Motherboard/Graphics card help

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was looking everywhere for some help and this is the first PC help site that came up in Google so by my reckoning it has to be the best.

The problem i have is i want to upgrade my graphics card but i know it all depends on what motherboard ect i have so i didn't know what to upgrade to.

My current graphics card is a Geforce MX 440 with AGP8x, now i know it is old but it lets me get away with playing games upto 2003 Like C&C generals on a medium setting. I want to upgrade to the maximum my system can support without having to upgrade everything or even a little beneath it for cost. The only games i play really are RTS and RPG's on the pc.

Here is my setup:

Motherboard: intel: i865p/pe/g/i848p
Southbridge: intel: 82801EB (ICH5)
CPU: Intel pentium 4 3.40ghz

If any more information is needed let me know.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I think AGP cards maxed out at an Nvidia 6800GT.

Before you consider which card to upgrade to you should first find out what AGP cards are available. Then choose the best.

To be quite honest spending money on a system that old is probably not worth it.

kevakazi said:
I was looking everywhere for some help and this is the first PC help site that came up in Google so by my reckoning it has to be the best.

You think so? :D

Welcome to the forum btw :)

Reaction score
Thankyou for the replies.

Hm if thats the case what motherboard & graphics card combination would you recommend?

It could be a few years out of date as they tend to go cheaper, yes I'm a bit of a cheap skate. I don't mind not playing HD, new, shiny games on it as i have an xbox 360 for that i merely want one for playing, like i mentioned before, a few good rpg and rts games.

Once again thankyou for the replies.

Last edited:

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Theres an Ati Radeon 4670 that comes in the AGP flavour but the 3850 would be cheaper and is around the same performance and you could pick it up cheaper than the 4670. The 4670 is probably the best AGP card going though.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Theres an Ati Radeon 4670 that comes in the AGP flavour but the 3850 would be cheaper and is around the same performance and you could pick it up cheaper than the 4670. The 4670 is probably the best AGP card going though.

The only 4670 I've been able to find is pci-e flavour, do you have a link?

As far as I can determine these were the highest AGP graphic card performers from ATI and Nvidia.

First the Nvidia, if we ignore any cards that had the capability for sli:

6800 Ultra Extreme AGP x 8

Core: 450Mhz
Pipes: 16
Memory: 550Mhz 256 Bit GDDR3

And the ATI:

X850 XTPE AGP x 8

Memory: 540Mhz
Pipes: 16
Memory: 590Mhz 256 Bit GDDR3

Which to my mind makes the ATI the clear winner.

But by today's standards they are both archaic.

I still have an ATI X850 (standard flavour) in my Socket A machine.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
90 Quid!!! Jesus AGP prices are stupidly high...

Ask a Question