Help with HDTune results?

Reaction score
I am a newbie, and I was hoping if someone would please help me with interpreting my HDTune results.
I have a very slow desktop with Windows XP, and a Western Digital harddrive 160GB, of which about 60GB not used,it's from 2006, I know this is old stuff, but I currently do not have resources to buy a new one. I have done a reinstall of Windows XP, and added internal memory, but this did not help. It is particularly slow in starting a new programme, such as opening a Word document.

Now I have performed a HDTune Pro trail version test. The Health was okay, except for a warning concerning airflow temp.

Here are the other tests:

File Benchmark 29-april-2013_19-29.png

Benchmark 29-april-2013_19-01.png

Error scan 29-april-2013_20-59.png

Would anyone know how to interpret this, particularly the File Benchmark does not look good, since it says in the manual it should be a more or less constant line?

Reaction score
Airflow and temperatures can contribute to slowing down of an entire system

Open your system, make sure all fans are turning freely.
If not you need to replace them or clean them.

If need be remove fan off of main heat sink and clean out in between fins on the heat sink
Build up on the Fan fins will need to be removed as well (this can cause drag.)

Check the north bridge fan as well

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you.
I have cleaned the box not long ago, but this was before I knew about the airflow temp, it was just a superficial clean. I will check this!

Reaction score
I don't understand this, I opened the system and cleaned some more, although it was quite clean. But now airflow temp has gone up to 64, instead of down, even though the computer is 38oC. How can this happen?

Ask a Question