USB storage devices and file systems

Reaction score
When i try to use my usb portable drive or my MP3 player an instant message appears at the bottom right of my screen saying "usb device not recognised" then it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting then when it connects i go to my computer and try to access it but nothing is inside or "there is an I/O device error".

I click proporties to check for any problems and the thing i notice is that the file system is unknown and the amount of memory is not shown.

When storage devices used to work on my computer the file system was FAT so maybe i need that but i don't how to get it or fix it.

I'm too confused with the whole situation!!

Reaction score
You've got Windows XP right? I would delete all the items out of the USB Controllers in device manager and then reboot at let the PC reinstall them all. This has worked in the past for me, FAT32 which i'm guessing is what the file system is at the moment should be fine.

Ask a Question