hacktool.rootkit virus

Please help. My computer has a "hacktool.rootkit" virus, as alerted by my
virus protection, Norton AntiVirus. It's hiding itself as "msdirectx.sys" in
my c:\documents and settings\"username" folder. Norton can't remove it at
all which is anoying. I've tried the WindowsXP Malicious Software Removal
Tool, and I've also tried all the MS DOS command stuff mentioned at
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=897079

I don't know what else to do! It's causing all sorts of funny things to my
computer, like random shutdowns, blacking-out of jpg thumbnails, desktop
layout to change.

Any help please? Thanks.

Joined
May 18, 2005
Messages
124
Reaction score
0
=?Utf-8?B?U2FtdWVs?= said:
Please help. My computer has a "hacktool.rootkit" virus, as alerted by my
virus protection, Norton AntiVirus. It's hiding itself as "msdirectx.sys" in
my c:\documents and settings\"username" folder. Norton can't remove it at
all which is anoying. I've tried the WindowsXP Malicious Software Removal
Tool, and I've also tried all the MS DOS command stuff mentioned at
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=897079

I don't know what else to do! It's causing all sorts of funny things to my
computer, like random shutdowns, blacking-out of jpg thumbnails, desktop
layout to change.

Any help please? Thanks.

Do you know how to get to your "username" folder?

MAP

Samuel said:
Please help. My computer has a "hacktool.rootkit" virus, as alerted
by my virus protection, Norton AntiVirus. It's hiding itself as
"msdirectx.sys" in my c:\documents and settings\"username" folder.
Norton can't remove it at all which is anoying. I've tried the
WindowsXP Malicious Software Removal Tool, and I've also tried all
the MS DOS command stuff mentioned at
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=897079

I don't know what else to do! It's causing all sorts of funny things
to my computer, like random shutdowns, blacking-out of jpg
thumbnails, desktop layout to change.

Any help please? Thanks.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/hacktool.rootkit.html

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_102335.htm

http://www.diamondcs.com.au/processguard/index.php?page=download

Yes I am able to get into the folder and I can even see the file there. If I
try to delete it, it just comes back straight away whenever the computer is
restarted.

Joined
May 18, 2005
Messages
124
Reaction score
0

"PCDaddy" wrote:

> =?Utf-8?B?U2FtdWVs?= Wrote:
> > Please help. My computer has a "hacktool.rootkit" virus, as alerted by
> > my
> > virus protection, Norton AntiVirus. It's hiding itself as
> > "msdirectx.sys" in
> > my c:\documents and settings\"username" folder. Norton can't remove it
> > at
> > all which is anoying. I've tried the WindowsXP Malicious Software
> > Removal
> > Tool, and I've also tried all the MS DOS command stuff mentioned at
> > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=897079
> >
> > I don't know what else to do! It's causing all sorts of funny things to
> > my
> > computer, like random shutdowns, blacking-out of jpg thumbnails,
> > desktop
> > layout to change.
> >
> > Any help please? Thanks.

> Do you know how to get to your "username" folder?
>

> --
> PCDaddyPosted from https://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

If there are no solutions from anti v companies that work. Try restarting your pc, tap F8. This should bring you to some options that allow you to boot into safe mode. This only loads the most basic functions for xp. Then go to the folder and delete the file. Then do a reboot and should be gone. Only do this if no other anti virus tools can get rid of it.