Good Mother board companies, and good but economical motherboards

Brett Kline

larry said:
I don't know about warranty claims, but I've gotten the best mobo tech
support from Intel, DFI, and Supermicro, especially the latter.

How good is Tyan?

The Tyan Trinity and Tomcat Socket A and 370 series served me well in
50+ builds without a single RMA.

Brett Kline

larry said:
I don't know about warranty claims, but I've gotten the best mobo tech
support from Intel, DFI, and Supermicro, especially the latter.

How good is Tyan?

The Tyan Trinity and Tomcat Socket A and 370 series served me well in
50+ builds without a single RMA.

Same Guy

Fri, 02 Nov 2007 22:37:50 -0700: written by larry moe 'n curly
I don't know about warranty claims, but I've gotten the best mobo tech
support from Intel, DFI, and Supermicro, especially the latter.

How good is Tyan?

TYAN is my MB of choice. I have 3 boards running in different computers
right now with two of them about 8 years old and still running strong.

I tried an ASUS P4S800D-E Deluxe once and found 3 issues with it after I
started to tap into its full capabilities.

- 1 of the RAM slots would see but not access a stick of Micron RAM in
placed in there and I did extensive tests swapping sticks and changing
settings to see if it was something other than defective.

- One of the onboard USB 2.0 ports failed.

- The LAN port would randomly lose its connection and this would occur
more frequently as the board aged (1 year) . I tried using different
cables and found that I had no issues after installing a dedicated NIC
card.

After this experience I went back to TYAN (Tomcat K8E-SLI S2866) and it
just feels more solid to me. I'll be using the ASUS for a HTPC where I
won't need to max it out.

Regarding TYAN tech support, I found one issue with the Tomcat K8E-SLI
S2866 and tech support was reachable and very responsive to email. That
issue turned out to be a cheapo mouse I had and not the board itself.

Personally, I plan on sticking w/TYAN for all my future boards.

Don Phillipson

Len Mattix said:
What a bunch of crap!! Are you some kind of troll just looking for ways to
waste bandwidth. Your information is certainly inaccurate and especially
about ASUS motherboards.

I will never buy another piece of ASUS equipment.
1. Sound-on-board circuitry of a P4P800S
died within 18 months of purchase (2004.)
2. Inquiring how to buy the wireless card (pictured in
the P4P800S product guide) . . .
-- 4 Sept 2006 emailed via http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techserv.aspx
-- email reply Sept. 7 referred me to 510 739 3777 Accessory Dept.
-- I called Sept. 27; respondent undertook to reply phone or email (not
done)
-- I called Sept. 29: referred to 502 995 0883 option 5
-- which hung up after 5 min. waiting
Case Code :WTM20060905436466318

It is simplest to avoid vendors like this.

windows.lovers

[...]

Whats TYAN's 1-800 tech support number so that I can see how they deal
with customers.

windows.lovers

Hey Same Guy,
what is Tylan's 800 or other number for tech support so I can test
your claim.

Same Guy
Fri, 02 Nov 2007 22:37:50 -0700: written by larry moe 'n curly
<[email protected]>: >I don't know about warranty claims, but
I've gotten the best mobo tech >support from Intel, DFI, and
Supermicro, especially the latter. >How good is Tyan? TYAN is my MB of
[...]
More options Nov 3, 9:00 am
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.hardware, alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,
alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus, alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,
alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar
From: Same Guy <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 09:00:28 -0800
Subject: Re: Good Mother board companies, and good but economical
motherboards
Reply | Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show
original | Report this message | Find messages by this author

Note: The author of this message requested that it not be archived.
This message will be removed from Groups in 6 days (Nov 10, 9:00 am).

[...]

caver1

Same said:
Sun, 04 Nov 2007 00:42:11 -0000: written by (e-mail address removed):

http://www.tyan.com/contact.aspx

510.440.8808

They do not have a 1-800 number.

What are ones thoughts on Abit boards?
Been using them myself for quite along time with
no problems.
Haven't built a system in awhile and am wondering
if they are keeping up?
caver1

kony

Whats TYAN's 1-800 tech support number so that I can see how they deal
with customers.

Maybe you should try to find it yourself, since there's not
much point in knowing how their customer support is, if you
later needed it but couldn't figure out how to get in touch
with them.... just an ironic thought....

caver1

kony said:
Maybe you should try to find it yourself, since there's not
much point in knowing how their customer support is, if you
later needed it but couldn't figure out how to get in touch
with them.... just an ironic thought....

I was wondering what problem he was going to give
them?
caver1

larry moe 'n curly

<[email protected]>:

[...]

I forgot that Tomcats were Tyans. Every Tomcat mobo owner I've known
has liked theirs a lot.

Same Guy

Maybe you should try to find it yourself, since there's not
much point in knowing how their customer support is, if you
later needed it but couldn't figure out how to get in touch
with them.... just an ironic thought....

I was tempted to post such a statement, but was unable to do so in a
semi-polite manner. Thanks for addressing this point.