Linux Mint 10 "Julia" officially released!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
julia.png

I was waiting anxiously for this release as I had many of my friends needing to install this version who are new to Linux. I now recommend this distro for all the newbies who I want to convert to Linux without them going through issues.

So what is new in this version? Here are the excerpts from one of the reviews.....

Linux Mint is arguably the front-runner when it comes to Linux distributions that target Windows users looking to migrate to linux. Now Mint has released a new version named “Julia”. Mint claims to be a user-friendly OS that just works for the average user; its forte being elegance, ease of installation and usability.

• Best Linux for new user’s who want a Mac/Windows-esque OS without the price tag.
  • 30K plus packages available, not including adding other various repositories via “ubuntu sources list generator” (google)
  • Shows great forethought regarding system upgrades and the Backup Tool so the user’s important files, etc are not in jeopardy.
  • The Mint menu, which breathes new life into the Gnome Desktop and easily surpasses Gnome and KDE’s default main menu easily.
  • User input and ideas are encouraged and make the distribution a true community effort.
  • Non-free plugins, codecs, and drivers are either pre-installed or available via the Software Manager
  • Can be remastered using the Mintconstructor

Download Linux Mint

Full Review

Now I am going to give it a spin and come back with my findings!

user.gif

Attachments

• Screenshot-Welcome-to-Linux-Mint-550x352.png
    Screenshot-Welcome-to-Linux-Mint-550x352.png
    102 KB · Views: 479

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm still happily using Mint 8 'Helena' with no issues to speak of, had a brief dabble with Mint 9 and am attracted to Mint 10.

I need to get another hard disk though, I took the spare one I had out of it's case caddy to back up all of my mp3 files when I decided to convert my CD collection to FLAC rather than mp3.

It was only a 160Gb disc anyway, I really want something a bit bigger for Mint 10.

If I like it I'll probably drop Mint 8.

Thanks for the heads up Mr Quad :)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Flops,

A lot has changed since Mint 8, I would say replace your old mint with newer fresher tasting one ;)

You can install it side by side as well if you are unsure.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Quadophile said:
Flops,

You can install it side by side as well if you are unsure.

Oh no I can't it's only another 160Gb disk and it's almost full :D

I really need a few bigger disks, a couple of 500Gb and one 1Tb should sort me.

Luckily hard disk prices are very reasonable atm

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I have had a go at it and the first thing I noticed when online was that Firefox is no longer sluggish as I experienced it in Ubuntu 10.10. It was the speed I had always been used to. The layout on the new Mint 10 is excellent and everything worked out of the box. The updates (118 initially) went smoothly. Make sure you select the closest server to you so that you get the fast downloads as their server at this moment is very, very busy. In fact this should be always done. Here is how you get to it in Mint 10.

Menu>Admin>Update Manager>Edit>Software sources>Linux Mint Software>Download From>Other>Select Best Server>Choose Server

Once you do that you are good to go. The previous version also had this tweak and I used it then and it made a huge difference in update speeds. I also remember that I went through the routine once in a month and it used to pick a different server at times. I just thought I'd mention it here for those who are speed freaks :D

If you are still debating whether to install it or not here is a great First Impressions which will give you a complete picture of what to expect from Mint 10.

Reaction score
I would like to

Hi Quadophile I have played with Ubuntu and couldn't get on with it one reason was hardware drivers, I could not get any for my sound card, I got so geed off with it I did not even bother to try to get printer drivers. Would Mint provide the all the drivers for my hardware as shown in my signature plus the drivers for a Logetech QuickCam Pro 9000 and an Epson Stylus SX 200 printer. The reason many people use Microsoft is because all the drivers are easily available and it is an easy OS to understand but my experience with Open Source OS is that for an old gimmer like me is that it is not an easy experience. Therefore we shell out to Microsoft because their Os is simple to use and their updates also come with updates for some drivers.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Quad: I don't use Firefox anyway, within Mint I use Opera which works fine for me.

All my updates are very quick anyway but thanks for the tip.

bootneck02:

With any older hardware it's a lottery for all Linux Distros and also Win 7 whether your peripherals will work.

My Linux Mint V8 recognised two HP Inkjet printers, 7 and 5 years old respectively, and a three year old Epson scanner. Nvidia drivers for a 9800GT were loaded painlessly.

Nvidia's Linux support is better than ATI's at this moment.

I take your point about using Microsoft, although I'm using a Linux Distro I still can't rely on it to do everything that Windows does with available software, sad to say. But with each passing month it's getting better.

Mind you, so far it hasn't been drivers with Linux that's been the obstacle. In fact I've found Linux so far, for me, has given better driver support than more recent Microsoft OS's.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
bootneck2:

Here is the link to check all hardware that you have and see if it is compatible. There are many such lists out there but this particular one is updated regularly.

http://www.linux-drivers.org/

Flops,

Yes I know you use Opera and it sure is very fast one, I tried it a few times and every time I was lost, I guess it is a matter of personal preference and getting used to the way everything is laid out in a browser.

Reaction score
Yes floppybootstomp I get fed up filling up Microsofts pockets especialy when there are free ones out there and would love to change over to Linux if I can get the support

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
About that Epson... here are free drivers by Avasys (download the .deb packages and install by double clicking – read the manual .pdf):
http://www.avasys.jp/lx-bin2/linux_e/spc/DL2.do

Your camera is plug-and-play (that's first hand info, btw.)

Your Auzentech card, however... up to Auzentech, really, and they don't seem interested in making Linux drivers. Or – perish the thought! – open-sourcing the code.

stripq.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks Urmas looks like I will not be changing as I have 214GB of music and I tend to listen whilst I am on the PC in the evening whilst her indoors is watching TV which is not worth watching. Too many chanels and all with worthless programs on. Oh except the History channel.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
My Auzentech Prelude sound card uses the Creative X-Fi chipset and also Creative drivers and most, if not all, Linux distros will recognise Creative cards cos they is as common as muck :)

My Prelude is recognised ok, I once used PC Linux OS with it, coupla years ago.

It's a shame Auzentech aren't playing along as they do make rather excellent sound cards.

Reaction score
It is unfortunate but the Auzen X-Meridian was produced before Auzen had the contract with Creative, BUGGER!!!!!:(

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
It's not like you'd get no sound at all... Google tells me that the snd_oxygen.ko module (which should be "there" without your installing anything) works. Works... but how well? Dunno. Here is a somewhat... high flying blog post about this:

After many interludes with MusicPlayer Daemon…

Ask a Question