Greasing the heatsink

Reaction score
Can someone tell me if I pick the silver"tin foil" off the bottom of the Intel 4 heatsink then put the grease on.

Some1 suggested that i do this and then clean the heatsink with meths.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The silver foil will cover a 'thermal pad'.

This is a pad that will dissolve with heat and become your thermal 'grease' in use, should you wish to use it.

If you do use it, just take off the foil and clip the heatsink in place on the CPU.

But these pads aren't particularly too good. Although, as Pentiums generally run cool, imo, it would be OK to use it.

However, if you want better, use Arctic Silver 3 or 5 or similar.

To do that, you'll have to remove the pad that's in place on the heatsink.

To do this, use a piece of wood (ice lolly stick, perhaps) or something else that's non-abrasive, and scrape/push it off.

Clear the remaining pad debris with meths and a clean, preferably lint free, cloth and meths or isopropyl alcohol.

Then follow the thermal paste instructions to apply. Detailed application instructions for Arctic Silver are at their website.

I think it's worth the bother, you'll get improved cooling, but if you can't be arsed, go with the thermal pad :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Just use what you've got ... no worry of getting it wrong and REALLY messing things up.

:D

Ask a Question