fractional numbers

M

MDOC teacher

How do I show the decimal equiv. of a fraction like 1/3. I want to show 0.33
with the bar over the 3 to indicate repeating. I don't know how to get the
bar over a number.

M

macropod

Here are three ways to put a bar over the '33' part of '0.33', using '0.' follwed by a field coded as :
· {EQ \x\to(33)}. This solution increases the vertical spacing for the affected line (which you could get around by reducing the
field’s point size).
· {EQ \o (--,33)}. To achieve the desired result, superscript the first character in the field and subscript the second character,
which leads to small characters for both (which you could counter by increasing the point size), but this too increases the vertical
spacing for the affected line …
· {EQ \s\up6(\f(,33))}. Compared to the other solutions, this one has the advantage of retaining the character sizes without
increasing the line height. The ‘6’ in the formula controls the bar height.

If you only want the bar over the last '3', use '0.3' follwed by a field coded as:
· {EQ \x\to(3)}. This solution increases the vertical spacing for the affected line (which you could get around by reducing the
field’s point size).
· {EQ \o (-,3)}. To achieve the desired result, superscript the first character in the field and subscript the second character,
which leads to small characters for both (which you could counter by increasing the point size), but this too increases the vertical
spacing for the affected line …
· {EQ \s\up6(\f(,3))}.

M

macropod

PS: The field brace pairs (ie '{ }') for the above examples are created via Ctrl-F9 - you can't simply type them or copy & paste
them from the NG message.

Ask a Question