Help MS Outlook 2003 restarts with erro

William Gower

Yes it says that outlook has encountered an error and has to close and there
is a checkbox that asks if you want to restart outlook after it closes.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
William said:
Well I almost was there. I ran repair on my office installation. I
turned off logging of outlook and I was able to receive about 4
emails over a period of a couple of hours without crashing. Then out
of the blue, I got the restart window.

"restart window" ....?

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
William Gower wrote:
Faulting application outlook.exe, version 11.0.6353.0, faulting
module kernel32.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address
0x0004bca9.

Faulting application outlook.exe, version 11.0.6353.0, stamp
408f2937, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, stamp
411096b4, debug? 0, fault address 0x0004bca9.

That's it, eh?
OK - I'd back up the PST files somewhere safe, and do a total
uninstall of Office. I know you did this already, but I'd try it
again. Try running the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility as a hedge -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301 - MS
used to
make an "eraser" cleanup utility for Office 2000, but I haven't been
able to
find one for Office2003; I don't think it exists or is needed.
Then try a clean, full reinstall - set up a brand new clean profile
with a new vanilla PST file. See if it works. If that does work, you
can try replacing the PST file used in this profile by moving the
new outlook.pst file to another temporary location - open Outlook,
point it at your "real" PST file, see if it works. Then you can open
the outlook.pst file and copy any new items you wish into the inbox
of your real PST file.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
message William Gower wrote:
Nope. I deleted my email accounts and then recreated it. I
tested it and as soon as the email came in, the program crashed
and wanted to restart. I also tried it in safe mode. I also
deleted my mail profile and recreated a new one and set it as the
default and the same thing happened. What is really strange is
that it is happening for both MS Outlook 2003 and Outlook Express.

Drat. Event log errors?

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
in message William Gower wrote:
I deleted outcmd.dat and restarted Outlook and it shut down
when I clicked on the send button. I have no add-ins
installed. This morning it shut down when I was in safe mode.

OK. That's annoying!

1. Try deleting your email account(s) (control panel | mail) and
recreating
...then test.
If that doesn't work -
2. Recreate your entire mail profile from scratch.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<[email protected]>
wrote in message William Gower wrote:
I was able to start it in safe mode and receive an email and
there was no problem.

OK, so that means you've narrowed it down What addins are
installed? Tools
options | advanced options, add-in manager and com add ins.
Disable them
all. Restart Outlook. Try enabling one at a time for isolation
testing...if
this is no good, try deleting outcmd.dat (close Outlook &
search for the file, including hidden/system folders) &
reopening Outlook.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<[email protected]>
wrote in message William Gower wrote:
I can open it as long as I don't have any incoming email.
If I do then I must first into my internet provider in IE 6
and delete the mail. I have tried detect and repair and it
says that it is successful.

Even true in Outlook's safe mode?

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<[email protected]>
wrote in message
William Gower wrote:
I uninstalled Symantec AntiVirus and install McAfee. My
Eudora mail client works fine though. But I would rather
be using Outlook

Can you open Outlook at all? What about starting it once
from start | run -

<full path to outlook.exe> /safe

And then try a detect & repair from the help menu?

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<[email protected]>
wrote in message
William Gower wrote:
Incidentally I tried Outlook Express and the same thing
happens

Then it sounds like there's an underlying
Windows/Symantec problem. Have you
looked at symantec's website? Posted in a group for your
OS version?

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<[email protected]>
wrote in message
William Gower wrote:
I have updated my Symantec Virus software. I have
turned off email scanning. If an email is coming in,
then outlook 2003 restarts. If I use IE and then go
to my internet provider and delete emails in my inbox
and then start outlook it is ok until an email
arrives and then it restarts. I have removed my
outlook 2003 and then reinstalled. I have even
turned my Virus Auto off. Same thing happens. What
can I do? This just started this afternoon. Prior
to this everything was working fine. I have checked
for spyware.
I have scan my system for viruses.

What error do you get?

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

William said:
Yes it says that outlook has encountered an error and has to close
and there is a checkbox that asks if you want to restart outlook
after it closes.

Ah. Well, I hate to say it, but I'm completely out of ideas here other than
"reinstall Windows" - since you said this happens with OE, too, there's
clearly some underlying problem. Or you could try calling PSS - sorry I
can't be of more help.