Glowing Flower

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I was toying with the digital camera this afternoon and playing around with borrowed crystal flowers (from living room). I thought I would post the image for some feedback from the members.

Attachments

• glowing flower.jpg
    glowing flower.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 4,896

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I used the Nikon Coolpix 995

Well to be honest I did not go for normal light photography. What I had in mind was to grossly underexpose the picture to get the flower to give the glowing effect. I used the spot meter facility and the exposure was 3-4 stops under to render the image the way it is.

I could have taken the shot in the normal way but it would not have the appeal since the flower is made of crystal and it is not very appealing to look at or to take picture of. I took about 6-7 shots by the window and used a black cloth for background. The shutter speed was 1/30 and aperture f4.1. Using the larger aperture instead of smaller also helped in sort of diffused light, a smaller aperture would not have done justice as it would have rendered the image to be very sharp.

There are many ways to shoot, this is just my own experimentation with what was available.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I saw a photo very similar to this one selling for £50 whilst shopping today! Perhaps you should start selling online ;) :D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Ian,

Never thought of that! Inteesting idea.

Interesting idea but I am not sure if I want to turn my 30 year old hobby into something commercial. I might loose the touch in the process, and if that happens I will have a very boring like to live. I cannot possibly start another hobby at my ripe old age, can I? :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Never too late to get a hobby :D I have managed to get my 72 year old grandad in to computing 8) He's just getting started with the internet, but is loving it!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Have you taken any more photos like this one recently? I've showed a couple of people it and they thought it was a very interesting and well composed shot!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Nice photograph Quads :)

It's never too late to start a new hobby, though I understand where you're coming from saying that selling the pix would maybe take the fun out of it.

You'd be thinking 'Will this sell?' instead of 'How interesting can I make this?'

As for me, I'm forever starting something new, then dropping it, then returning to it, forever flitting between things.

Maybe that's cos of my Aries birth sign, I dunno :confused:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Flops,

You took the words right out of my mouth!:bow:

As for the Sun Signs the Sagittarians are "Jack of all......" so what do you say about that?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ian Cunningham
Have you taken any more photos like this one recently? I've showed a couple of people it and they thought it was a very interesting and well composed shot!

No Ian I have not lately, but there is always an opportunity of doing it, I just need to grab it. If I do I will surely post it here.

Ask a Question