular and have been getting good reviews but if it were me I'd still go for a Corsair PSU for another twenty quid or so.

I know e-buyer do free postage for orders over £50.00 but how much is postage total from 3 suppliers for the specced parts? Something to think about perhaps.

Other than that, all looks good to me, that will be a fine machine.

Reaction score
Yeah - download the windows 7 trial!

Cheers Flops - is there any particular chipset to go for? I wouldnt be able to get an i7 build for that money would I?

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
By Chris

Wouldn`t dare change the norm for my parents...took years to get used to XP :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:

Cheers Flops - is there any particular chipset to go for? I wouldnt be able to get an i7 build for that money would I?

The AMD chipset's as good as any.

For the budget it does look as if an i7 setup may be out of reach but no matter the AMD Triple core @ 2.66 will be a fast machine, certainly more than good enough for an office machine.

If I were going to spend more money on that system I'd go for a third party cooler such as a Noctua, Zalman or Thermalright....hmm, scrap that, there don't seem to be many AM3 coolers about, This One looks to be the best choice.

Shortly I'm going to buy an OCZ PSU myself of around 500W to replace the 350 watt Jeantech PSU in my media machine, which shows I do have confidence in them, so I wouldn't worry too much about me predictably recommending the Corsair ;)

I don't know if you followed my thread on an i7 build for a friend but it came to £1030.00 with a quad 2.66Ghz CPU but he bought more bits than you and with a much more expensive graphics card.

Maybe you could get a setup for around £600.00, but I'm doubtful. You'd certainly have to go for all the cheapest options, particularly the motherboard.

The i7 stock coolers, incidentally, are very good.

But me - I'd go with the Phenom build for that money - top notch machine with no compromises.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Ain't nuffin wrong with MSI, in my book, would have one over Gigabyte. ;)

:wave:

Reaction score
Presumably the AM3 socket is relatively modern and should be about for a long while yet?

Flops - I do quite like the look of the Asus mobo that you posted linky too...

Also, would this rig work with a 500w PSU?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Mucks: You always were a bit of an MSI fanboy ;)

Markets shift though and Gigabyte, although they've produced a few turkeys in their time, came into their own again with their Skt 775 boards.

I keep my ears and eyes open to what's going down and have no brand loyalty. I once favoured Abit, now I favour Asus, that's the way it goes. It's only my opinion of course but I like to think it's an informed opinion. I look and I listen.

Chris: AM3 socket about for some time yet? Who knows? lol All I can say is that it's young and it's current at this time.

Just been to see me mate using his new i7 Asus setup, he be as happy as a pig in doo-doo :)

500W should be ok, as long as it's a quality make & model that supplys steady current and doesn't just peak at 500W.

Reaction score
Re-jiggled things a bit only using 2 suppliers...

attachment.php

attachment.php

What do you reckon?

Hmm...

Thats £590 all in...Equivalent to £583.29 without the 52 in 1 card reader.

Hmm - still £20 over budget.

Attachments

• Spec 1.jpg
    Spec 1.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 110
  • Spec2.jpg
    Spec2.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Go back to the triple core, in real terms they outperform the quad core.

That'll save you more than twenty quid.

With the extra money you can ditch the Akasa fan and get a Noctua fan, should you so wish.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
As you know, CPU performance is not all dependent on CPU speed.

I commented in an earlier post that the triple core was a good choice and gave my reasons.

From all the reviews of recent AMD quad and triple cores most were agreed the triple was a contender whilst AMD quad cores were throttled and dissipated a lot of heat.

This is the main reason Intel are market leaders now, AMD just can't match their quad core performers.

And when are your folk ever going to fully utilise 4 cores anyway?

Still, it's your money Squire ;)

Reaction score
I meant to say that this system needs to be built for longevity - the previous machine lasted 5 years. Even if the Quad core isn't as fast now, is there a likelyhood that software in the future will make use of more cores?

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
As you know, CPU performance is not all dependent on CPU speed.

I commented in an earlier post that the triple core was a good choice and gave my reasons.

From all the reviews of recent AMD quad and triple cores most were agreed the triple was a contender whilst AMD quad cores were throttled and dissipated a lot of heat.

This is the main reason Intel are market leaders now, AMD just can't match their quad core performers.

And when are your folk ever going to fully utilise 4 cores anyway?

Still, it's your money Squire ;)

OK mate, cheers - if the 3.0 isn't going to be any faster than the 2.8 in Windows 7 and multiple office programs, i'll take your advice and go for the 2.8 triple core. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
I meant to say that this system needs to be built for longevity - the previous machine lasted 5 years. Even if the Quad core isn't as fast now, is there a likelyhood that software in the future will make use of more cores?

I have absolutely no idea I'm afraid, I'm not that well read ;)

I think Mucks mentioned 8 cores being a thing of the not too distant future though.

You cannnot guarantee longevity with computers though obviously the newer specced the kit you buy the longer it should remain usable.

I built my Socket 775 Dual core 2.66Ghz machine in November 2006 and at this stage I have no intentions of upgrading it.

That was a rare luxury for me, btw, I normally wait until the stuff I buy is on the second rung of the ladder, for economy's sake.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
I've read rumours that you can "unlock" a fourth core on the Phenom?!

That's a new one on me.

Maybe the fourth core is disabled for a reason though.

Like perhaps it improves performance.

Why else downgrade a CPU?

Just conjecture on my part though.

Ask a Question