granting a domain user local "power user" rights...

Brad Pears

We have a windows 2003 terminal server. Our accounting application demands
that the logged on user (TS session) has local "power user" rights in order
to run the app.

In XP, you could add the domain user using the Control Panel applet "Users
and Passwords" where you could specify the domain the user belonged to -
hence giving the domain user logging onto that machine the appropriate local
rights...

This app is nowhere to be found on my Windows 2003 server and I am logged on
as the administrator.

How can I grant a domain user local rights on a windows 2003 server?

Thanks,

Brad

Franklin Huang

1) Open Computer Management.
2) Expand Local users and Groups and highlight Groups.
3) On the Right Pane, double-click on Power Users.
4) In the Power Users Properties page, click Add to add the users accordingly.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Franklin Huang

Please reply to the newsgroup it allows others to benefit from these threads as well.

This Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
The views and opinions expressed here are purely personal and do not necessarily express the views and/or opinions of Microsoft.

| From: "Brad Pears" <[email protected]>
| Subject: granting a domain user local "power user" rights...
| Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 13:20:49 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services
|
| We have a windows 2003 terminal server. Our accounting application demands
| that the logged on user (TS session) has local "power user" rights in order
| to run the app.
|
| In XP, you could add the domain user using the Control Panel applet "Users
| and Passwords" where you could specify the domain the user belonged to -
| hence giving the domain user logging onto that machine the appropriate local
| rights...
|
| This app is nowhere to be found on my Windows 2003 server and I am logged on
| as the administrator.
|
| How can I grant a domain user local rights on a windows 2003 server?
|
| Thanks,
|
| Brad

Vera Noest [MVP]

I wouldn't do this, you are in for big trouble with such a setup,
and it is never needed.

I would download FileMon and RegMon from
http://www.sysinternals.com/. Run them as administrator, start
a TS session as a normal user and try to run the application.

FileMon and RegMon will show you all "access denied" errors
that occur, so that you can give your users the necessary
permissions on a file-to file or Registry subkey basis.

Brad Pears

Perfect. Thanks Vera... You are right - I do not like the idea of giving
users this type of access...

Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]