Freeware windows digital photo editors (did we miss any)?

Wlm Singleton

Cribbed from another thread, here are the freeware digital photo editors.
Did we miss any?

OFTEN RECOMMENDED
http://www.gimp.org/ (The Gimp, functional editor)
http://www.irfanview.com/ (Irfanview, fast viewer)
http://www.getpaint.net/ (Paint.Net, functional MS Paint replacement)

SOMETIMES RECOMMENDED
http://www.xnview.com/ (XnView, fast viewer on Mac & Linux too)
http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm (Faststone, image viewer)
http://picasa.google.com/ (Picasa, what is it's claim to fame?)
http://photoscape.en.softonic.com/ (Photoscape, functional editor)

NOT RECOMMENDED
http://www.snapfire.com/ (Snapfire, suspect Corel bait-n-switchware)

ray

Cribbed from another thread, here are the freeware digital photo editors.
Did we miss any?

cinepaint is a beefed up version of GIMP which allows editing of 16 bit
channel files.

Peter Chant

ray said:
cinepaint is a beefed up version of GIMP which allows editing of 16 bit
channel files.

Look at Krita, part of koffice, handles 16 bit and many others. Looks like
earlyish days, very interesting. Not sure if windows users will be in
luck.

John Corliss

Wlm said:
Cribbed from another thread, here are the freeware digital photo editors.
Did we miss any?

OFTEN RECOMMENDED
http://www.gimp.org/ (The Gimp, functional editor)
http://www.irfanview.com/ (Irfanview, fast viewer)
http://www.getpaint.net/ (Paint.Net, functional MS Paint replacement)

SOMETIMES RECOMMENDED
http://www.xnview.com/ (XnView, fast viewer on Mac & Linux too)
http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm (Faststone, image viewer)
http://picasa.google.com/ (Picasa, what is it's claim to fame?)
http://photoscape.en.softonic.com/ (Photoscape, functional editor)

NOT RECOMMENDED
http://www.snapfire.com/ (Snapfire, suspect Corel bait-n-switchware)

Photofiltre:

http://photofiltre.free.fr/

Robert Coe

:
: OFTEN RECOMMENDED
: http://www.gimp.org/ (The Gimp, functional editor)
: http://www.irfanview.com/ (Irfanview, fast viewer)
: http://www.getpaint.net/ (Paint.Net, functional MS Paint replacement)
:
: SOMETIMES RECOMMENDED
: http://www.xnview.com/ (XnView, fast viewer on Mac & Linux too)
: http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm (Faststone, image viewer)
: http://picasa.google.com/ (Picasa, what is it's claim to fame?)
: http://photoscape.en.softonic.com/ (Photoscape, functional editor)
:
: NOT RECOMMENDED
: http://www.snapfire.com/ (Snapfire, suspect Corel bait-n-switchware)

Does the software included with a camera purchase count as freeware? I'm
fairly impressed with Canon's Digital Photo Professional. It has some major
omissions, notably redeye correction and small-increment rotations. But its
exposure manipulation capability is very good, and its cropping tool is the
best I've seen.

Bob

hummingbird

Cribbed from another thread, here are the freeware digital photo editors.
Did we miss any?

OFTEN RECOMMENDED
http://www.gimp.org/ (The Gimp, functional editor)
http://www.irfanview.com/ (Irfanview, fast viewer)
http://www.getpaint.net/ (Paint.Net, functional MS Paint replacement)

SOMETIMES RECOMMENDED
http://www.xnview.com/ (XnView, fast viewer on Mac & Linux too)
http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm (Faststone, image viewer)
http://picasa.google.com/ (Picasa, what is it's claim to fame?)
http://photoscape.en.softonic.com/ (Photoscape, functional editor)

NOT RECOMMENDED
http://www.snapfire.com/ (Snapfire, suspect Corel bait-n-switchware)

(free) Digital Enhancer:
http://www.mediachance.com/dce/index.html

--
1.John Corliss says people should publish who they're filtering out:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.comp.freeware/msg/4be29402fbf31c0e

2.I do not killfile googlegroups posts.

Bob Adkins

Canon's Digital Photo Professional... and its cropping tool is the best I've seen.

Faststone Image Viewer has the best cropping tool I have seen so far.
Their redeye tool is surprisingly good too. It easily and quickly
fixes all but the worst cases of redeye.
-

Bob

Susan Bugher

Wlm said:
Cribbed from another thread, here are the freeware digital photo editors.
Did we miss any?

ANY? You know not what you ask. . . ;)

SOME of the free apps that have been mentioned in alt.comp.freeware are
listed in these subcategories on ACF's Graphics page:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_GRAPHICS.php#1.10Editor:3D
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_GRAPHICS.php#1.20Editor:Photo-Paint
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_GRAPHICS.php#1.20Editor:Photo-PaintForKids
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_GRAPHICS.php#1.20Editor:Photo-Paint+SpecialEffects
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_GRAPHICS.php#2.50Viewer
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_GRAPHICS.php#2.50Viewer:ImageOptimizer
OFTEN RECOMMENDED
http://www.gimp.org/ (The Gimp, functional editor)
http://www.irfanview.com/ (Irfanview, fast viewer)
http://www.getpaint.net/ (Paint.Net, functional MS Paint replacement)

SOMETIMES RECOMMENDED
http://www.xnview.com/ (XnView, fast viewer on Mac & Linux too)
http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm (Faststone, image viewer)
http://picasa.google.com/ (Picasa, what is it's claim to fame?)
http://photoscape.en.softonic.com/ (Photoscape, functional editor)

NOT RECOMMENDED
http://www.snapfire.com/ (Snapfire, suspect Corel bait-n-switchware)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

ray

Cribbed from another thread, here are the freeware digital photo editors.
Did we miss any?

OFTEN RECOMMENDED
http://www.gimp.org/ (The Gimp, functional editor)
http://www.irfanview.com/ (Irfanview, fast viewer)
http://www.getpaint.net/ (Paint.Net, functional MS Paint replacement)

SOMETIMES RECOMMENDED
http://www.xnview.com/ (XnView, fast viewer on Mac & Linux too)
http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm (Faststone, image viewer)
http://picasa.google.com/ (Picasa, what is it's claim to fame?)
http://photoscape.en.softonic.com/ (Photoscape, functional editor)

NOT RECOMMENDED
http://www.snapfire.com/ (Snapfire, suspect Corel bait-n-switchware)

BTW - GIMP, et. al. are technically not 'freeware' but rather OpenSource.

Robert Coe

:
:
: > Canon's Digital Photo Professional... and its cropping tool is the best
: > I've seen.
:
: Faststone Image Viewer has the best cropping tool I have seen so far.
: Their redeye tool is surprisingly good too. It easily and quickly
: fixes all but the worst cases of redeye.

What sets DPP apart from most of the cropping tools I've tried to use is that
it lets you create a frame at an arbitrary fixed aspect ratio and then both
easily re-size it and easily move it around.

Bob

Wlm Singleton

Does the software included with a camera purchase count as freeware?

Good question. I'd say no as that software isn't easily downloadable (I
would think) so let's restrict it to free software that can be downloaded.

I have a summary which isn't finished yet as shown below ... but I haven't
added Susan's information yet ...

So far, these are the windows freeware photo editing recommendations:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/cinepaint/ (CinePaint, GIMP+)
http://www.xnview.com/ (XnView, fast viewer on Mac & Linux too)
http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm (Faststone, great cropping)
http://photofiltre.free.fr/ (Photofiltre, claim to fame?)
http://www.artweaver.de/index.php?en_version (Artweaver, creates too)
http://www.freeserifsoftware.com (PhotoPlus6, claim to fame?)
http://www.vicman.net/ (Vicman, claim to fame?)
http://www.mediachance.com/dce/index.html (DigitalEnhancer, claim to fame?)

NOT RECOMMENDED:
http://www.snapfire.com/ (Snapfire, suspect Corel bait-n-switchware)

Wlm Singleton

BTW - GIMP, et. al. are technically not 'freeware' but rather OpenSource.

We know. We know. Let's keep "free" free of esoteric encumberences. Free
mearly means, in this thread, that it doesn't cost any money.

[...]

Does anyone know what the main claim to fame of the following are?
Picasa
PhotoFiltre
PhotoPlus
Vicman
DigitalMedia

Susan Bugher

Wlm said:
Hi Susan,
Some of these "freeware" photo editing programs listed come from Corel (eg
photopaint)

I don't know what app you're referring to - more info please.

AFAICT there are only 3 Corel apps listed on the ACF program information
pages. See the full list of apps sorted by company:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_ProgramIndex.php?sortby=Company

The programs are:

Corel InfoCentral
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_ORGANIZERS.php#1383
(Freeware) LFW (v 7.0)

Corel Presentations
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_GRAPHICS.php#1384
(Freeware) (Spyware)? LFW (v 9)

Snapfire
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_GRAPHICS.php#4357
(Liteware) (Registerware) (free) Pivacy waiver: the EULA requires
consent to monitoring; data collection; advertising solicitations from
third partiy marketing partners

so I'd be very suspicious of the bait-and-switchware inherent
in them. Are you SURE all of these are what we'd consider Windows freeware
and not adware or switchware?

I've shown the "ware descriptions" above. LFW = last Freeware version.
See the notes at the bottom of each page and ACF's Ware Glossary if
you're unsure about how to interpret other notations.
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/WareGlossary.php

The ware descriptions are accurate "to the best of my knowledge and
belief". They're based on info posted in ACF and/or info available on
the internet.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

Good question. I'd say no as that software isn't easily downloadable (I
would think) so let's restrict it to free software that can be downloaded.

If you have to BUY something to be *entitled* to a "free" program it's
neither free nor Freeware. (Software that's included in a camera
PURCHASE is not free - it's part of the package you BUY.)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware