Help With My New Pc... please?

Reaction score
Hello all, im new to this... i have decided to make a new pc because my pc i have no is so old and rubbish, i think its a pentium 1, 30mhz..... lol
Right, well ive decided on a few things....
These are the parts i am getting:
1. OcUK GeForce 6800 GTo 256MB DDR3 Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - OEM (GX-022-OK) (I will be getting 2 of them)
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_6800_Series.html

2. Crucial Technology 1GB 184pin DIMM PC3200 DDRRAM NP Unbuffered CL3.0

3. A nforve4 motherboard when released soon (hope end of month, this can be upgraded to 4gig which i will be doing when i get cash!)

So i guess this question is... i dont know what processor to buy.... so which one processor should i get?
I have heard the Amd Athlon 64 are the best for gaming, and as you can see from the specs, this pc is going to just be that. I have about £270 to spend on a processor. Please dont make this a Intel vs. Amd, i know i want a Amd, but im not sure which one. If you were wondering, the nforce4 board will support PCI-Express. Also with the specs i have given i dont want it to become a bottle neck. If i need a better processor for the price given i dont mind spending a bit more!
Please Advise!

Reaction score
AMD (Clawhammer)Athlon 64 3700+/2.4ghz 1mb L2 Cache 754pin Retail Boxed £336.70 (eBuyer)
Abit NF8 (Socket 754) Motherboard (MB-064-AB) (Pre-Order OCUK)
GeIL 1GB (2x512MB) PC3200 Ultra-X CAS2 (GLX1GB3200DC) (MY-042-GL) £211 (OCUK)
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 NCQ 160GB 6B160MO SATA 8MB Cache - OEM (HD-047-MD) (£63.39 OCUK)
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 NCQ 160GB 6B160MO SATA 8MB Cache - OEM (HD-047-MD) (£63.39 OCUK)
Inno3D GeForce 6800 GT 256MB DDR3 TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-000-IN) (£276.07 OCUK)

How about them for some basic components?

If you want PCI-E, i may be wrong but i think its only on Socket T and 939 - with 939 you will pay above £600 for a CPU and Socket T requires DDR2 RAM - not worth having right now as its slow.

Reaction score
Just re-read yoru original post.

Have you actually ordered those parts?

In addition to the previous post, you wont want Socket T as i read you prefer AMD. Socket T is LGA775 Intel.

If you want to pay £600 for an AMD FX-55 then you can have PCI-E too :)

Reaction score
Well thnx, i kinda need pci-express to future proof it, im sure, im sure the amd athlon 64 3500+ is a 939, and thats £208 from dabs.com/uk would that do? i really want to future proof this, as AGP X8 will die out eventually, and more PCX cards will become better and cheaper!

Reaction score
Also, i forgot to add, 1 other reason i want PCX is so that i can buy 2 of those cards that i pointed out earlier... i read that when two together it can bench on 2001 about 25,000 plus! LOL

Reaction score
I think you may have gotten the wrong end of the stick here?

You won't be able to buy two and hook them up until SLI is released, which will require a new motherboard.

There is only 1 PCI-E slot on motherboards at the moment.

As it stands, there is no real PCI-E speed advantage, or so i hear.

oh and you mean 2003 not 2001 :)

Reaction score
I know that, i said on my first post that i was waiting for the SLI to come out some time at the end of the month (according to numerous sites) as the reviewers have already got their hands on them! but you say at the moment the pcx slots (16x) for graphics cards have no major advantage, but soon PCX will kill AGP X8 and i will be left out of date, i wanted to future proof this thing.

Reaction score
Oh ok

I did some research and i see that you didn't directly mention SLI, but nForce 4 where you are interested in its third variety the SLI version.

My apologies

It will only be availiable with socket 939 so you want to go to hexus or somewhere and look for reviews on such CPU's.

You do not want an underpowered CPU with such an awesome system.

Reaction score
Yer i hope its is pretty awesome :) here is some jaw dropping stuff
I read it runs doom 3 - 1600-1200, Ultra High, AA, AF the works.. all on full... with a steady rate of 60fps! YEAH......
I'll post a thread sometime later this month when i have it all together :) and post some benches... thnx for help.....
i'll go on that site to ask... cheers :)

Reaction score
right well, ive talked to my parents... i read just a few threads on site and now i pretty much have it, i did a deal..... they get my old pc :\ lol and they will fill me inon £200 YAY so im getting the Athlon 64 FX-55 Socket 939 1MB Inc Fan, hopfully my pc will anialite all others for months to come :D

Reaction score
My god.

What kind of a budget do you have here ?! it must be IMMENSE!!

That CPU alone is more than most computers at £610 inc VAT ! ! ! ! ! !

This PC will absolutely rule!

Blimey...

If you need help speccing just ask!

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
that thing will definatly be future proff for a couple of years

Reaction score
Right......
1. Memory - £137
2. Mobo - £110 (so i have read)
3. Processor - £552
4. Vid card - £215 x 2 (£430)
I already have monitor, keyboard, mouse souns system and sound card and network card...
so that comes to a grand total of...
£1229
But im gonna buy some funky case with lots of cooling and am going to try make it as silent as possible so maybe all in all £1400, which is not bad for an amazing pc! and i had about £1300 to spend, so im paying 1200, parents will pay 200 for processor to help me out

Reaction score
added to that you need:

- A couple of Western Digital Raptors (Hard Drives) to run in RAID0 otherwise your hard drives will be the bottleneck of your system

Your not going anywhere without a hard drive.

- A Big case

-A 550w PSU (**DONT** use any less than 450w BRAND NAMED e.g. ANTEC on this system)

- A DVD-Re Writer

- A copy of windows XP

- Dare i say it... A floppy drive

- Rounded cables

- Case fans

You say you have the network and sound cards? Your motherboard would have them integrated i would assume. If its any good!

Reaction score
i have a HD, forgot to say that, its a 80gig 7200 rpm, forgot name brand.. ive got a 500w case atx, and a dvd-re writer and a copy of xp already, the case has built in fan, and yes... a floppy drive! but why should you dare to say !!!FLOPPY!!! these things are lifesavers, i read another thread where u said that cds are so cheap etc, but floppy is easy and quick!! and its smaller and cant really be scratched!!!

Ask a Question