Grease or not to grease....CPU

Reaction score
I have just bought an Intel 4 CPU box set with fan, heatsink and cpu. Unlike the AMD proc it does not have a sticker to act as the grease to transfer the heat. It does have a silver square, is that the Intel equivalent or do I need to grease over the top of this silver thing?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Yes, you do. A thin coating of thermal transfer compound over all the exposed silver surface. Arctic 3 or 5 is good compound.

If you don't use it, things are gonna get considerably warm :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
WHOA ... Hang on ...

Nope ... err,
It does have a silver square, is that the Intel equivalent
are we on about the HSF or the CPU?

If there is a 'silver square' on the HSF then no, you do not need to apply any more ... that is the same as an AMD HSF 'grease'.

AMD like you to use a pad, so most AMD HSF (to comply with AMD) will come with one already there; you just peal off the protective plastic thingie.

Adding too much 'grease' will have a detrimental affect ... the consolation with a P4 is ... it will work without a HSF, though I would not suggest you try it.

My suggestion is fit-it as is ... its a 'retail' item and I'm sure they'll have supplied all you need ... Intel have been at it a long time. ;)

Reaction score
its on the HSF

hi the silver thing is on the heatsink and is placed over the CPU.

so do i need grease?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Yes, you need grease. Apply it only to the CPU. With Arctic Silver 'grease' a small amount is also rubbed into the heatsink face, using your finger inside a clean polythene bag, so as not to contaminate it with body oil.

This is then wiped clean with a lint free clotch, thus filling any minor ridges and imperfections with 'grease'. The idea being to make the surfaces between CPU & heatsink air-free, giving a better thermal transfer.

But, if you're not using Arctic Silver, apply a THIN coat to the CPU only.

Ask a Question