Windows XP Hard drives and storage devices full when they're not??!!

Reaction score
I have an Acer Inspire 1690 laptop, and recently have been getting some strange capacity anomalies.

For example, today, I was unpacking a file with Winrar to my external Freeagent 320GB hard drive and midway through I got an error message saying that the disk was full. I checked the disk and it has 82GB free on it and the file I was unpacking was just 1GB.

This follows a series of similar events. Last week I bought a new MP3 player (8GB Samsung YP-P2) and whilst I was transfering some movies to it, windows threw up an error that the device was full. Upon checking, just 3GB of the 8GB was used and the movie files only totalled about 1GB. I did a test and deleted everything from the MP3 player and the device under my computer showed as still being full!!??

Another time recently, I was transfering some files onto a Micro SD card and I had the same problem - windows reporting that the card was full when it clearly wasn't. I think I had to restart windows to sort it out.

Is this a known issue? Has anyone else had this problem?

My laptop is 2 years old and is extensively used daily and is probably in need of a clean Windows install. Will that fix it?

Any help is greatly appeciated.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Can't help with your problem but running CC Cleaner will help get rid of crud and may make your pc perform better .

http://www.ccleaner.com/

user.gif

Reaction score
Do a Virus scan with Kaspersky AV free trail this can only be a vuirs thats causing this problem.

wizkid

Reaction score
This isn't a well known problem and I can't find any "fixes" for it (there's only 'Disk Full' errors when saving Word Documents too often (to resolve that you disable 'Sharing') that is a known bug), the only thing I can think of is formatting the devices and see where that gets you?

Have you tried doing the same procedures on another computer? I highly recommend doing this to see whether it's your computer at fault or your devices.

================================
// Solutions if it turns out to be your devices
Format the devices -> Reinstall the drivers (minus with the external Hard Drive, perhaps contact the manufacturer) ...and try again.

// Solutions if your computer is at fault
A virus could well be doing this so do run avast! on boot up before anything else {of course making sure the virus definitions are up-to-date}.
Using the CCleaner I doubt will resolve your problem as it's a problem with your computer and/or device, CCleaner only cleans application data--could try it, no harm in trying, but I personally wouldn't recommend it for this issue.

If all else fails: You ]could] try formatting your computer and install a fresh copy of Windows but I'd hold on that until some people have had a chance to respond, but I'm guessing it is your best bet.

Last edited:

Ask a Question