frontpage 2003 and .NET

Targa

Just purchased FP2003.

I guess I was under the impression that FP2003 could read ASP.NET pages.
Is this not the case?

Im getting errors when opening .aspx pages:
Error - Parser Error: Unknown server tag 'uc1:leftcolumnnav'.
Error - Parser Error: Unknown server tag 'uc1:rightcolumnnav'.
Error - Parser Error: Unknown server tag 'uc1:footer'.

Actually - seems everything has to do with the <uc1: tag.
Doesnt seem to have problems with the other code.
Do I need to configure FP to accept this?

TIA

Kevin Spencer

It's a User Control, which is a custom Templated Control that a developer
built. It shouldn't cause any problem. FrontPage just can't render it in the
Design view.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Vijay R Gangolli [MSFT]

Hi TIA,

The reason for this is that FP controls must match case sensitivity when
being used in the code on its pages.
Ex:
<%@ Register TagPrefix="uc1" TagName="CAttributeControl"
Src="Controls/CAttributeControl.ascx" %>
<TD class='Content'><SF_Attributes><uc1:cattributecontrol

must be,
<%@ Register TagPrefix="uc1" TagName="cattributecontrol"
Src="Controls/CAttributeControl.ascx" %>
<TD class='Content'><SF_Attributes><uc1:cattributecontrol

Just check if you could take a backup and do a replace all for case
sensitive attributes?

Regards,
Vijay

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers
no rights

--------------------
| From: "Targa" <[email protected]>
| Subject: frontpage 2003 and .NET
| Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 15:01:51 -0600

| Just purchased FP2003.
|
| I guess I was under the impression that FP2003 could read ASP.NET pages.
| Is this not the case?
|
| Im getting errors when opening .aspx pages:
| Error - Parser Error: Unknown server tag 'uc1:leftcolumnnav'.
| Error - Parser Error: Unknown server tag 'uc1:rightcolumnnav'.
| Error - Parser Error: Unknown server tag 'uc1:footer'.
|
| Actually - seems everything has to do with the <uc1: tag.
| Doesnt seem to have problems with the other code.
| Do I need to configure FP to accept this?
|
| TIA

Jim Cheshire

I doubt it's a templated control AND a user control. :) A user control is
an ascx file while a templated control is a server control that implements
the INamingContainer interface. A user control cannot be a templated
control. It must be a server control.

FrontPage does not support the rendering of user controls within the
designer, and for that matter, neither does VS.NET.

--
Jim Cheshire
Jimco

Vijay R Gangolli [MSFT]

Hi Targa,

I think I wrote the reverse :-{

The 'uc1:leftcolumnnav' must be changed to 'uc1:LeftColumnNav'

Regards,
Vijay

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers
no rights

--------------------
| From: "Targa" <[email protected]>
| Subject: frontpage 2003 and .NET
| Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 15:01:51 -0600

| Just purchased FP2003.
|
| I guess I was under the impression that FP2003 could read ASP.NET pages.
| Is this not the case?
|
| Im getting errors when opening .aspx pages:
| Error - Parser Error: Unknown server tag 'uc1:leftcolumnnav'.
| Error - Parser Error: Unknown server tag 'uc1:rightcolumnnav'.
| Error - Parser Error: Unknown server tag 'uc1:footer'.
|
| Actually - seems everything has to do with the <uc1: tag.
| Doesnt seem to have problems with the other code.
| Do I need to configure FP to accept this?
|
| TIA

Kevin Spencer

A User Control is certainly templated. It has a template, just like a Page.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Jim Cheshire

Kevin,

A Templated Control is a specific technical term and does not apply
explicitly to a user control. You can create a templated user control, but
only by using a server control that implements the INamingContainer
interface for the naming container. Unless you explicitly use that method,
a user control is not a templated control.

Most users who create user controls do so for the purposes of reuse or to
control the page output caching of the control. I have encountered very few
developers who are using templated user controls.

See the following for a technical description of what a templated control
is:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...tml/cpconcustomizingcontrolswithtemplates.asp

See the following for a description of how to create a templated user
control:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...de/html/cpconcreatingtemplatedusercontrol.asp

--
Jim Cheshire
Jimco
Author of Special Edition
Using Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003
5 Stars on Amazon and B&N
================================
The opinions expressed by me in the
newsgroups are my own opinions and
are in no way associated with my
employer or any other party. Jimco is
not associated in any way with any other
entity.

Kevin Spencer

From the .Net SDK:

Public Class UserControl
Inherits TemplateControl
Implements IAttributeAccessor, IUserControlDesignerAccessor

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Jim Cheshire

Kevin,

Read the articles I sent you. The TemplateControl class is not related to
Templated Controls. Trust me on this.

Remember, everyone has something to learn! :)

--
Jim Cheshire
Jimco
Author of Special Edition
Using Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003
5 Stars on Amazon and B&N
================================
The opinions expressed by me in the
newsgroups are my own opinions and
are in no way associated with my
employer or any other party. Jimco is
not associated in any way with any other
entity.

Kevin Spencer

From the .Net SDK:

MustInherit Public Class TemplateControl
Inherits Control
Implements INamingContainer

In your original argument you stated that "A user control is an ascx file
while a templated control is a server control that implements the
INamingContainer interface. A user control cannot be a templated control."

As you can see from this post, UserControl inherits TemplateControl, and
TemplateControl implements INamingContainer. Therefore, UserControl
implements INamingContainer as it IS a TemplateControl, and all
TemplateControls implement INamingContainer. Trust me on this.

Remember, everyone has something to learn! :)

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer
..Net Developer
Microsoft MVP
Big things are made up
of lots of little things.

Jim Cheshire

A user control is not by default a templated control. I really don't know
any other way to say it. You can believe that or not. No big deal.

--
Jim Cheshire
Jimco
Author of Special Edition
Using Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003
5 Stars on Amazon and B&N
================================
The opinions expressed by me in the
newsgroups are my own opinions and
are in no way associated with my
employer or any other party. Jimco is
not associated in any way with any other
entity.

Kevin Spencer

A System.Web.UI.UserControl ALWAYS IS (not "by default") a templated
control. By your own definition and by the Microsoft .Net object model, it
is a System.Web.UI.TemplateControl, which, by the .Net object model, is a
System.Web.UI.Control that implements INamingContainer. This is OOP 101.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Kevin Spencer

BTW, I had read the article previously (it is part of the .Net SDK), and
took another look at it. There is nothing in that article that implies that
a System.Web.UI.UserControl is NOT a Templated Control. In fact, the article
confirms that System.Web.UI.TemplateControl (which System.Web.UI.UserControl
inherits), which inherits System.Web.UI.Control and implements
INamingContainer, therefore IS a Templated Control.

There is a reason why the "IS" operator exists, and is named thus. It is
because an object which inherits another object IS the other object, just as
a Ford IS a car. Inheritance is one of the foundations of OOP.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Jim Cheshire

I'm not arguing with you Kevin. Look at the steps that are published on how
to create a templated user control. If a user control is already a
templated control, the article would simply say "Create a user control."
End of article. However, that's not the end. There is much more to it than
that. Once again, the TemplateControl class does not mean that it's a
templated control. Shoot, the Page class inherits TemplateControl. Is it
your assertion that a Page object is a templated control?

It's really silly to debate such things. I know what I know (and it's based
on very good first-hand information as you likely already know.)

--
Jim Cheshire
Jimco
Author of Special Edition
Using Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003
5 Stars on Amazon and B&N
================================
The opinions expressed by me in the
newsgroups are my own opinions and
are in no way associated with my
employer or any other party. Jimco is
not associated in any way with any other
entity.

Jim Cheshire

Here's another link for you, Kevin (and anyone else who's interested). See
the section entitled "An Introduction to Templated Controls."

http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quicks...rl=/quickstart/aspplus/doc/webdataaccess.aspx

You'll quickly see what a Templated Control is (and you'll see the excellent
example of a Templated Control, the Repeater class) and what makes it a
Templated Control. You'll also quickly realize that a User Control by
default does not classify as such.

--
Jim Cheshire
Jimco
Author of Special Edition
Using Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003
5 Stars on Amazon and B&N
================================
The opinions expressed by me in the
newsgroups are my own opinions and
are in no way associated with my
employer or any other party. Jimco is
not associated in any way with any other
entity.

Jim Cheshire

Hmmm... danged frames.

The link that will take you there is here:
http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/aspplus/doc/webdatalist.aspx

--
Jim Cheshire
Jimco
Author of Special Edition
Using Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003
5 Stars on Amazon and B&N
================================
The opinions expressed by me in the
newsgroups are my own opinions and
are in no way associated with my
employer or any other party. Jimco is
not associated in any way with any other
entity.

Kevin Spencer

templated control. Shoot, the Page class inherits TemplateControl. Is it
your assertion that a Page object is a templated control?

Yes, in fact, System.Web.UI.Page and System.Web.UI.UserControl both inherit
System.Web.UI.TemplateControl. Odd that you should question that.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Jim Cheshire

I don't question that. In fact, that's just what I just said! :) What I
am telling you is that they are not templated controls.

Did you read the article I just sent you? I suspect you did not.

--
Jim Cheshire
Jimco
Author of Special Edition
Using Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003
5 Stars on Amazon and B&N
================================
The opinions expressed by me in the
newsgroups are my own opinions and
are in no way associated with my
employer or any other party. Jimco is
not associated in any way with any other
entity.

Kevin Spencer

Interesting link. First, the article wasn't on that page, nor was there link
to one on that page. I did manage to find an article on the web site, but it
was apparaently way out of date, as it referenced a non-class (perhaps a
very old class name) called System.Web.UI.Template, which may now be
System.Web.UI.TemplateControl. In any case, it doesn't contradict any of
what I've said. I do notice that you use the phrase "user control" as if it
were some sort of generic term, while I use the definition
System.Web.UI.UserControl which is a specific and unambiguous class. If you
are referring to ANY class which a user creates that inherits
System.Web.UI.Control, then of course, it isn't necessarily a templated
Control. However, if that's the case, I would suggest using the unambiguous
term "User-defined Control". Microsoft has already defined the term
"UserControl". The generic term which Microsoft has defined for all Server
Controls (built-in or custom) is "Server Control."

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Kevin Spencer

Yes, I did read the article. I also understood it.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer