Google at work on desktop Linux

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Google is preparing its own distribution of Linux for the desktop, in a possible bid to take on Microsoft in its core business - desktop software.

A version of the increasingly popular Ubuntu desktop Linux distribution, based on Debian and the Gnome desktop, it is known internally as 'Goobuntu'.

Full story

:D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Interesting indeed :D

Thats going to give MS a good kick where it hurts. ;)

I admit it, I like Microsoft.... why, because everything is standard and just works. No messing with drivers anymore, everything is so simply. However, I equally dislike the situation for the very same reason that they control almost all the desktop market! I think google might have more of a grassroots power which can convert users to Linux in a way that Debian/RedHat/Mandrake cannot.

Fingers cross that this goes further than the Lindows push ever did :thumb: Once more people are onboard the Linux boat, I can see things moving much faster.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
There is no denying that Linux community is growing at a very rapid speed. With giants like Google and IBM it could mean a big change in the next few years to come. IBM is also aggressively promoting Linux on their website, they have a very informative free newsletter entitled "LinuxLine" which anyone can subscribe to.

Reaction score
very interesting story..hopefully it will be something they release..can only help the linux community

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Google's already there in my Suse 10 install, within Firefox, there be a little search window on the top right :)

Reaction score
To Bad,would really loved to have seen it happen..Actually don't understand why they wouldn't release goobuntu..what better way to kick your arch rival in the nuts,then to release an alternative to it's flagship product.

he sure does praise Ubuntu..hmmm might give it a shot again..might fit in with my slackware 10.2 and pclos family :)

Reaction score
Thanks Flopps..came here after reading one of your posts at Bitbendertech where you mentioned this forum.thought i'd give it a look,nice community here :)..

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Hi labatts
fing31.gif
- nice to see you here! :)

Ask a Question