Help me out with my life!

Reaction score
Howdy guys, well i'm stuck what to do next and was wondering if you guys could help with some input.

Basically, i don't know what to do next in my life, i've finished a 2 year course at college studing sport - BTEC, i lost it towards the end like everything else i do lol generally lost an interest in sport however i couldn't stop it during the second year as the first year wouldn't have counted then so had to stick it out.

I'm looking at some other courses to do, but don't know really which, i want to look further into say business, but i'm not 100% sure, as i think a computing course would be relativly easy for me considering.

Have any, if any of you done some college courses previously?

The ones i'm looking at are -
IT and business foundation degree (2 years) Studies such things as computer based systems, marketing relationships, human computer interaction and others.

Computing: Software development (2 years) Advanced database skills, computer architecture, developing computing games, etc

I know this may seem odd, but just really stuck, sport was my only thing a few years ago, untill i pulled out of all sports more or less.

Thanks.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
This probably won't cheer you up much or help you out for that matter but all the subjects you want to do are already over-subscribed and there are a lot of unemployed IT people.

You know what two trades make lots of money and for which it takes quite some time to get qualified for?

Electricians and plumbers.

Suitably qualified people in those trades earn a lot of money right now and are in demand.

There is a lot of building going on in the UK right now.

trouble is, both trades combine brains with manual work and seems to be every young wuss wants to be deskbound.

There are other trades that earn well of course, but that's just my observation.

Oh, and electronics designers can earn good money.

And consultants, but to be a consultant you need experience of something to consult about.

Reaction score
Hmmm well i don't intend to live in england as long as i can really, i intend to move out to my house in Singapore.

I know about plumbing and all that, but it's not my thing really, i do labouring for my mates dad in the summer, but other then that.

Hmmm decisions, need to make soon as applications for courses close soon so ...

One of my main passions is music, a dream would to become a music producer.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Join the Army, it pays well, you get to travel for FREE!

On second thoughts join the RAF, i wouldn't really recommend the Army to anyone, except maybe chavs and Hoodies.

Reaction score
My uncle was a old school long time member of the RAF, he said him and his mates used to just fly to islands and kick a football around on chill days lol

This sucks, if only i didn't quit sport, or something lol

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Get back into Sport?

Or perhaps a personal trainer? Loads of money what with everyone being obese and about to explode and all.

Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
Join the Army, it pays well, you get to travel for FREE!

On second thoughts join the RAF, i wouldn't really recommend the Army to anyone, except maybe chavs and Hoodies.

And may I ask why Chavs and people that wear hoodies?

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Okay people of a chav nature with ASBO and Hoodies of the same nature.

Not just people that wear hoodies, as i myself have an exstensive collection of hoodies but i don't wear my hood up in a group of twenty of us and hassle people or commit crimes.

Or should i say, the troublesome youth of today?

It might teach them something about discipline and respect for other people.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
The building trade is just entering a period of decline. Was in the news, big firms shedding workers like confetti etc etc .

user.gif

Reaction score
Well Belloni whatever you decide DON'T STUDY BUSINESS! No good going down that line.....

Wel looks like you are considering a degree. I think it's a good stepping stone to success.

See the thing with University is that it isn't all study study study I think it's a wonderful social experience and well worth the investment.

If I could I would love to be an electrician or a plumber like Flopps said, very good money IMO. Then there is the personal trainer thing very good money too. What happened to your passion for sport then?

Reaction score
On the news a while ago.

Fact.

A fellow in London required a Plumber as he had a ballcock that needed replacing,

He rang a few with no response, and then one said he would call straight away,

The plumber arrived and did the work involved; it took him 45 mins,

The owner of the house was happy and asked how much is that I owe you, the plumber said £280.45 Inc VAT. One hour @ £ 250 ballcock @ £30.45

Good god said the owner that’s more than what I earn and I’m a Barrister.

Yes said the plumber that’s why I became a plumber rather than remaining as a barrister. :nod:

Think about what FBS has said, I go along with that;)

Reaction score
psd99, well i was playing more or less county tennis and cricket, and a high standard of football.

However i broke my arm severely causing me to have plate to be put in (half the length of my forearm), this kind of restricted me in my tennis as i had a double backhand, and it basically vibrated on contact through the racket, so that soon stopped. Cricket goes tedious and boring for me, 20 overs i could cope with but not 40 overs. I have a short attention spam basically. Football, team folded as players moved on etc.

I'm really not into plumbing or that though that's the thing.

I don't think i have long to decide as i've left it very late now, i do want to go to uni, however missed the application period a while ago as i wasn't sure to do there.

I'm really leaning towards the IT and business degree currently though.

Reaction score
Belloni said:
psd99, well i was playing more or less county tennis and cricket, and a high standard of football.

However i broke my arm severely causing me to have plate to be put in (half the length of my forearm), this kind of restricted me in my tennis as i had a double backhand, and it basically vibrated on contact through the racket, so that soon stopped. Cricket goes tedious and boring for me, 20 overs i could cope with but not 40 overs. I have a short attention spam basically. Football, team folded as players moved on etc.

I'm really not into plumbing or that though that's the thing.

I don't think i have long to decide as i've left it very late now, i do want to go to uni, however missed the application period a while ago as i wasn't sure to do there.

I'm really leaning towards the IT and business degree currently though.

How about applying via UCAS for a place in September 2009?

For the year you could do a similar course or find a job.

I think you are young.
It's never too late to go to uni.

Reaction score
Well, the course i am looking at is two years, i spose a year out wouldn't hurt, give me a chance to work some money via good old tescos lol

I think i'll definatly call in tomorrow to see if i am too late about application to that degree, i know it sucks, but i don't have any other option really, i never know what i want to do really.

Reaction score
nah don't work for Tesco they suck! :) I used to work for them but not in the food section.

Well good luck fella.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
When I mentioned plumbing and electrical work, perhaps I should have expanded upon it a little.

Not everybody can legally do that work, you have to be registered now and there are strict crieria - mostly safety oriented - you have to adhere to.

Plumbers have to CORGI qualified and issue certificates with their work and plumbing is a huge area, it's not just fitting a few pipes under the sink, it's installing and maintaining central heating systems, quite a lot of knowledge involved to fix the new generation of combi boilers.

Personally, I can't stand plumbing, lol, has never been my forte but I do notice they earn very good money.

I can do domestic electrical work but not legally as I'm not qualified, minimum 3 years training to reach the minimum EEC standard. In fact I fitted a new consumer unit at my mate's house in Whistable today.

Again, it's not just domestic house wiring, there's industrial applications; working in power stations, the London Underground have a huge staff of electricians and of course there's new buildings to wire.

I'm not sure if what Abarbarian said is true but I see nothing but building going on everywhere I look over London, lottsa guys working on sites, lots of them Polish, of course.

Anyways, twas just a suggestion, if they're not your bag c'est la vie :)

In my opinion studying IT is like studying how to hire out VHS video cassette films - there justisn't the market for it anymore as everybody and his dog want to be in IT. And if you are lucky enough to get a post it soon becomes as mundane, boring and unsatisfying as most other office jobs.

If you want to be a sound engineer then study electronics, the digital and analogue side of audio in particular. You need a bit of a head for maths in that field to gain the qualification.

You could work for a movie company with an electronics qualification as well, on location movie sets need a whole host of staff from different trades, you get to travel, eat fine food from the food bus and see lots of interesting stuff.

If you're going to go back to Singapore though, do your homework, line up three professions that pay well in that country then pick your favourite.

Reaction score
Working on a movie set would be really awesome, and that is promising.

So what course could you recommend if any?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7494508.stm

Housebuilder Persimmon revealing it had cut 2,000 jobs amid woes in the UK housing market. The building firm said that completions of house sales in the first six months of the year were down 30%, during what it described as the "most challenging period in our recent history".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7496814.stm

Bovis Homes and Redrow have become the latest UK housebuilders to announce a sweeping reduction in their workforces.

Staff numbers will be cut by 40% compared with the beginning of the year at both firms.

nod.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7494508.stm

Housebuilder Persimmon revealing it had cut 2,000 jobs amid woes in the UK housing market. The building firm said that completions of house sales in the first six months of the year were down 30%, during what it described as the "most challenging period in our recent history".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7496814.stm

Bovis Homes and Redrow have become the latest UK housebuilders to announce a sweeping reduction in their workforces.

Staff numbers will be cut by 40% compared with the beginning of the year at both firms.

nod.gif

Those are private companies and the housing market is in a slump, I'll agree.

But in London at least there is a helluva lot of new homes being built right now - some outside my front door even - likely the majority for Councils and Housing Associations.

Ask a Question