graphics problem (need help!)

Reaction score
hey everyone, if you could help me out here it would be great. Ya see, heres the problem: for some reason, i was playing cs: source, and then all the graphics went crazy. it didnt disrupt the game, but random pieces of everyone were stretched and darker and brighter, and random parts of text had lines on them and brighter, it was really bad. by the way, i have a ati radeon 9800 pro, so it should handle these types of games. even when it was closed, some of the logos on the desktop were lined and brighter, and when i play videos they had short green lines evenly over the whole thing. these problems would remain on the computer for maybe a month or two. So i stopped playing high graphic games, and after a couple months, the problems were gone. but after i started playing successfully for a week or so, the problems came back and all the same things happened. if anyone has any advice it would really help, thanks.

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Nackard Card, or Bad Drivers, or overheating card.

... or all three. ;)

muckshifter

Reaction score
rchammer said:
ive had the card for at least 2 years, maybe more. how do you fix a nackered card?
... replace it with an un-knackard card. ;)

I would check for updated drivers first ... for both the graphics card & the games. :thumb:

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
... replace it with an un-knackard card. ;)

I would check for updated drivers first ... for both the graphics card & the games. :thumb:

yea ive tried the drivers, but if i have to buy a new graphics card, what kind would you recommend? maybe not too expensive :blush:, and i dont really play other games that exceed the cs: source graphics.

muckshifter

Reaction score
rchammer said:
yea ive tried the drivers, but if i have to buy a new graphics card, what kind would you recommend? maybe not too expensive :blush:, and i dont really play other games that exceed the cs: source graphics.
Hmmm, me not a gamer, I'll leave that suggestion for the 'players' around here. :thumb:

:)

muckshifter

Reaction score
michael 118 said:
okay what is your current card pci-e or Agp?
it's AGP ... but your probably better off asking what the MB is. ;)

:thumb:

Reaction score
The source engine is about the most optimized engine you will find - anything above a geforce 4 can run on medium really. It's not until HDR lighting and stuff comes into play that you will have problems

for £120 ish a 6600gt will be enough for any game out right now at good fps, but if oyu cant stretch to that an x700 would do the job

Reaction score
yea my card is agp and 128 mb. so would that would be the ati radeon x700 your talking about?

Last edited:
Reaction score
i dont think there is an agp card that has 512mb. better off sticking with a 256mb card from ebuyer, if you want to have Hdr on source :)

Reaction score
Buffer size doesn't make THAT much difference

I mean, i have a radeon 9600 256mb, but it is still worse than a 9600xt 128mb

Although if you can do go 256mb ;)

If you have £115 for the 6600gt, i would also give the radeon x800gto a chance, as it is about the same price but more powerful

Reaction score
michael 118 said:
i dont think there is an agp card that has 512mb. better off sticking with a 256mb card from ebuyer, if you want to have Hdr on source :)

M8 I think you need to look at that link again ;)

Reaction score
:blush:well i'll be damned. never seen a 512mb agp card before, not even with GDDR2. i want that card.

Reaction score
Buy it then. Altho the memory is not really what people should be worried about. Its the GPU and the actual memory speeds really. 256 is enuff memory on a card

Ask a Question