Gears Of War 4 on PC

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Works well. It is so refreshing to be able to use a keyboard & mouse with a console fps. 80Gb download though.

There is a tale how I came to own this game, I have posted elsewhere here I wouldn't pay £50 for this game and when MS offered it for half price at £25 it was only for the disc version which wouldn't install on PC.

Then on Facebook of all places I saw MS offer the downloadable version for £25.04. How they arrived at the odd 4p I don't know but I opened my Win 10 Xbox app and bought the game for £25.04. It installed ok on the console but I couldn't install it on the PC, just couldn't find the option anywhere.

So I then spent the best part of an hour having an online chat with a Microsoft/Xbox adviser and eventually we discovered the problem. The instructions to install GOW4 say you have to open the Store and look for the install option but I couldn't find it. But I was looking in the Xbox Apps' Store page and what was needed was The Store App that comes pre-installed with Win 10.

Unfortunately for me. just two hours before I purchased GOW4, I had uninstalled lots of pre-installed apps from Win 10 using Win 10s' Powershell, which is kinda like a modern day DOS facility or a Linux console command window. And one of the apps I uninstalled was The Store.

So I tried to reinstall The Store using Powershell but my system wasn't having any of it. So I searched and searched and eventually found a site that gave me a command to reinstall ALL of the apps I had uninstalled using one line of text. So I used that and all those poxy apps - Candy Crush Saga anybody? - are back but most importantly Win 10s' The Store is back.

After that installing GOW4 was a cinch, albeit taking the best part of 4 hours to install 80Gb.

It now only remains for me to uninstall all the unwanted Win 10 apps again.

I believe GOW4 is available for just one more day at £25, if you have Win 10 with the anniversary patch and you're fond of fps's I would recommend it.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
What a saga! Glad you got it sorted in the end. How are you finding the game?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Well I got a free copy of GOW4 with me new graphics card.
Great I thought and tried to install it. Darn , you have to join some MS thing. Did that and then found out you have to have W10 with some Anniversary update.
So I gave up.

:rolleyes:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well I got a free copy of GOW4 with me new graphics card.
Great I thought and tried to install it. Darn , you have to join some MS thing. Did that and then found out you have to have W10 with some Anniversary update.
So I gave up.

:rolleyes:

Yes, I agree, that really is a bit of a **** it's Microsoft trying to suck you in to their world where they can spy on you 24/7. There are advantages though (or there were advantages, Win 10 no longer free) you can get Forza Motorsport 6 Apex for free if you have the same setup and it's really a very good game.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Yes, I agree, that really is a bit of a **** it's Microsoft trying to suck you in to their world where they can spy on you 24/7. There are advantages though (or there were advantages, Win 10 no longer free) you can get Forza Motorsport 6 Apex for free if you have the same setup and it's really a very good game.

Ta fer the info.
Me not going 10 till 7 support ends or linux gaming goes mainstream :lol:
I almost took up the free 10 offer but me head was full of other stuff at the time. :cool:

Ask a Question