    away from the power plug. When I fire up, the machine sees both master
    and slave in bios, but in Win2000 there is no trace of the new drive.
    What's wrong here?

    W. eWatson, Nov 22, 2009

  2. W. eWatson

    Dave Patrick Guest

    Are you looking in Disk Management snap-in?

    --

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Dave Patrick, Nov 23, 2009

  3. W. eWatson

    W. eWatson Guest

    Dave Patrick wrote:
    > Are you looking in Disk Management snap-in?

    I have no idea what that is.

    Here's the latest.

    The two drives are identical, 120G WD drives, same models. Yesterday I
    discovered if I went into bios with the two drives, the slave being the
    new one and fresh out of the box w/o any use whatsoever, they differed
    in size, cylinders and so on. However,I hooked up the single (new one)
    questionable HD to the master position on the IDE cable, and removed
    the jumpers. It showed the correct 120GB, and other parameters. I then
    used the other cable, and got the same results. It would seem to me that
    sufficient power is reaching the end of the cable, and likely the middle
    connector.

    Awhile ago, I went to a repair shop and mentioned this to them. They
    said try SP4 for W2k. I hope it exists.

    W. eWatson, Nov 24, 2009
  4. W. eWatson

    Dave Patrick Guest

    Start|Run|diskmgmt.msc

    SP4? Yes, it exists.

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

    Dave Patrick, Nov 24, 2009
  5. W. eWatson

    W. eWatson Guest

    Dave Patrick wrote:

    > Start|Run|diskmgmt.msc
    >
    > SP4? Yes, it exists.
    >
    > http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

    Well, running diagnostics said the drive was OK, but it has no way to
    format it, nor does diskmgmt.msc, as far as I can tell. I see something
    about a volume, but am not sure what to use if it does indeed format a
    drive. It shows the slave as drive 1, and wanted me to write a
    signature, which I did. It shows that drive as 7.87G, which probably is
    its wild guess at the unformatted drive.

    W. eWatson, Nov 24, 2009
  6. W. eWatson

    W. eWatson Guest

    W. eWatson wrote:
    > Dave Patrick wrote:
    >>
    >> Start|Run|diskmgmt.msc
    >>
    >> SP4? Yes, it exists.
    >>
    >> http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE
    >>

    > Well, running diagnostics said the drive was OK, but it has no way to
    > format it, nor does diskmgmt.msc, as far as I can tell. I see something
    > about a volume, but am not sure what to use if it does indeed format a
    > drive. It shows the slave as drive 1, and wanted me to write a
    > signature, which I did. It shows that drive as 7.87G, which probably is
    > its wild guess at the unformatted drive.

    Well, I'm getting closer. I tried Help and it shows, more or less, how
    to format the drive. Unfortunately, it thinks the limit is 8G.

    W. eWatson, Nov 24, 2009
  7. W. eWatson

    W. eWatson Guest

    W. eWatson wrote:
    > W. eWatson wrote:
    >> Dave Patrick wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Start|Run|diskmgmt.msc
    >>>
    >>> SP4? Yes, it exists.
    >>>
    >>> http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE
    >>>

    >> Well, running diagnostics said the drive was OK, but it has no way to
    >> format it, nor does diskmgmt.msc, as far as I can tell. I see
    >> something about a volume, but am not sure what to use if it does
    >> indeed format a drive. It shows the slave as drive 1, and wanted me to
    >> write a signature, which I did. It shows that drive as 7.87G, which
    >> probably is its wild guess at the unformatted drive.

    > Well, I'm getting closer. I tried Help and it shows, more or less, how
    > to format the drive. Unfortunately, it thinks the limit is 8G.

    I think I need to partition the drive, but here's my problem now. It
    appears diskmgmt.msc is different between W2K and XP. I'm, of course,
    using W2K. If I look at help it wants me to right click on disk 1 to see
    a menu with Partition on it. Well, the only choice is pretty much Create
    Volume. When I do I get a volume wizard. It shows the max size for the
    volume as 8G. There are two windows. The right one says Disk 1 and the
    other is empty. Betwen them are arrow pointing to the left. One is
    remove volume, and the other is remove all. I select remove volume, and
    the size drops to 0 and Disk 1 appears in the left window. Going further
    gets me nowhere. In factt, the dynamic volume disk1 hasn't changed.
    Very odd.

    I think there's a disk mgmt in Control Panel that may be different.
    Dunno. I found it on my XP machine. If I dig around, I might find a CD
    from Western D that has something that'll solve this. I do have
    Partition Magic but it's not on the W2k machine. Maybe it's time to put
    it there.

    W. eWatson, Nov 24, 2009
  8. W. eWatson

    W. eWatson Guest

    I finally called WD and asked for support, $15. The drive is kaput. I'm
    buying a replacement. Too bad I waited a year to actually install it.

    W. eWatson, Nov 24, 2009
  9. W. eWatson

    Dave Patrick Guest

    Disk Management will know immediately what size the disk is. Yes, the first
    step is to write a disk signature (aka initialize the disk) Then create
    partition and format. I might have guessed it was possibly a limitation of
    the controller (or mobo) firmware. Did you run the WD disk tools to tell you
    the disk is bad?

    Dave Patrick, Nov 25, 2009