New Monitor. Opinions please.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ok, i want a new TFT 19" :)

Been looking at the Viewsonic VX922.

Not sure i need/want a widescreen, as i dont watch movies on it i have the PC connected to my TV and 5.1 surround system if i want to watch stuff, and Flops said something about his only being 15" high although i cant remember if that was here or at BBF.

It will be mainly for gaming and my current spec is as follows....

AMD 4800 X2 @2.6Ghz
ASUS A8N32-SLI-Deluxe
7900 GTO 512MB @700/1600Mhz (Dual DVI and S-Video)
2GB Corsair XMS 3200-C2PT RAM
Creative X-FI Xtreme Music

Will this bee a good addition to the system you think? How about an alternative if its better.

Budget is around £200 give or take. (Unless its worth the extra cash)

What say you?

Cheers guys.

:thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Which monitor do you have at the moment? The Viewsonic VX922 looks fantastic, and with a system like that you'll be able to take advantage of the 2ms response time :thumb:

Toms Hardware says:

At this price, we'd have liked this to be more of an all-purpose monitor. It would also have been nice if the shell were a little more high-end looking. Unfortunately that's not case. On the other hand, this is the fastest monitor we've ever seen. Its reactivity and precision put it in a class by itself. In summary, if you have the money and if what you want is sheer performance, this is the monitor of choice. And there'll always be people for whom performance has no price.

I think the monitor looks fine and its the performance that really matters, so I think this looks like a great choice for a gaming system
nod.gif

Reaction score
I got a ViewSonic with my Mesh PC 2 years ago.
Probably the only thing that has not broken down!!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
What I was saying was that a widescreen monitor won't be the same height as a square screen monitor. Which is sortta obvious when you think about it really.

On my main system I have a widescreen TFT Samsung 20" (model Syncmaster 205BW with DVI input, about £210.00 from Overclockers)) and it's 10.75" high.

On another system I have a BenQ 19" TFT 'square' monitor (model FP91G+, DVI input, £150.00 from Staples) which is 12" high.

So it's worth considering the overall size when purchasing a widescreen monitor.

I'm very happy with both models, btw, great pix on both, and the widescreen is worth having as well, imo. And no dead pixels on either.

Both my Mum & eldest daughter have 17" BenQ TFT monitors, I've been quite impressed with this brand, despite them being at the cheapie end of the market.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ah, yes i never said what i have now did I! Sorry.:blush:

Its an AOC LM720A Not great but ok, Have had it for a good few years, reckon its time for an upgrade. :)

I understand what your saying Flops, i do like a widescreen tv but think i would prefer a standard monitor. Cheers for the advice. :thumb:

So you think its a good un then?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Well, i ordered it last night....

Got it from Ebuyer in the end, I been getting more from them recently, So far they been good. had to send one item back and got a RMA quick and no real trouble. Lets just hope they continue their good CS.....

:)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Its sat by my desk as i type! Tempted to plug it into my desktop here but will wait til i get home. :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Now up and running! Boy does it look good, a world apart from my old one.
bowdown.gif

Still tweaking with the colour and brightness etc, until i get it perfect as out the box its way too bright!

Now, if you will excuse me i is off to partake in a few maps of Call of Duty two!! :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That was my first reaction to TFT - it's too bright!

But you can change things and you'll get used to it anyway.

My Samsung has Software that gives me six different settings, I'm on the medium one I think.

I think TFT screens have come on in leaps and bounds in the last year or so, they now, to me, seem to look better than CRT screens, which initially wasn't the case.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Tell me about it, gamma seemed to be the main problem...Far to high.

Looking very nice now though.

Will have to sort out a pic later.

Do have a question though....

Before i pulled my desk apart to replace the old one, I connected the new monitor to the second DVI port on GFX card to make sure it worked. Turned on PC and my logitech G7 USB Mouse stopped working. Had to use my old MS PS/2 Mouse.

Then when i turned off pc, unplugged old monitor and plugged in new one into the same DVI port as the old monitor the mouse works fine.
confuse17.gif

Any ideas why? What did i miss?? :confused:

Ask a Question