Windows Vista Hard drive mysteriously filling up

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSX

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I wonder if anyone can help me with this one. My hard drive is saying I have used up 98 gig which is just not true! I have run a little program called disk space finder which showed 41 gig used- about right. It beats me, I haven't had the computer long and can't really put my finger on when it started to go haywire. I installed a programme the other day ,986mb in size,my hard disk usage increased by 12 gig!!
I'm using vista home premium. Look forward to any suggestions you may have.
many thanks, GSX.

Reaction score
GSX said:
Hi guys,
I wonder if anyone can help me with this one. My hard drive is saying I have used up 98 gig which is just not true! I have run a little program called disk space finder which showed 41 gig used- about right. It beats me, I haven't had the computer long and can't really put my finger on when it started to go haywire. I installed a programme the other day ,986mb in size,my hard disk usage increased by 12 gig!!
I'm using vista home premium. Look forward to any suggestions you may have.
many thanks, GSX.

What is the actual size of the HDD..? A small bit of the HDD might also be used for Vista recovery..You won't see that though...Just have a general look around and see if any files or folders have duplicated...You might have some form of Virus...Some of them duplicate files and keep doing so untill the hdd is full...Try running something like Super Anti Spyware and Spybot Search and destroy and see what they pick up..

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Whats system restore set to use? That can eat HDD space if its set to a high percentage. :)

GSX

Reaction score
Thanks guys it's fixed!! I'm really chuffed,it was bothering me. My hard drive usage has gone from 98 gig to 43! still plenty of room on a 500 gig drive but I just couldn't place where it was all going, I'm much happier now.
Tweak guides is an excellent little site too.
Thanks again for your advice and pointing me in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question