Hard drive upgrade woes

CronoMST

I'm currently running a system with 2 HDs. One of them,
the master, starting making various "I'm gonna die soon"
noises, so I got a new one.

I ghosted the contents of the old drive (12 gig) to the
new one (40 gig), then set it to master. But rather than
load correctly, it blue screens during loading and gives
me a Stop error (Unknown Hard Error in ntdll.dll).

I thought that maybe something got corrupted during the
copy, so I did it again. Same result.

I am at a total loss. I don't know if it matters, but
when I originally installed Win2000, the 12 gig drive
(currently my master) was set to Slave at the time, so
it's drive letter has been permenantly set to D: even
after switching it to the master drive. Just throwing
that out there in case it is somehow significant.

Pegasus \(MVP\)

CronoMST said:
I'm currently running a system with 2 HDs. One of them,
the master, starting making various "I'm gonna die soon"
noises, so I got a new one.

I ghosted the contents of the old drive (12 gig) to the
new one (40 gig), then set it to master. But rather than
load correctly, it blue screens during loading and gives
me a Stop error (Unknown Hard Error in ntdll.dll).

I thought that maybe something got corrupted during the
copy, so I did it again. Same result.

I am at a total loss. I don't know if it matters, but
when I originally installed Win2000, the 12 gig drive
(currently my master) was set to Slave at the time, so
it's drive letter has been permenantly set to D: even
after switching it to the master drive. Just throwing
that out there in case it is somehow significant.

After ghosting, which partition is your system on:
The first, or the second? It has to be the same as
before!

From: "Bruce Chambers" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware
Subject: Re: New Computer, but W2K refuses to run
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 18:43:17 -0600

Greetings --

Normally, unless the new motherboard is virtually identical to the old one
(same chipset, IDE controllers, etc), you'll most likely need to perform a
repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at the very least (and don't
forget to reinstall any service packs and subsequent hot fixes):

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q292175

What an In-Place Win2K Upgrade Changes and What It Doesn't
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952

If that fails:

How to Move a Windows 2000 Installation to Different
Hardware
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q249694&ID=KB;EN-US;Q2
49694

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

----
having both at once. -- RAH

From: "James Barr" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Replaced Motherboard
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 20:20:26 +0100

I had the same problem once and did the following which sorted it out:

Create an NT boot disk (format a disk on a 2000 machine [either pro or
server] copy to that disk the following files

boot.ini
ntdetect.com
ntldr
)
then edit the boot.ini and make sure the arc paths are correct for your
system then delete the /fastdetect switch.

Then boot from the floppy disk. Once you've booted once from the floppy it
should be OK to boot from the Hard Disk

Hope this helps

James

From: "Bruce Chambers" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: changing motherboards and CPU's
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 19:53:20 -0700

Greetings --

Unless the new motherboard is virtually identical to the old one (same
chipset, IDE controllers, etc), you'll most likely need to perform a repair
(a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at the very least (and don't forget
to reinstall any service packs and subsequent hot fixes):

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q292175

Bruce Chambers
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

----
having both at once. -- RAH

[Source of following lost - sorry.]

Boot using your Windows CD
Go to the Repair Console and run the following options.

chkdsk c:
fixboot c:
fixmbr c:

See if they resolve the issue. Sometimes Windows 2000 disks aren't totally
pleased with being popped onto a new board as such.

CronoMST

Oops. No, the old hard drive that I copied isn't still in
there. There is only one OS. Win2k on one drive (which
is set to Master). The other drive is just my misc junk
(and it is set to Slave).

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Wolf Kirchmeir said:
[...]

Ghosting works very well with Win2000, as long as you use the same
disk type (that is: IDE in each case) and the same motherboard. I have
personally moved dozens of Win2000 installations to larger disks.

<snip>

Wolf Kirchmeir

Ghosting works very well with Win2000, as long as you use the same
disk type (that is: IDE in each case) and the same motherboard. I have
personally moved dozens of Win2000 installations to larger disks.

<snip>

Agreed, it works _if_ you do some preparatory work, and follow a strict
step-by-step procedure (as I'm sure you know.) Unfortunately, the OP didn't
do that. It's not just a case of "Ghost-n-go." Wish it were. :)

IMO the OP has messed up his system so thoroughly that his only hope is to
salvage some data and reinstall W2K.