Freeware Screen Savers .. Is there really such a thing?

Lord Possum

Admittedly, I have not inspected every hole in the wall yet,
but every so-called freeware screen-saver that I have found
... either is not free or requires you to jump through
hoops before getting some mediocre, amateurish result, not
to mention having several parts in different locations
which requires an explosion of registry additives.

To me .. a freeware screen-saver is a self-sufficient,
standalone single FILENAME.SCR which does its job without
advertising, pop-ups, reminders, etc.

Is there really such a download URL having these creatures?

Dick Kistler

Lord Possum said:
Admittedly, I have not inspected every hole in the wall yet,
but every so-called freeware screen-saver that I have found
.. either is not free or requires you to jump through
hoops before getting some mediocre, amateurish result, not
to mention having several parts in different locations
which requires an explosion of registry additives.

To me .. a freeware screen-saver is a self-sufficient,
standalone single FILENAME.SCR which does its job without
advertising, pop-ups, reminders, etc.

Is there really such a download URL having these creatures?

http://www.reallyslick.com/

Ceg

Lord Possum said:
Admittedly, I have not inspected every hole in the wall yet,
but every so-called freeware screen-saver that I have found
.. either is not free or requires you to jump through
hoops before getting some mediocre, amateurish result, not
to mention having several parts in different locations
which requires an explosion of registry additives.

To me .. a freeware screen-saver is a self-sufficient,
standalone single FILENAME.SCR which does its job without
advertising, pop-ups, reminders, etc.

Is there really such a download URL having these creatures?

I just put all my old shareware savers on the website as freebies. People
just have to email me and let me know which ones they want the unlocking
keys for...and disregard requests for registrations. They're all slideshow
type...no cartoons...and mostly nature-based. There's 288 savers there free
for the taking.

John Corliss

Lord said:
Admittedly, I have not inspected every hole in the wall yet,
but every so-called freeware screen-saver that I have found
.. either is not free or requires you to jump through
hoops before getting some mediocre, amateurish result, not
to mention having several parts in different locations
which requires an explosion of registry additives.

To me .. a freeware screen-saver is a self-sufficient,
standalone single FILENAME.SCR which does its job without
advertising, pop-ups, reminders, etc.

Is there really such a download URL having these creatures?

Not sure why there's only one listed in PW. Susan solicited screen saver
recommendations not too long ago.

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls and other such idiots. No adware, cdware,

Thip

Ceg said:
I just put all my old shareware savers on the website as freebies. People
just have to email me and let me know which ones they want the unlocking
keys for...and disregard requests for registrations. They're all
slideshow
type...no cartoons...and mostly nature-based. There's 288 savers there
free
for the taking.

And the Web site is?

Lord Possum

==================================

ALSO ..... ! ! ! Don't pass this one up. Those of you old enough to
remember Johnny Castaway, it is NOW available FREE! Completely
rewritten to work in all versions of Windows, including my XP. Much
Grass to Jaap Van Wingerden for the rewrite on this hilarious, prize-
winning never-outdone screen saver. Rated G, this thingy is actually
worth just sitting around to watch what happens. There used to be a
cult group devoted to this one.

Download at: http://home.zonnet.nl/jaapjp/Setup.exe

Or just backup to the base URL to read all about it. Thanx, Jaap!

Vegard Krog Petersen

I just put all my old shareware savers on the website as freebies. People
just have to email me and let me know which ones they want the unlocking
keys for...and disregard requests for registrations. They're all slideshow
type...no cartoons...and mostly nature-based. There's 288 savers there free
for the taking.

very kind of you!!! :)
Thanks.

regards from

--
Vegard Krog Petersen - Norway

http://vegard2.no -
Solitaire MahJongg guide, Sarah Michelle Gellar Solitaire,
Freeware Logo & symbol, Halma & Chinese Checkers,
Pachisi & Ludo, Freeware Solitaire, My fishy site (fishing
games), a.c.f.g information, Fredrikshald Havfiskeklubb
18+ sites: Firefoxy, Adult Solitaire, Fishy Pictures,
Sexy Chess, Sexy Librarians, Sexy Football

Helen

Lord Possum said:
Admittedly, I have not inspected every hole in the wall yet,
but every so-called freeware screen-saver that I have found
.. either is not free or requires you to jump through
hoops before getting some mediocre, amateurish result, not
to mention having several parts in different locations
which requires an explosion of registry additives.

To me .. a freeware screen-saver is a self-sufficient,
standalone single FILENAME.SCR which does its job without
advertising, pop-ups, reminders, etc.

Is there really such a download URL having these creatures?

Suggestion: Why not dl photos you like, set them up as a slide show
to run automatically? Voila! I don't like screen savers but I do enjoy
beautiful photos on the desk top and change it from time to time to
nature scenes, landscape, birds, horses, etc.

Just a thought.

Helen

Thip

Helen said:
Suggestion: Why not dl photos you like, set them up as a slide show
to run automatically? Voila! I don't like screen savers but I do enjoy
beautiful photos on the desk top and change it from time to time to
nature scenes, landscape, birds, horses, etc.

Just a thought.

Helen

I made a PowerPoint of a bunch of sayings I liked, saved them as .bmps, and
that's my slide show screen saver. I can later it any way I like or make a
whole new one--it's fun.

Renan

At date Mon, 02 Jan 2006 18:56:54 GMT, Lord Possum
([email protected]) wrote in article <MPG.1e23419591a8352989695
@netnews>, for newsgroup alt.comp.freeware:
Admittedly, I have not inspected every hole in the wall yet,
but every so-called freeware screen-saver that I have found
.. either is not free or requires you to jump through
hoops before getting some mediocre, amateurish result, not
to mention having several parts in different locations
which requires an explosion of registry additives.

I prefer to use "Blank screen" (this is the real screensaver, IMHO), but
I remeber that IrfanView could create .scr files for slideshows. So, why
don't you get pictures and make screensavers from them?

John Corliss

Susan said:

Susan, maybe you might want to consider creating a seperate category for
screensavers, maybe under "Desktop"? After all, screensavers are
executables and thus are programs. Since they're configured from the
desktop usually and serve to obscure the desktop, it seems to me that
they fit in that category. That people can't find screensavers easily
points out the need for such an arrangement.

On the subject of screensavers, here's a trick that I use on my computer:

1. Do a search for all programs on your drive that end in ".scr",
2. In the resulting window, do "Control-A" to select all the files.
3. Right click on them and select "Send to>"/Desktop (create shortcut).
4. Right click on your "Start" button and select "Explore", make the
window so that it's not full screen. Create a new folder in your start
menu where you like, and then select all the new shortcuts by left
clicking a frame around them on your desktop, then "Control-left
clicking" any non-screensaver shortcuts which are included in the
selection, OR any screensaver shortcuts you want to add and which are
not in the selection frame.
6. Drag all of the new shortcuts into that new "Screen Savers" folder in
your start menu folder (you can also right click and drop to the Start
button and go to that folder, then click on "Move here").
7. Use a program like "Rename
Master"(http://www.joejoesoft.com/vcms/108/) or else manually remove the
".scr" and "Shortcut to" from all the names. You can also rename the
screensaver shortcuts at this point if you like.
8. Right click on your desktop and turn the default screensaver to "None".

You will be able to easily configure any of the screen savers (those
that are configurable, that is) by right clicking on their shortcut in
the start menu and selecting "Configure".

The advantage to this is that you can still run screen savers from your
start menu (say, to impress people with your graphics card) without
having a default screen saver that automatically comes on when you're
doing something without key activity. Using a mouse to turn on a screen
saver from the start menu can be difficult for some people, so I suggest
this method:

1. Press the Windows key so that the start menu comes up.
2. Press the letter "s" until the "Screen Savers" folder is selected.
3. Press the right arrow key until the listing of screen saver shortcuts
opens.
4. Press the first letter of the screen saver that you want to run. If
there is more than one screen saver starting in that letter, keep
pressing that letter key until the one you want is selected.
5. Press enter and the saver will usually run until you press a key or
move your mouse (depends on the saver and-or how you have it configured
sometimes.)

This sounds more difficult to do than it is in reality. I do this setup
on all computers on which I work (with permission from the owner of
course) and everybody so far vastly prefers this arrangement to having a
screen saver come on unexpectedly. They also like the total control this
gives them over their screensavers.

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls and other such idiots. No adware, cdware,
commercial software, crippleware, demoware, nagware, PROmotionware,
shareware, spyware, time-limited software, trialware, viruses or warez
please.

Gabriele Neukam

On that special day, Lord Possum, ([email protected]) said...
Is there really such a download URL having these creatures?

Didn't someone here create a version of X-Earth, some time ago? It was
offered on woundedmoon.org, but the site seems to have vanished.

Gabriele Neukam

(e-mail address removed)

Gabriele Neukam

On that special day, Gabriele Neukam, (Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-
online.de) said...
Didn't someone here create a version of X-Earth, some time ago? It was
offered on woundedmoon.org, but the site seems to have vanished.

I have to correct myself. After an extended Google read, I found that
the latest versions are still there, see Message-ID:
<[email protected]>

The files are available on
www.woundedmoon.org/xearth/

Gabriele Neukam

(e-mail address removed)

Susan Bugher

John said:
Susan Bugher wrote:

Susan, maybe you might want to consider creating a seperate category for
screensavers, maybe under "Desktop"? After all, screensavers are
executables and thus are programs. Since they're configured from the
desktop usually and serve to obscure the desktop, it seems to me that
they fit in that category. That people can't find screensavers easily
points out the need for such an arrangement.

Dunno if it is hard for most people - it shouldn't be. . . Go to the
Category Index page, sort the page alphabetically on the subcategory
column and scroll down to Screensaver (the main subcategory for
screensavers) or use "Edit/find in this page" to search for
"screensaver" (finds all subcategories with screensaver in the name). . .

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_CategoryIndex.php

I agree that Desktop is the logical place for "ordinary" screensavers
but that separates them from apps that can create screensavers. Many of
those are multi-purpose graphics programs. If all apps were single
purpose it would be a whole lot easier to categorize/group them. . . ;)
On the subject of screensavers, here's a trick that I use on my computer:

Wow! MANY useful tricks. I group screensaver apps in the start menu too
but I've been doing some of the work that's involved the hard way. Thank
you. :)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

John Corliss

Susan said:
Dunno if it is hard for most people - it shouldn't be. . . Go to the
Category Index page, sort the page alphabetically on the subcategory
column and scroll down to Screensaver (the main subcategory for
screensavers) or use "Edit/find in this page" to search for
"screensaver" (finds all subcategories with screensaver in the name). . .

I just did this and there only seems to be a subcategory under
"Graphics" for "Screensaver" and that leads to only one screensaver
(MyAlbum). Oh well.
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_CategoryIndex.php

I agree that Desktop is the logical place for "ordinary" screensavers
but that separates them from apps that can create screensavers. Many of
those are multi-purpose graphics programs.

Well... you could always cross reference them or list them twice?
If all apps were single
purpose it would be a whole lot easier to categorize/group them. . . ;)

I know what you mean. I have this same problem in my freeware archives.
Here are the categories I use:

Audio
Backup (file backup that is)
Business related
CD related
Desktop
Disk utilities
DVD
Edudational
File utilities
Fonts
Games
Graphics
Hardware (drivers and manuals)
Icons
Image viewers
Linux stuff
Microsoft (vbruns, patches, etc.)
Online related
PDF
Program installation
Reference (as in dictionaries, etc.)
Screen saver
Security
System
Text editting
Tips and tricks
Video
Word processing

This is all in one big (1.7 gb) folder named "Zipped" on a separate
partition. Each of those categories has a sub-folder named "Not
installed" for programs that I don't use but might need at some point.
Wow! MANY useful tricks. I group screensaver apps in the start menu too
but I've been doing some of the work that's involved the hard way. Thank
you. :)

You're welcome. I'm an inveterate OS tweaker I'm afraid.