Windows Vista C-Drive Filling Up

Reaction score
I have a Gateway PC with an Athlon triple core processor, 3 gigabytes of RAM, 2 300-gigabye hard drives, and Windows Vista Home Premium operating system. I've run into a problem with my C drive filling up. When I check drive properties in Windows Explorer I find that there are 5 gigabytes of free space on my 287 gigabyte hard drive. However, all of the folders and files only total about 100 gigabytes. I've taken folders off the C drive to free up space but the new free space eventually fills up. I've run TrendMicro antivirus and Norton 360 antivirus, both of which found no viruses. I've run WebRoots SpySweeper and found two spyware files that were quarantined; this didn't fix the problem. I've run ChDsk and found no problems. My PC isn't backing up to the C drive so this shouldn't be a problem. Has anyone else encounted this problem? Is there a way to see what is filling my hard drive. I know this sounds like a virus but I can't find anything.

Reaction score
Try using Superantispyware and Spybot search & Destroy and see what happens....And if you can, replace Norton 360 with Kaspersky...Its so much better..I made the swap recently and its like having a new computer

Reaction score
Solution to C-Drive Filling up

I found a solution to the problem I had posted about my C-Drive filling up with files I couldn't identify. The problem started with error messages I was getting about run32dll.exe. The problem occurred when Internet Explorer tried to generate thumbnails for videos. I would get repeated error messages whenever I was in a directory containing video files. I eliminated that problem by telling Internet Explorer to display only icons and not thumbnails. It turned out that every time the error message occured Vista was saving an error report and probably generating a restore point. I went into Vista's control panel and clicked on the icon for error messages. I deleted all the error messages and freed up 50 gigabytes on my C-drive. I then told Vista to delete all but the most recent restore point and freed up another 100 gigabytes.

Ask a Question