GRAPHICS CARD ADVICE

jw

Hello,

I have just bought a new computer system:

http://eu.shuttle.com/en/Desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-72/170_read-11119/

I would appreciate some advice on a decent graphics card.

I do a lot of imaging / photography / graphics / design work and also
play the odd game.

I need a single slot PCI-E card with 2x DVI outputs to run 2x 20" LCD
monitors (1600x1200).

Because my system is a Shuttle, the power supply is limited to 350w. I
was quite keen on the eVGA 7800GT until I realised this requires a
minimum of 450w.

So could anyone recommend another card? I have looked at the BFG 6 & 7
series, and these look quite promising.

Many thanks.

Biff

Shuttle PSUs are better made than standard ones, most of the time you can
add at least 100W on to the rated wattage on the gfx card recommendation. I
have an SN85G4 with a 6800GT which has higher power requirements than a
7800GT running fine.

Conor

Hello,

I have just bought a new computer system:

http://eu.shuttle.com/en/Desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-72/170_read-11119/

I would appreciate some advice on a decent graphics card.

I do a lot of imaging / photography / graphics / design work and also
play the odd game.

I need a single slot PCI-E card with 2x DVI outputs to run 2x 20" LCD
monitors (1600x1200).

Because my system is a Shuttle, the power supply is limited to 350w. I
was quite keen on the eVGA 7800GT until I realised this requires a
minimum of 450w.
You can't treat Shuttle PSUs the same as a normal one. A 250W Shuttle
PSU will outperform a normal 400W one.

HockeyTownUSA

Hello,

I have just bought a new computer system:

http://eu.shuttle.com/en/Desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-72/170_read-11119/

I would appreciate some advice on a decent graphics card.

I do a lot of imaging / photography / graphics / design work and also
play the odd game.

I need a single slot PCI-E card with 2x DVI outputs to run 2x 20" LCD
monitors (1600x1200).

Because my system is a Shuttle, the power supply is limited to 350w. I
was quite keen on the eVGA 7800GT until I realised this requires a
minimum of 450w.

So could anyone recommend another card? I have looked at the BFG 6 & 7
series, and these look quite promising.

Many thanks.

No problems. I have an SN21G5 and prior to that an SN95G5 with a 250W PSU
running a 7900 GT in the SN21G5 and have been running an X800 XT Platinum
AGP in the SN95G5 for a year and a half no problems either. Shuttle PSU's
have much better quality, but most importantly a lot more amps on the 12v
rail which is the most important thing.

NoNoBadDog!

Conor said:
You can't treat Shuttle PSUs the same as a normal one. A 250W Shuttle
PSU will outperform a normal 400W one.

Perhaps you can enlighten the rest of the world about how you can run 450+
watts of hardware on a 250 watt PSU, regardless of who makes it?

Are you claiming that the Watt Ratings numbers are now useless?

250 Watts is 250 Watts.

Bobby

Ian

Perhaps you can enlighten the rest of the world about how you can run
450+
watts of hardware on a 250 watt PSU, regardless of who makes it?

Are you claiming that the Watt Ratings numbers are now useless?

250 Watts is 250 Watts.

Bobby

Hiya Bobby,

Not so sure about that. I mean you're right in a way, but - for example -
that 450w PSU that might be bundled inside a case you buy complete for $40
is not anything like a good 350 or 400w unit you buy from a speciallist ad
pay a premiun for. It ain't just the extra fan and so on, it's quality
throughout. I know it makes sense that a rating is a rating is a rating,
but in reality (and I've done it) you WILL fry a crappy PSU sooner than a
good one. I am inclined to believe that Shuttle uses a very good PSU in
its cases (for that money they better!) and you can often attach things to
supposedly lower rated but top drawer top quality PSUs than you ought to
be able to on paper, and you can take a cheap and cheerful 500w and burn
it out. Honest!

Many stability problems are fixed with better PSUs, which don't
necessarily need a higher rating than the problem unit, what they need is
quality - more stable electronics, reduced voltage fluctuations, better
cooling and - as someone pointed out - a greater amps capacity. Better for
the CPU, better for the RAM, and better for the graphics card.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0616-4, 21/04/2006
Tested on: 24/04/2006 00:34:55

Conor

NoNoBadDog! said:
Perhaps you can enlighten the rest of the world about how you can run 450+
watts of hardware on a 250 watt PSU, regardless of who makes it?
It all depends on how much current each rail can provide.

Are you claiming that the Watt Ratings numbers are now useless?
As a good reliable indicator of true performance, yes.
250 Watts is 250 Watts.
And? All that tells you is how much current it draws from the mains.

Look at a handful of similar rated different make PSUs. Take note of
how the current available on the +3.3V, +5V and +12V rails is not the
same.

I'll even help you out:

500W: Enermax Xilence

+12V 20 15
+12V(2) 20 n/a
+3.3V 26 32
+5V 26 31

NoNoBadDog!

Conor said:
It all depends on how much current each rail can provide.

As a good reliable indicator of true performance, yes.
And? All that tells you is how much current it draws from the mains.

Look at a handful of similar rated different make PSUs. Take note of
how the current available on the +3.3V, +5V and +12V rails is not the
same.

I'll even help you out:

500W: Enermax Xilence

+12V 20 15
+12V(2) 20 n/a
+3.3V 26 32
+5V 26 31

However you slice it or dice it, it is still wrong to claim that a 250 watt
PSU can power 400 Watts of hardware. Amperage is important, and a rock
solid 12 volt rail is essential, but you still cannot run nearly twice the
wattage, no matter how "good" the PSU is.

You have a long, long way to go to defend your claim. Math is on my side.
Electrical engineering is on my side. If you can definitively demonstrate a
single brand, make or model that will power nearly twice it's rated load,
and do so reliably, and do so without extreme temperature
fluctuations...well you get the point. To claim that *ANY* 250 watt PSU can
power 400 watts of hardware is just plain wrong. If so, why would it be
rated at only 250 watts?

You need more than manufacturer specs to back up your claim.

Bobby

Don Sly

Conor said:
It all depends on how much current each rail can provide.

As a good reliable indicator of true performance, yes.
And? All that tells you is how much current it draws from the mains.

Look at a handful of similar rated different make PSUs. Take note of
how the current available on the +3.3V, +5V and +12V rails is not the
same.

I'll even help you out:

500W: Enermax Xilence

+12V 20 15
+12V(2) 20 n/a
+3.3V 26 32
+5V 26 31

I opened the case to look at my PSU. Do I need to open the PSU to find this
information and what are good minimum values ? Is the "+12v 20 15" 20 15
measured in some units and what do I need in those values for example. Time
to go from the 300a celeron to northwoods p4s I think.

jw

So do you think I could get away with running the eVGA 7800GT on the
Shuttle's 350w power supply even though a minimum of 450w is
recommended?

If this is the case then I will go with the eVGA 7800GT.

Conor

However you slice it or dice it, it is still wrong to claim that a 250 watt
PSU can power 400 Watts of hardware. Amperage is important, and a rock
solid 12 volt rail is essential, but you still cannot run nearly twice the
wattage, no matter how "good" the PSU is.

You have a long, long way to go to defend your claim.

No I don't. Those who have a clue know I'm right. Stupid halfwits like
you won't and can't get the reason why.
Math is on my side.
Electrical engineering is on my side.

Yeah but your understanding is WAY off.
If you can definitively demonstrate a
single brand, make or model that will power nearly twice it's rated load,
and do so reliably, and do so without extreme temperature
fluctuations...well you get the point.

It's **** all to do with powering twice its rated load but to do with
how it distributes that load on the 12V, 5V and 3.3V rail and how
efficient the PSU is. You ARE aware that PSUs can vary by up to 10% in
how efficient they are?

To claim that *ANY* 250 watt PSU can
power 400 watts of hardware is just plain wrong. If so, why would it be
rated at only 250 watts?
Because it is all it needs.
You need more than manufacturer specs to back up your claim.
No problem. You know what the usual power requirements are for a Athlon
XP3200 runnning a nVidia 6600GT don't you?

Pop off to some SFF Shuttle forums and see what the Shuttle PSU rating
is that they're running them with. You'll not find one over 250W.

Conor

Conor

So do you think I could get away with running the eVGA 7800GT on the
Shuttle's 350w power supply even though a minimum of 450w is
recommended?
Yes. Don't listen to the clueless halfwit.

This is what one guy is running in a
http://global.shuttle.com/Product/Barebone/SN26P.asp

AMD X2 4800+ | 2 x eVGA 7900GT CO SC Edition | 2 x 74GB WD Raptor |
600GB LaCie External Big Disk | Sony External DL DVD/RW | Adaptec
External Dual TV Tuner

http://www.sudhian.com/index.php?/forums/viewforum/4/

HockeyTownUSA

NoNoBadDog! said:
However you slice it or dice it, it is still wrong to claim that a 250
watt PSU can power 400 Watts of hardware. Amperage is important, and a
rock solid 12 volt rail is essential, but you still cannot run nearly
twice the wattage, no matter how "good" the PSU is.

You have a long, long way to go to defend your claim. Math is on my side.
Electrical engineering is on my side. If you can definitively demonstrate
a single brand, make or model that will power nearly twice it's rated
load, and do so reliably, and do so without extreme temperature
fluctuations...well you get the point. To claim that *ANY* 250 watt PSU
can power 400 watts of hardware is just plain wrong. If so, why would it
be rated at only 250 watts?

You need more than manufacturer specs to back up your claim.

Bobby

Bobby. I've owned four Shuttle XPC's with no more than 200 or 250W PSU's
over the last several years. Currently I am running in one rig:

Opteron 175 (o/c'd to 2.42GHz)
GeForce 7900 GT
WD Raptor 10,000 RPM SATA HD
2x1GB Corsair XMS DDR500
Creative X-Fi
DVD-RW

And was running a similar setup in an AGP rig with an ATI Radeon X800 XT
Platinum with no issues for well over a year and a half.

The PC40 PSU is rated at 250W. It has 16A along each 12v rail. Check out the
specs here:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=150998

Total peak draw from the wall to the PC is 190W, but hovers around 160-170
during intense gameplay. Take into account the efficiency of the PSU (about
72%) and its running at about 135-140W draw from the system.

Higher wattage rating from video card vendors only ensures it is carrying
enough current to run the video card. Now video card manufacturers are
specifying the total required amps on the 12v line, and not so much the
Wattage. Keep in mind too that the Shuttle SFF PC's have limited room for
expansion, so you are limited in the number of peripherals that you have
installed, limiting the drain on the system. Your biggest power consumers
are the GPU and CPU. Since you're allowed one PCI-E (or AGP), one PCI, two
3.5" drives, one 5.25 inch drive, and two SDRAM slots, it's highly unlikely
you'll tap the full power requirements of the PSU.

I read somewhere, can't find it at the moment, that did a good article about
PC power consumption. Even a standard high-end ATX PC drew no more than
about 220W from the wall. You just need a high quality PSU that is rated for

All that being said, if the system had 10 hard drives, four DVD drives, six
PCI peripherals, eight gigs of ram, and an SLI setup, that might require
450W of total power, probably more like 300-350W, no you could not run off a
250W PSU. However, you could probably run that off a higher quality 450W PSU
than a cheapo 650W PSU. Keep in mind too that many PSU's are rated at a
certain temperature. Many rate the power at 20c (or room temp), and the
power greatly reduces with increase in temperature. We all know that PSU's
don't run at 20C, more like 45C.

I'll stop here. It's more complicated than you think.

Benjamin Gawert

Conor said:
No I don't. Those who have a clue know I'm right. Stupid halfwits like
you won't and can't get the reason why.

Well, if you like it or not, this "stupid halfwit" is right, though. You
can't run 450W hardware on a 250W PSU, period.

The reason why it still is possible to run fast gfx cards like a 7900GT
in a Shuttle with 250W PSU is simply that it's enough. The 450W listed
as "requirement" by most gfx card manufacturers are just plain stupid
since even the fastest gfx card doesn't require a 450W PSU and the
wattage is not only dependend on the gfx card but also on other
components. Another point is that the mass of cheap "high power" PSUs
with 450W or more rating are very ineffective and often not capable to
power much more than a very good afficient 250W PSU, the high wattage
rating in this case is plain marketing bullshit. The fact that such
ineffective PSUs are that widespread is probably the reason most gfx
card manufacturers list 450W PSUs as "required", simply to protect them
from service calls because of too weak PSUs.

It's true that the PSUs in these Shuttle PCs are quite good, but they
are still 250W only which definitely is a limitation. Usually it's
enough to power a fast video card despite the 450W requirement listed by
the card manufacturer, but you should be aware that even if this works
you're already at the PSUs upper limit, not only regarding power
requirements but often enough also regarding heat...

Benjamin

DaveL

Analogous to this is those crappy car stereo amplifiers that are rated at
500 watts per channel when in truth they have tiny IC amps in them could
barely put out 10 real watts.

Reminds me of the time I hooked my high powered home stereo amplifier (rated
at 80 watts/channel) to my friends cheapy Pioneer speakers which were rated
at 250 watts. The speakers had built in LEDs that indicated like VU meters.
At 4 watts from my amp I had the red speaker lights on continuously.

Moral of the story is wattage ratings are usually meaningless.

DaveL

Benjamin Gawert

* DaveL:
Analogous to this is those crappy car stereo amplifiers that are rated
at 500 watts per channel when in truth they have tiny IC amps in them
could barely put out 10 real watts.

Right. Or take the bulk of PC speaker sets which have a 100+W rating and
are fed with a clunky 9V 500mA PSU
Reminds me of the time I hooked my high powered home stereo amplifier
(rated at 80 watts/channel) to my friends cheapy Pioneer speakers which
were rated at 250 watts. The speakers had built in LEDs that indicated
like VU meters. At 4 watts from my amp I had the red speaker lights on
continuously.

Moral of the story is wattage ratings are usually meaningless.

Exactly.

Benjamin

SP Goodman

DaveL said:
Analogous to this is those crappy car stereo amplifiers that are rated at
500 watts per channel when in truth they have tiny IC amps in them could
barely put out 10 real watts.

Reminds me of the time I hooked my high powered home stereo amplifier
(rated at 80 watts/channel) to my friends cheapy Pioneer speakers which
were rated at 250 watts. The speakers had built in LEDs that indicated
like VU meters. At 4 watts from my amp I had the red speaker lights on
continuously.

Moral of the story is wattage ratings are usually meaningless.

Especially if "RMS" isn't included. None of the PC speakers I've seen show
it, despite claiming all sorts of watts-per-channel.

DRS

SP Goodman said:
"DaveL" <nospam> wrote in message

[...]
Moral of the story is wattage ratings are usually meaningless.

Especially if "RMS" isn't included.

For what given THD? Too many manufacturers quote decent wattage RMS at 10%
THD. Which is rubbish.