genuine windows XP

quy nguyen

I bought a used computer, It runs windows XP sp2 but when I am download and install windows update from microsoft. It says that the software is not genuine. I also have the genuine window XP but the problem is that version of my Winodws XP is older version than the version of my computer running. I am not able to install the genuine Windows XP without delete and format software. Would you please help me how to do it. Thank you very much.

Mark F.

I bought a used computer, It runs windows XP sp2 but when I am download and
install windows update from microsoft. It says that the software is not
genuine. I also have the genuine window XP but the problem is that version
of my Winodws XP is older version than the version of my computer running. I
am not able to install the genuine Windows XP without delete and format
software. Would you please help me how to do it. Thank you very much.

Did you try the installing the Genunine Product ActiveX plugin? It checks
you system before you can download files. You have to be using Internet
Exporer 5 or higher to do it.

Other options:
1) If you bought a used PC I would recommend wiping the hard drive and
performing a clean install of Windows XP from a valid OEM CD. You will
remove any problems that the previous owner endured. Then install Service
Pack 2 found here.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...be-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&DisplayLang=en
Note the file size is 266 mb!

2) Reinstall Windows XP using an valid Windows XP CDROM disk.

3) Reactivate the product normally. If major hardware changes have occurred,
or the product has been activated ten times the activation will fail. If it
fails contact Microsoft via telephone to activate the product. The phone
number is on the activation dialog.

More information:
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/Facts.aspx?displaylang=en
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/mpa.aspx

Mark

Detlev Dreyer

quy nguyen said:
I bought a used computer, It runs windows XP sp2 but when I am download
and install windows update from microsoft.

When purchasing any used computer, the system should be reinstalled from
scratch. Nobody is interested in all the viruses, worms, trojans, dialers,
spyware and the misconfiguration of someone else!
It says that the software is not genuine.
Aha.

I also have the genuine window XP but the problem is that version of
my Winodws XP is older version than the version of my computer running.

That's no problem if you download (eg. using a different system) and
install SP2 prior to going online in order to install all available
security updates.
I am not able to install the genuine Windows XP without delete and
format software.

That's okay. Again, there is no benefit when keeping the present
installation.

quy nguyen

Thanks,
I do not want to format the new hard disk because I have some softwares
installed(I do not have CD) in computer.
I also try to install SP2 from my CD. There is no problem but When I try to
down load windows critical update. The Microsoft site says the my software
is not genuine so that it not allow me to down load windows critical update.
I am trying to using internet in campus, The campus internet required
windows critcal update software to setup the internet. Please give me any
advice. thanks

Gary S. Terhune

Go buy a new copy of XP. Only way it's going to work, assuming your other
copy is currently installed on another machine. If your old copy of XP is no
longer on a machine, you can create a CD that slipstreams SP2 and that will
allow you to do a Repair install. I *think* that will solve your problem. If
not, then you're SOL and you'll have to come up with copies of your needed
applications and get a new copy of XP. Frankly, it sounds like that used
system is nothing but a pile of pirated software.

quy nguyen

As I told, I have a new genuine coppy but it does not work because the
windows in computer is XP sp2. I have cd windows XP sp1 and sp2 separately.
The problem is the computer do not allow the CD installed because the
version on PC is newer.

Tom Willett

Gary gave you the answer: slipstreaming.

| As I told, I have a new genuine coppy but it does not work because the
| windows in computer is XP sp2. I have cd windows XP sp1 and sp2
separately.
| The problem is the computer do not allow the CD installed because the
| version on PC is newer.
|
| "Gary S. Terhune" <none> wrote in message
| | > Go buy a new copy of XP. Only way it's going to work, assuming your
other
| > copy is currently installed on another machine. If your old copy of XP
is
| > no longer on a machine, you can create a CD that slipstreams SP2 and
that
| > will allow you to do a Repair install. I *think* that will solve your
| > problem. If not, then you're SOL and you'll have to come up with copies
of
| > your needed applications and get a new copy of XP. Frankly, it sounds
like
| > that used system is nothing but a pile of pirated software.
| >
| > --
| > Gary S. Terhune
| > MS-MVP Shell/User
| > www.grystmill.com

| >> I do not want to format the new hard disk because I have some softwares
| >> installed(I do not have CD) in computer.
| >> I also try to install SP2 from my CD. There is no problem but When I
try
| >> to down load windows critical update. The Microsoft site says the my
| >> software is not genuine so that it not allow me to down load windows
| >> critical update.
| >> I am trying to using internet in campus, The campus internet required
| >> windows critcal update software to setup the internet. Please give me
| >> any advice. thanks

Ron Martell

quy nguyen said:
I bought a used computer, It runs windows XP sp2 but when I am download and install windows update from microsoft. It says that the software is not genuine. I also have the genuine window XP but the problem is that version of my Winodws XP is older version than the version of my computer running. I am not able to install the genuine Windows XP without delete and format software. Would you please help me how to do it. Thank you very much.

You could create a new Windows XP installation CD that has SP2
slipstreamed into it and then use that CD to install.

XP Slipstream:
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html
http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2008)
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."

Gary S. Terhune

That's why you need to "slipstream" SP2 into the older version. See the
results here:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=slipstream+sp2&btnG=Google+Search

Again, this will only work for you if the old version isn't already
installed on another machine. Or rather, it might work, it might not, but
either way it's not legitimate.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

quy nguyen said:
I do not want to format the new hard disk because I have some softwares
installed(I do not have CD) in computer.

Forget about the present WinXP installation. Buy the software being
presently installed if there is no CD and reinstall that software after
reinstalling WinXP using a new genuine disk and product key.

Patrick Keenan

quy nguyen said:
Thank you very much. I will try slipstream.

Note, however, that if the XP install types don't match, the repair install
won't work because the keys won't match either. At that point, you'll may
well have a completely unusable system, depending on what the repair
install actually changed.

HTH
-pk

Plato

quy said:
I bought a used computer, It runs windows XP sp2 but when I am

Anytime you buy a used PC. The best bet is to wipe the hard drive and
then install the OS you want to use totally fresh.

Bruce Chambers

quy said:
I bought a used computer, It runs windows XP sp2 but when I am download and install windows update from microsoft. It says that the software is not genuine.

With second-hand computers, especially if acquired from strangers
but perhaps even if acquired from a family member or friend, your wisest
course of action would definitely be to format the hard drives and start
fresh. You don't want to get in trouble because the original owner may
have filled the hard drive with kiddie porn, or have problems because
the original owner downloaded/installed viruses or other malware.

I also have the genuine window XP but the problem is that version of my Winodws XP is older version than the version of my computer running. I am not able to install the genuine Windows XP without delete and format software. Would you please help me how to do it. Thank you very much.

This means that your installed OS is at a higher service pack level
than is the WinXP Pro CD you're using. You'll either need to uninstall
SP2 (Control Panel, Add/Remove programs) before attempting the upgrade,
or try slipstreaming SP2 into older WinXP installation.

For slip-streaming the service pack and subsequent updates to WinXP:

How to integrate software updates into your Windows installation source
files
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;828930

SlipStreaming WinXP
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

Computerflyer

XP Slipstream:http://www.winsupersite.com/showcas...n.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2008)
On-Line Help Computer Servicehttp://onlinehelp.bc.ca

has never been in bed with a mosquito."

I am assuming you have a currently unused XP license key that will
pass genuine advantage validation. Just to make sure you would not be
worse off than you are now, download a keyviewer from the internet.
It will report the key that is presently used on your bootleg
installation.

Now, there is a way to change the key on the installed system. Have
you tried that? Search "entering new windows xp key" or similar.
The process is roughly:

Start -> Run -> enter "%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe /
a" (Product Activation Wizard should start.)

Select "telephone Microsoft to activate Windows." Do not call
them :)

Select "Change Product Key" and enter your legal key from your own
genuine windows.

Click Update and close the window. It should complain, or not,
depending on your key compatibility -- keys are different for
corporate, OEM, Home, and Pro versions

Reboot

If you previously validated this key on another computer, you might
then actually have to call microsoft AFTER you do the above, and if
your disks are not OEM versions they will give you details to get it
right. If your disks are OEM, they will tell you to go buy a retail
box.

CF

quy nguyen

Slipstreaming work well. However, I still not able to install the Windows
update.
After my computer downs load windows update, It shows the list of all
windows update which could not be installed.
Thanks