Help make a better future-Join WCG today!!!

Reaction score
Greetings fellow computer enthusiasts. :)

You are obviously interested in computing or you wouldn't be here so without further ado I would like to point out a wonderful use for your computers.

The World Community Grid

In a nutshell World Community Grid is a platform that enables YOU to perform valuable scientific research with your computers.......and you know what, it is really simple and straightforward.

There is no technical knowledge required.......the only requirements are a computer and the desire to help build a better future for us and those who'll follow from us.

All you need to do is download BOINC manager, a little piece of software that enables you to run loads of different scientific projects.

Really, it is all so cool.

At the end of this message you will find a list of links and a little list of frequently asked questions.

To make the whole "distributed Computing" thing both more fun and more interesting points are awarded for each unit of work completed and there is a team structure in place.

This adds a great element of competition and friendly rivalry to things.
You will also find that there is a great distributed computing community out there on the internet.

The whole thing is a great way of forging new friendships with people from all over the world.

We have a team that represents this forum.......The PC Review Crew II, and we would really like to welcome YOU as a fellow team member.

In the whole world there are thousands of teams.....and of those thousands PC Review Crew II is ranked 66th.
Why not join us and show your support for this worthwhile project and YOUR excellent forums and who knows, with your help we could become one of the TOP 50 teams in the world, have a great deal of fun and, hopefully, further the advance of medical science.

I have a little saying for distributed computing and it seems apt for joining WCG.

"The life you save may be your own"

So please join us today and help us make a better future for everyone.:)

Frequently asked questions:

1:
Is running the software safe and secure?

Yes, and yes.
The projects go through stringent testing and as there are tens of thousands of people who run these projects the slightest question mark would raise a flag of alarm very quickly........and the distributed computing grapevine is very efficient.

Also note that this particular project is supported by IBM.....a massive company with a reputation to uphold.

2: It sounds complicated, what do I have to do?

Really it is so simple.
Basically all you have to do is download a little software application (that's safe/secure and proven) and set it to run your project(s) of choice.*

*I will shortly be adding a step by step guide to getting started.

3: What hardware can run these projects?

Basically any modern computer is capable of running the work, but the requirements vary from project to project.
But the software for running this is clever and will not send you work that your machine is unable to do.

4: But what about getting work? My computers aren't always online?

That isn't a problem because there are settings available that allow you to download enough work to last you a certain amount of days, so you need never run out of work to process, and you don't have to be always online.
You only need to be online when sending work and to receive new work to do.

5: This is voluntary right, so why should I bother?

Yes it is all voluntary.
But ask yourself this.......In your lifetime how many times has your life been touched by cancer/Parkinsons disease/Alzheimers disease and many others?

These diseases touch the lives of everyone.

This is YOUR CHANCE to fight back against these blights on humanity and all it takes is your willingness to join in.

The only possible reason NOT to take part is the slight increase in electricity costs......but you don't have to run it all the time.
If you turn your computers off when you aren't doing anything that's fine and dandy.

But whilst your machines are on, why not have them quietly doing this wonderful medical research in the background???

6: I'm a hardcore gamer, won't running this slow me down?

No......the software will back off when you are doing other intensive things with your computer....as I said earlier it is clever.
If you need the cpu cycles for other stuff it will simply back off, freeing up your resources for the other stuff.....and take up the full cycles again when the computer isn't busy with other stuff.

LINKS:

World Community Grid Homepage
Join The PC Review Crew II Team Here
Download BOINC Manager Here

The following links offer a visual installation guide:

How to install Boinc
(note: On step 4 I recommend option 1 for a beginner).

Connecting to a project

(For step 2 you enter
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/)

Useful FAQ

If you have any questions just ask........there is a Crunchers Corner section in the forum dedicated to WCG.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I will be revisiting the opening post to edit as time permits.

Links added including a step by step visual installation guide.:)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't know if the above posting is any good or not.
But if you wish to edit it/add to it or whatever and post it to your frontpage be my guest. :)

Any important info missing?

It's all off the top of my head but I hope it makes some sense

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Looking good so far Pup :thumb: - when you've finished I'm sure Ian will give it the once over and put it on the front page
nod.gif

Reaction score
If you wanna post to the front page go ahead.
Adding more will make it too wordy and may bore folk
nod.gif

Ask a Question