Windows XP ...has encountered a problem and needs to close!!!!!!!!

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
I've got my overheating problem sorted, but now I want to make a movie with Windows Movie maker to upload to youtube.
Now when I open Windows Movie maker, 2 secs later without doing anything, It says
Windows Movie Maker has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Error Signature
AppName: moviemk.exe AppVer: 2.1.4026.0 ModName: qedit.dll

ModVer: 6.5.2600.2180 Offset: 0001a513

The Bold was copied and pasted.

Please help!!!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Dunno myself, but ...

QEDIT.DLL - Direct Show Editing - c:\Windows\System32 - 511,488 bytes of 8/29/02 > SP2's file is version 6.5.2600.2180, 562,176 bytes of 8/4/04 >> intervideo was the problem

6/1/07 forum post... use Tools > Options > Compatibility tab > turn off the video filter ffdshow.ax.

3/18/05 - when I start Movie Maker it crashes straight away... faulting application moviemk.exe, version 2.1.4026.0, faulting module qedit.dll, version 6.5.2600.2180, fault address 0x0001a513 >>

1/2/05 (Ray) - Faulting application moviemaker.exe 2.0.3312.0 Faulting module qedit.dll, version 6.5.2600.2180 fault address oxoo1b2af > (Microsoft) There's a component in Direct Show which caches the information about the effects and transitions that are registered upon your system. Unfortunately there's a bug in that component which causes it to crash if you have a lot of transitions and effects installed. MovieMaker calls this routine on startup which is why you're seeing MovieMaker crash.

Fortunately there is a workaround by doing something like the following.
  • 1. Find an application which has registered a bunch of effect filters.

2. Rename the directory that the application is installed into to something else - which will temporarily cause those effect filters to fail to load.

3. Start MovieMaker. As less effects are successfully created, MovieMaker should hopefully launch.

4. Rename the directory in step 2 back to it's original name so the original application still works. 5. Start MovieMaker again. As everything was successfully cached in step 3 it shouldn't try to recache things so it should continue to work..
As an example of an application for step 1, I've seen people run into this problem with applications installed from InterVideo. (This isn't a bug in InterVideo's application - it's a Microsoft bug it's just that InterVideo applications can install a bunch of DirectShow filters). In this case you would go to your "C:\Program Files\InterVideo" directory and rename "InterVideo" to something like "TempInterVideo". Then start MovieMaker. Once it has launched, close it down and rename "TempInterVideo" back to "InterVideo". > (Ray)... did exactly as you said and all seems to be well... I did have Intervideo installed so that seems to be the one that was interfering. > (Nick)... I got a different crash this time... I did rename the InterVideo to InterVideoxxx to get this far... any other ideas?

9/6/04 - Franz - I get an error message when starting MM2: AppName: moviemk.exe AppVer: 2.1.4026.0 ModName: qedit.dll ModVer: 6.5.2600.2180 Offset: 0001a513 > ... I have solved my problem. Two Intervideo-AX-Files (ivi*.ax) in an "forgotten" Intervideo-Folder as well as in c:\windows. After deleting them Movie Maker 2.1 is working!

5/6/04 - Philip - I am receiving a qedit.dll error when I launch Movie Maker. AppName: moviemk.exe AppVer: 2.0.3312.0 ModName: qedit.dll ModVer: 6.5.1.900 Offset: 00018c80 - I have loaded WMM 2 and DirectX 9.0b. I also have WMP 10 loaded.

3/23/04 - Diane - I have tried to install movie maker 2, which it did as version 5.1 build 2600.spsp2.030422-1633: Service Pack 1 movie maker version 2.0.3312.0 . Every time I open it I end up with the error message "Window Movie Maker has encountered a problem and needs to close. The data in the error report says--- AppName: moviemkerror.exe AppVer: 2.0.3312.0, ModName: qedit.dll ModVer: 6.5.1.900 Offset: 00018ff3, I have tried reinstalling it, unistalling it... installing it with copying and pasting from a movie maker2 that worked on another computer, all to no avail, it still keeps closing.

11/11/03 - Tim - I am compiling a slideshow in WMM. I constantly get told that WMM has encountered an error and must close. The error report details are as follows: AppName: moviemk.exe, AppVer: 2.0.3312.0, ModVer: 6.5.1.900, ModName: qedit.dll, offset: 0000ad31 > Richard - I am having the same error, I also get it when I go to my pic folder on my other drive I have? I was thinking maybe a ram problem but with 256 I don't think so... > I doubt that this applies, but just in case... If you have DirectX 8.1 or earlier installed and have two programs trying to use this dll at the same time, the second program will crash. This is a forced condition by Microsoft... I would suggest that you do the following (if you have not already done so). Install the latest version of DirectX from Microsoft (I think the latest is Ver 9.0b). Install Windows Media Player 9.

2/10/03 - Brian Ahern - installed DirectX9 and this resolved the problem with QEDIT.DLL and seems to have stopped all crashes. I still can't produce a movie, but I think it runs out of real memory before it finishes. I end up with a movie that is incomplete. I'm going to buy another 512Mb of RAM and see if that helps. > 2/11/03 - OO - I tried DirectX9 to no avail. I thought mem paging should prevent an app running out of real mem? If this is the problem it could explain my issue - but I am not sure it is.

2/8/03 - heattreater - I found out what caused the crash. It's the beta version of WinDVD Creator from Intervideo. I unistalled it at qedit.dll does not crash MM2 on load.I have no idea if the released version has the same bug.

2/7/03 - heat treater - crash at load time - ModName: qedit.dll ModVer: 6.5.1.900 Offset: 00018c80

2/7/03 - Brian Ahern - tried renaming QEDIT.DLL, but Windows XP® is too clever for that. As soon as I did it, the DLL was replaced with a file of the same attributes. Anyway, I tried saving again and got the same crash with QEDIT.DLL. I tried forcing the movie to save with a maximum size. Again, the problem always occurs at the end of producing the movie. At one point the movie saved slightly more than normal before crashing. (an extra 8 photos made it). It is a pain when it crashes because it always seems to happen at around 90% (which takes around 30 mins to get this far).

2/6/03 - heat treater - I'm having qedit.dll crash MM2 at startup. - ModVer: 6.5.1.900 Offset: 00018c80 - I tried DirectX 8.1 or 9.0 they both crash. Checked for another instance qedit.dll loaded by another app, using system info. Only time I can see it load is when I start up MM2 and Crash. This bug occurs on two systems. Other systems seem to work fine. Tried changing Video board of system that worked but I have the same error. It does not seem to be a video driver problem. Running it through Visual Studio Debugger I get a unhandled exception error. 2/6/03 - OO - BINGO! - I renamed the two instances of qedit (win32 and servicepack files) to qedit.dll_ and I can now save in DV- AVI, send to camcorder..etc...
... does that help?

http://www.papajohn.org/MM2-Modules.html

:user:

Reaction score
Windows movie maker 2.1 encountered an error qedit.dll

If Microsoft automatic updates has installed Internet Explorer 7 onto your pc windows movie maker won't work. I don't know if they are in denial about this or not. I didn't care what they thought. Try going to add/remove programs and uninstall IE_7. This will roll back to IE_6. If movie maker still does not work then goto Start > Run > type in the box %systemroot%/inf > Click OK then find moviemk.inf right click on it and click on install in the drop down menu. System install will do a reinstall without any verbose jargon or feedback. Reboot and it should work. Otherwise I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited:

Ask a Question