Help Build Adywebb A New Rig!!

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Ok Guys and Gals, its time for me to build my first PC - especially as Mr Imrie is catching me fast at WCG:p

I don't do gaming, but use it mainly for for office multi-tasking/Video encoding/DVD Burning etc, and obviously crunching!
The main thing being that there will be a bit of room for upgrading in the future.

I'm not going to tell you my budget, because you lot will spend it all and probably more - so lets just say money is not too tight;)

I've perused Overclockers and come up with something like this so far, I would welcome your comments/advice, particularly as far as processor/HD's and graphics are concerned.

1. Pentium D 830 3Ghz Smithfield
2. Asus P5WD2 Premium MB
3. 2GB Corsair XMS-6400 DDR2 (matched pair)
4. Antec Sonata II Piano Case with SmartPower 2.0 450W power supply
5. Leadtek Winfast PCX6600GT Graphics
6. 2 x Hitachi Deskstar HD's SATA-II (80gb & 250gb)
7. Plextor PX-130A DVD-ROM - black
8. NEC 3550 DVD-RW/DL - black

Total cost around £1000 at OC's.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Would you consider going down the AMD route? I think they are stronger at the moment and you'll probably get much more out of it (with dual core for your editing anyway).

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I think your right if I was going down the gaming route, but the Pentium D is a dual core chip also and got some good scores in a recent video-encoding comparison.

However I have considered the AMD Athlon64X2 3800+ Manchester as an alternative, its only about £20 more.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ok, on a serious note, looks good to me.

But - overclockers put all their prices up recently, you'll get cheaper prices than theirs. Shop around, I reckon you could save at least eighty quid.

Overclock are a very good supplier, they always used to be dearer than overclockers, but I bet they're not any more. Worth checking out.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Thanks for the input Flops, do you think I'm going OTT with the RAM? - was wondering how much difference in performance it would be if I used Corsair Value Select instead - as its a bit cheaper.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Thanks for the input Flops, do you think I'm going OTT with the RAM? - was wondering how much difference in performance it would be if I used Corsair Value Select instead - as its a bit cheaper.

Nope, for video encoding the more ram the merrier, and a 2gb matched pair is fast becoming the norm now.

I use Corsair value select, it's good stuff. It's only drawback is that it doesn't overclock at all well.

Reaction score
GeIL value from experience overclocks nicely, it's dirt cheap too. Had my P4 2.8 overclocked to a stable 3.2GHz when i was borrowing Stingrays 1Gb Value GeIL. Have a look - it's good stuff, looks awesome too...not that that matters ;)

What about getting 2x 250 disks, or 2 80Gb and 1 250Gb - you could have a RAID0 array to improve file loading times - good for whe you tranfer files lots. Use the array for windows and programs, and the 250Gb for storing files.

Why do you need a DVD-Rom and a DVD-Rw - the latter does everything... why not get a nicer RW - or two of the NEC's - they are only £25 a go... i bet a DVD rom isnt much less.

Get a Sapphire (the OCUK one) X800GT - about the same price as a 6600GT but overclocks to X850XT speeds.

Defo go for AMD socket 939 - the AN8SLI Fatality board is nice to work with too ;)

the Akasa Eclipse cases are also very, very good. they are worth a look - bundle that with a Hiper TypeR 580w inaudiable PSU and your laughing.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Thanks Flops, I'll stick with that then:thumb:

Last question, is the Graphics Card OK for my primarily non-games use, its about £100 at OC's, wondering if I can get away with something cheaper or if theres a better alternative from ATI?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Just read your suggestions Chris - give me chance to have a look and I'll be back with more questions!;)

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Get a Sapphire (the OCUK one) X800GT - about the same price as a 6600GT but overclocks to X850XT speeds.

You want the Sapphire GTO2 btw

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
PotGuy said:
You want the Sapphire GTO2 btw

Potguy speak truth.

But - if you're not heavily into gaming the 6600GT will do you just fine.

You probably could get away with a lesser card actually, but in a setup with a spec that good, why settle for less?

I'd say the 6600GT should be a starting point for that system.

It will also handle most every game, just as a bonus.

The Antec Sonata with the 450W Truepower PSU is something of a bargain actually, means you get the case realistically for about twenty quid and it really is very quiet.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Ok Chris, here we go with your suggestions:

I'm not into overclocking (mainly because I don't know what I'm doing, so I'll break something), so I would rather go for the Corsair DDR2 matched pair for performance and stability.

I like the idea of 2 x HD's for windows and programs, and a 250GB for storage in a RAID0 array, can I get away with smaller drives than 80GB for the windows and programs? Maybe a couple of rapters?

I only need the one DVD-RW and I need a separate DVD-ROM for 'on-the-fly' copying.

Quite happy to go for the Sapphire X800GT as its a similar price.

Like the look of the Akasa Eclipse case, but its already £80 without a PSU - add the Hiper PSU for another £60 and it starts to look expensive - would the 450W Smartpower PSU supplied with the Antec Sonata II be up to the job?

Now the contentious issue - the processor - I'm happy with either to be honest, but if I'm not gaming is AMD still the only way to go?
I suppose the big question regarding the processor/mobo combination is which would be the better for future upgrades?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The Antec 450W PSU will cope with your proposed system.

Add some more stuff and look towards a bigger PSU.

As ever, the old maxim applies - you only get what you pay for.

X800GT is good :)

I never thought I'd recommend Intel and I have very little experience of Pentium chips, but if I'm to believe all of what folks have said here and on other forums, if gaming isn't your priority and rendering video is, I'd go for the 3Ghz jobbie.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Potguy speak truth.

But - if you're not heavily into gaming the 6600GT will do you just fine.

You probably could get away with a lesser card actually, but in a setup with a spec that good, why settle for less?

I'd say the 6600GT should be a starting point for that system.

It will also handle most every game, just as a bonus.

The Antec Sonata with the 450W Truepower PSU is something of a bargain actually, means you get the case realistically for about twenty quid and it really is very quiet.
How do you do that Flops - answering my questions before I get the chance to ask them?

Reaction score
I have never, ever, in my life seen problems because of Corsair, Geil or OCZ value RAM being un-stable.

If your not going to overclock, then i would personally recommend you save the money and go for GeIL value RAM and save yourself a wad of cash. Its when you overclock that you get stability issues...

I would also go AMD - they are the best at the moment... By the way, you use DDR for AMD, not DDR2... i don't think DDR2 is as fast yet, latency issues...at least that used to be the case if not any more.

The PSU should be ok... others might want to confirm this...

The Antec sonata is a good case, if your into blue lights on the front :) i prefered the Akasa though, its awesome to use, very well built. But its expensive. its up to you...!

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
OK then, based on the various recommendations, how about this then:

1. AMD Athlon64X2 3800+ Manchester
2. Asus A8N - SLi Deluxe Mobo
3. Geil 2GB PC3200 Value Select Dual Channel RAM
4. 1 x WD Rapter 36.7GB HD (OS), 1 x WD Rapter 74 GB HD (Programs), 1 x WD Caviar SE SATA II 250GB HD (storage)
5. Akasa Eclipse Case/ Hiper TypeR 580W PSU
6. Sapphire X800GT
7. Plextor PX-130A DVD-ROM - black
8. NEC 3550 DVD-RW/DL - black

Total cost £1070 at OC's

So, basically I've cut back on the price of the Mobo/RAM and spent more on the HD's, Case and PSU (have to admit the Akasa case looks class Chris!)

Now can folks give me opinions on how this compares to the Intel system in my first post please!

Cheers :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I haven't got a clue how it compares to the Intel system cos I don't know Intel that well, but it sure looks like a good system to me.

I know Chris likes Geil RAM, but I have a long memory and when their memory first appeared, it was slated.

And all the reviews I read now put Geil last out of all the 'name' brands. Maybe Chris got lucky with his batch, I don't know, but I don't favour Geil. Corsair doesn't cost a great deal more and I've never, ever, had a problem with Corsair.

I usually buy either Corsair or Crucial, but that's just me.

The motherboard specced in your last post is a known favourite and a goodie.

A case is a matter of personal preference, a PSU is a matter of budget, within limits. Your choice.

To buy two 35Gb Raptors and not RAID them would be a sin, they really work lightning fast in a RAID 0. Consider making a RAID 0 config and putting OS & Programs on it.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Thanks Flops, I must admit I would prefer to use the Corsair Value Select - its only a few quid more.

Don't worry, if I go for the rapters they will be in a RAID0:thumb:

Ask a Question