Windows XP Help! Win98 Restore

Reaction score
Hi,
Be gentle, not too clever with computers!

1. Bought computer from Tiny (yes, I know!) in 1998, running Win 98. Came with Restore CD and diskette (Version 4.3) but WITHOUT O/S disc.
2. Recently tried to restore original settings using Restore discs (which seems to work) BUT shows up virus!
3. Virus is TRO_MBRWIPE.A and is to be found in file ZAP_HDD.COM on diskette.
4. PC-cillin can't/won't clean file.

How can I get a clean boot bearing in mind I can't re-install completely as I have no O/S disc (or can I?)??

All contributions gratefully received!

Thank you!

Reaction score
I had always assumed that the the restore cd would be your OS. Does the cd have an advanced option...or options to perform a complete recovery? Also what version of 98 do you have... there were two releases... the 98SE (second edition) was supposed to be much more stable. If you need to get a new OS cd I would recomend that one.

Reaction score
Boot Virus/Restore

Not running SE!
CD only provides ghost image of installation not full OS!

If infected file, zap_hdd.com, could be replaced - or whole diskette replaced, would the boot be clean?

Had a look on net but I could find no useful references.

Reaction score
Why not just make a copy of the disk without the suspect file or copy the disk then delete the file?

Ask a Question