Hal.dll missing or corrupt

G

I've seen a number of posts referencing this message.

I am installing XP Pro (Upgrade cd) on a new Western Digital hard drive. I've got the WD Data Lifeguard v.11 software that came with the hard drive and nothing else. I ran the installation, copied all the files, rebooted, and got the Hal.dll error message.

I have tried using the XP Installation Repair utility to expand the HAL.DL_ from the installation cd and I get a message that HAL.DLL can't be created at C:\windows\system32. I tried copying a HAL.DLL from a W2K machine and was able to copy it in and overwrite the existing file, but I still get the "Corrupt or missing" message when I try to reboot.

I have tried rebuilding the boot.ini and everything else I've seen recommended in these newsgroups, and I'm stymied. My last option at this point is to try a newer hal.dll from my own XP computer, and/or installing from a different (full install) cd. I'm confused about what could be causing this. The computer I am trying to install is a couple of years old, but it's plenty of system resources, nothing but mouse, monitor, and keyboard are connected to it

Based on all the messages here that talk about this message, I'm surprised Microsoft.com hasn't written a paper discussing it. Might their Support Group be able to asist with this? Could this be corrected in XP SP1?

I'll appreciate any assistance anyone can offer.

Q

Quentin David Jones

Hmmm..

sounds bad,
are you sure all the hardware is OK?

Maybe try MemTest86 (or the new WinMEM tests from MS),
and the WD Diagnostics?

Q.

Q

Quentin David Jones

tried this?

HAL.DLL Missing or Corrupt
Added 2/9/03
If you get an error regarding a missing or corrupt hal.dll file, it might
simply be the BOOT.INI file on the root of the C: drive that is
misconfigured
Insert and boot from your WindowsXP CD.
At the first R=Repair option, press the R key
Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the
installation of Windows you want to repair.
Typically this will be #1
Type bootcfg /list to show the current entries in the BOOT.INI file
Type bootcfg /rebuild to repair it
Take out the CD ROM and type exit
(Bob Cerelli)

Q.

G

My bad...

I did find a Microsoft article on the error. #320252 (this website is so difficult to navigate!!)

I'll try it and let you guys know if it works...

Ask a Question