Help Build Adywebb A New Rig!!

Reaction score
i would imagine that the athlon 3800+ and the intel dual 3ghz would be about the same in performance, except intel nearly always have the edge by a slight margin in very intense tasks.

However Athlon chips run cooler, quieter and use considerably less power than the intel duals.

Amd are great.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Cheers PotGuy, its looking like its swaying towards the AMD system at the moment...

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i like the AMD system but drop the 75GB raptor and get 2 36's then get a 250 or 300GB for your storage, the dual core intels only have the 'edge' if they are HT enabled if not then AMD walk all over them , the only one i know of with HT is the 840EE

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
i like the AMD system but drop the 75GB raptor and get 2 36's then get a 250 or 300GB for your storage, the dual core intels only have the 'edge' if they are HT enabled if not then AMD walk all over them , the only one i know of with HT is the 840EE

2 x 36.7 GB Rapters it is then, that saves me £50, and as I can't afford the extra £500 for the 840EE it looks like its the AMD system :thumb:

Any other observations by anyone before I order the parts?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
ME is correct ... the only Intel worth anything is the 840EE ... shame Intel still build cheap, mark-up high. ;)

Any other observations by anyone before I order the parts?
Yep, what is wrong with the 'old' system. :D

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Yep, what is wrong with the 'old' system. :D

Nothing really, its an Athlon XP 2000+ , perfectly adequate for everyday use - just fancied having a go at building my own and thought I might as well go for something more up to date.

The old one will be consigned to crunching duties only:thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Nothing really, its an Athlon XP 2000+ , perfectly adequate for everyday use - just fancied having a go at building my own and thought I might as well go for something more up to date.

The old one will be consigned to crunching duties only:thumb:
OK, just could not remember what you had ... Oh, and I got some bits today.

;)

Reaction score
Its not just my batch Flops - i use it in most systems i build for people, and thats a good few! done probably 10 this year and all worked flawlessly. I think they got their act together...i havent heard of any problems with this stuff.

But theres no difference in price between it and corsair realy - the Geil just looks way better ;)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Thanks one and all - going for the AMD system and ordering the parts tomorrow:thumb:

Probably end up getting them all in one place from Overclockers, but just wondering if anyone had any other suggestions, or seen any recent offers on the componants I need?

Reaction score
Are you getting the Sapphire X800 GTo2 - thats the one that everyones raving about and WELL worth the money...?

Overclocking a grahics card is much easier than CPU...

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Are you getting the Sapphire X800 GTo2 - thats the one that everyones raving about and WELL worth the money...?

Overclocking a grahics card is much easier than CPU...

Don't think so Chris, I don't do gaming so I think it would be a waste.

Thanks for info on the Akasa case though, it looks very smart and good quality:thumb:

Reaction score
fair play.

Yeha the akasa eclipse 62 (i think its 62)...its awesome :) quite wide and big - so plenty of room for stuff

Before you order, make sure you add 1 Akasa ultra quiet 120mm case fan (they are about a tenner each) but they chuck out loads of air and are silent, so keep comp REALLY quiet.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
fair play.

Yeha the akasa eclipse 62 (i think its 62)...its awesome :) quite wide and big - so plenty of room for stuff

Before you order, make sure you add 1 Akasa ultra quiet 120mm case fan (they are about a tenner each) but they chuck out loads of air and are silent, so keep comp REALLY quiet.

Cheers Chris, consider it ordered:thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Having scoured the web for the mobo, I notice in a couple of customer reviews for the Asus A8N - SLi Deluxe saying that it has a noisy chipset fan.

Am I right in saying that the Premium version has a fanless heat pipe cooling system, and is it worth the extra £15?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
And also, I think, an extra set of SATA ports, meaning you can have a RAID config on one controller and a further SATA disk for storage on the others.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Well after all your helpful advice folks, I have finally built the new PC and its up and running, bar putting on the usual ancillary programs etc:

AMD 64 X2 3800+ Manchester
Asus A8N-Sli Premium
2GB Corsair XMS3200PT RAM - matched pair
2 x Samsung Spinpoint 80GB SATA II (Raid0)
1 x Samsung Spinpoint 160 SATA II
Leadtek Winfast PCX6600GT
Plextor PX-130A DVD-ROM
NEC ND4550 DVDRW DL
Thermaltake Soprano Case
Hiper TypeR 580W PSU

(always interesting to see how the final build differs from the original specs!)

Build went really well, that Hiper PSU is quality, quiet and a dream to work with (Thanks Chris Postill;) ).

Only real difficulty was getting the Raid0 set up correctly first time, its not explained that well in the Asus user guide, but I scoured various user forums and got the relevant info there.
(one thing to note on this, if your going to raid with sata II HD's with this mobo, always use the nvidia sata raid controller and not the Silicon Image set as it doesn't support sataII - also apparently the nvraid controller is faster and more stable due to its direct integration with the nvidia chipset drivers, and also update the bios via a DOS boot disk prior to connecting your hardware)

Apart from that, had Windows XP Pro and all device drivers installed and running in under 2 hours, and it seems to fly!

Must admit as it was my first build, I thought I had bitten off more than I could chew with raid etc - but have to admit it was easier than expected and so rewarding, I would encourage everyone to have a go, just do your homework on the net first;)

Thanks again everyone - this machine is now crunching for the team!!:thumb:

:D

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Hiper TypeR 580W PSU

(always interesting to see how the final build differs from the original specs!)

Build went really well, that Hiper PSU is quality, quiet and a dream to work with (Thanks Chris Postill;) ).

Thats good to hear, thats the same PSU im getting tommorow :)

Thanks for that

Ask a Question