Help please with Sony / LG LCD displays

Reaction score
After having problems with 3 CRT monitors over the last few months, I am considering buying a TFT display. My preferred size would be a 17 or 18", and it would be used for photo editing, word processing and watching films. Also I do a fair amount of games playing, so I would need a display with a good screen refresh rate, a pixel response of 16ms, a screen response time of 20ms. I shortlisted 2 monitors, a Sony X72 and an LG L1810B. I would like readers and users comments to the models I am considering buying, and users who have Lcd displays to give me their verdicts on their displays, and even some recommendations of their own. My budget limit is only £500 as I cannot afford any more than that. Many Thanks. Ian

PS I do need fast refresh rates for intense gaming aka Quake-3, Unreal Tournament 2003 and Red Faction-2.

:confused:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... I do need fast refresh rates for intense gaming aka Quake-3, Unreal Tournament 2003 and Red Faction-2
Then you're going to have to re-think the CRT alternative.

A TFT/LCD just can't hack it for playing games, sorry. :( Response time on CRT monitors is, several orders of magnitude, faster than on even the fastest LCDs.

Get yourself a good spec 19" and enjoy!

;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Whilst it's true a CRT tube will give you faster response times, these models are reputed to have the fastest response times available now in a TFT model and should be OK for gaming:

Hitachi TFT

It may well be worth phoning the supplier and asking their view of these Monitors being suitable for gaming.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
My monitor has a LCD has a 30ms response time, and I find that acceptable for gaming, although not brilliant. With a response time of 20ms or less, I think it should be quite reasonable indeed! The monitor that flopps just showed you has a minimum equivalent refresh rate of 70hz, excellent!

Reaction score
Many thanks for your help in me choosing an Lcd display.
Now that I have decided to buy an LG 1018B, I would like to know if it is responsive with fast games like Unreal Tournament and Red Faction-2. My graphics card is a Leadtek Winfast A250 TD Ultra GeForce-4 4600, 128mb and it has DVI, S-video and Svga out. With this genre of games, will I have ghosting and trailing and if so, how much can I expect. Many thanks again. Ian

PS I borrowed a Hitach CML174SXWB display from a colleague at Office World, and while it was acceptable on fast games, there was a fair amount of trailing (17 Seconds). Also it had a tendency to over empasise blue, and there was no way to adjust it, other than that, its a fine display at £289, but my future Lcd is the LG.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Do you have a page with the monitors specifications? I cant find the LG 1018B anywhere?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That monitor has a response time of 30ms... not bad for such a big monitor. That will make games playable, but certainly not as good as a CRT. If you are a really heavy gamer you may not like it, but I play BF1942 and other games like this without a problem at the same response time.

Reaction score
Ian,
I think you told the make of your monitor but im not sure, could you please refresh my memory, was it an LG or Hitachi.

Also could you give me the full spec of your system components including gfx card, as these magazine reviews are based on a Matrox 550 and not a GeForce. As if many people still use Matrox 550, i can think of quite a few programs as well as games that dont support it.

Thanks

Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'v got a Hercules 720 15" TFT, response time of 30ms - Supposedly one of the better ones for gaming. I'm using a GeForce 2 GTS at the moment too :)

Reaction score
Ian,
Ive been meaning to ask this for sometime. if I click on a Review Category such as Monitors, nothing happens just a blank area of the screen. Is this just me or is it part of the web page.

Ian

Reaction score
<< Floppybootstomp >>

With regard to the Hitachi CML174SXW, I obtained another from a different supplier and I have to agree with you,.........It is the
best TFT I have so far seen that handles games very well indeed.

I have used LG, Sony, Eizo and Iiyama so far, and the Hitachi is
THE best. I have no regrets paying £367 for it, as its the best I have owned / used to date.

Go on guys, give your eyes a treat and buy this monitor.

If not may you suffer and pixelate in CRT land. Now my NEC FE700 is up for sale.

Many Thanks. Ian

I feel now that its time to close this thread. Many many thanks.

Reaction score
There is no LCD monitor on the planet that can handle fast online or offline 'deathmatching' in first-person shooters...the movements are just too fast and varied - the screen can't refresh and it causes ghosting. If this is your area of gaming interest then LCD is an expensive route to disappointment.

My next statement is going to sound really arrogant, so be prepared...

If you can play any FPS DM online (or offline against bots) like Q3 or UT2003 and use an LCD monitor and find that you experience little or no ghosting, it probably means you die a lot 'cos you just ain't moving fast enough. Survival in these games is dependent largely on constant movement and fast changes of direction, often involving multiple key-taps to spin, roll, flip etc. If you stand still and win it means you are a camper!!!

(While I believe this, my comment about campers is made with my tongue firmly in my cheek;) )

...and if anyone wants to duel me in UT2003, I'll gladly oblige8) :D ;)

Reaction score
<<Integer>>

Yes you are arrogant, because did I say anything about Online gaming. NO

Have you tried gaming on a recent TFT, offline or at a Lan party ??
I doubt it.

Until you have something subjective to say, I suggest you think about what your saying or just shut the f... up.

Thread Closed

PS Dont bother replying because I wont be back here, why should I when I can get my intelligence insulted somewhere else.

Reaction score
...Mmmm...interesting response IanH...as i was not insulting your intelligence at all. Also, I flagged up the fact that I realised i was being arrogant and used emoticons to illustrate that I was being only semi-serious and also actually stated that my tongue was firmly in my cheek for part of that response.

In terms of fact, my comment about game speed did not simply relate to online games but also offline against bots (as you know, this can be just as intense as online in Q3 and UT2003 which u yourself said u will be playing)...so I don't understand your reaction against my comments on that. Oh, and by the way, I am extremely well aquainted will LAN parties. However, I am sure you know that there are LAN parties and there are 'real' LAN parties. And I'm sure (like me) you have experience of these in tournament play in Q2, Q3, UT and UT2003 - enough to know that a serious gamer will sacrifice every aspect of graphic 'effect' to achieve maximum clarity of image and speed of refresh and frame rate...an LCD would never be considered in this community. An LCD is currently purchased for its aesthetics and space-saving qualities, and not for its graphic performance.

Please, if you do come back and read this (just out of curiosity) read my post again carefully...I think u will find that it was not as insulting or personally focused as u might have first thought...that certainly was not my intent.

However, I am perfectly willing to accept that if you misinterpreted it, then it can only be because i badly phrased my message. I'm happy to apologise for that.

On another point...I have given the same advice to my own Brother who nearly paid a fortune for an LCD monitor expecting it to do what he wanted when playing games. I can not stress enough my own view that you will be wasting your hard-earned money on LCD at this time, especially if u want to play games. The point of giving advice here is to try and help others avoid the mistakes that we ourselves have made. Believe me, i have been there...and i wish someone had given me strong advice against similar decisions that i have made in the past. I have made myself feel stupid on many occasions.

Sometimes my own strength of opinion might make my posts seem a little arrogant...that's just me...and it's something i realise and that's why I state that i'm going to be arrrogant in my posts. My intention was to do whatever I could to try and make sure you didn't get a dissapointment.

It's your money, and your choice. But you wouldn't have sought advice in this forum if you knew what you were going to do. I just decided that I would advise you in a strong manner. Clearly i failed to adequately emphasise the intended 'light-heartedness' of my post.

I'm adult enough to take criticism if you feel it's warranted, and i hope you don't leave the forum. The greatest respect i can show anyone, is by taking time to read their message and actually responding to it. But I will also defend myself in this place and will not accept criticism unless substantiated in fact.

I hope this is accepted in the spirit it is intended, but if not, i am still open to a duel...in Q2, Q3, UT or UT2003...I will be using an Iiyama Vision Master Pro CRT 1411 17'' monitor...and i will seriously kick your ass...simply because I will see you faster and clearer while strafing and tapping you twice to the head with my flak cannon.
...now that's what I call arrogant :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
IanH I find no malice intent on 1nteger's part and find your comment a little confusing.

:confused:

1nteger was a little late with his response as it seems you had made up your mind and already bought the Hitachi CML174SXW.

I hope you change your mind and stay here at PCR ... if not ... sorry and goodbye.

Reaction score
Thanks for that Mucks, I appreciate an objective view on my comments:bow: I know I can be a little 'brutish' at times, but I don't think I deserved IanH's comments. However, I have sent him an email apologising if i caused offence and suggesting that he should come back to the forum.

Fotums are intended as a place for lively debate, and I'd much rather IanH come back and say; '1nteger, you're talking out of you're arse...I've already bought an LCD and it's absolutely fantastic, so go back to your ancient CRT and repent'...or something like that...perhaps he's still young.;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Oh dear :(

Good reply 1nteger, you model of tact and diplomacy you :D

What servers do you use for UT2003? And do you play MOHAA on-line?

I've just gone Broadband about a month ago and been playing lots of MOHAA online. Never had so much fun getting shot to bits all the time :D

I've tried UT2003 online a coupla times, that was pretty good as well, though I reckon I need to practice a little more - gotta get that double tap technique down to a fine art.

Reaction score
I played a little MOHAA when it came out, but I'd been playing a lot of online RTCW (Return to castle Wolfenstein) which was excellent, and eventually got a little bored with WW2 and haven't played either for several months now. UT2003 is my main online FPS at the moment...I get good ping on the NOC clan servers, and a good server is called 'Snookiwooki's house of fun' :D ...a good guy...and a good server. ..we've been discussing setting up a new clan.

A recent development tho has been the introduction of a new mod called 'Invasion'...it's basically a cross between Starship troopers and the Alamo online...you don't kill the other players, but it's a co-operative battle against increasingly nasty waves of monsters and bugs...it gets very intense. (especially using the Instagib mutator on 'godlike' skill level8))

If you want to track me down online just type 1nteger into your 'add buddy' list and it'll find me. You should make sure you're playing with the latest patch tho'...I think its 2225.

Anyway...may see u in the maps8) :D :D

Reaction score
Well, i have a Sony sd51 TFT i think, Just upgraded my Sony Vaio 2gig desktop from a Geforce 2 to an fx5800. WOW ??

No, i get a splitting (horazontally when panning. It look so jerky.

I can only think that this is the monitor trying to keep up? I run DC, BF1942 mod, for those who dont know.

And it is shocking...

If its my Monitor thats at fault here, i'll be happy - to throgh it through the winda!

Have 44.03 detonator drivers and the latest monitor driver. Running @ 1024 * 768, but the card should go some much higher shouldnt it? With everything turned on.

I will try a 17" monitor and give you the verdict!

Ask a Question