FP2002 changes index.htm to index.html

G

Issue: FP2002 changes index.htm to index.html and I cannot find out why. How do I stop it? I delete the index.html that FP creates on the server and the host, then republish. And in front of my eyes I see the software copy index.htm and create index.html - both show up on server. Strangest thing is the index.html only links to a few pages, not all 705 pages, just 4 or 5 pages within the site. Weird! Any ideas?

From Log:
Thursday, June 17, 2004 23:18:52 PM Copied home page from "index.htm" to "index.html".
Thursday, June 17, 2004 23:18:53 PM Renamed "index.htm" to "index.html".

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Because the server you are publishing to has index.html set as the first default document (home
page). You host would have to be willing to change the order of default documents for your web
account.

FP will always rename the home page to what is required on your web host so that you site can be
accessed.
--
==============================================
Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Mike at B26.COM said:
Issue: FP2002 changes index.htm to index.html and I cannot find out why. How do I stop it? I
delete the index.html that FP creates on the server and the host, then republish. And in front of
my eyes I see the software copy index.htm and create index.html - both show up on server. Strangest
thing is the index.html only links to a few pages, not all 705 pages, just 4 or 5 pages within the
site. Weird! Any ideas?

A

Andrew Murray

it's strange....I can use index.htm and index.html
?? basically, FP identifies either as it's home page.

S

Stefan B Rusynko

Locally yes
- but on your hosted server usually it is just one of the 2 (first on list) when you publish w/ FP

--

| it's strange....I can use index.htm and index.html
| ?? basically, FP identifies either as it's home page.
|
|
|
| | > Because the server you are publishing to has index.html set as the first
| default document (home
| > page). You host would have to be willing to change the order of default
| documents for your web
| > account.
| >
| > FP will always rename the home page to what is required on your web host so
| that you site can be
| > accessed.
| > --
| > ==============================================
| > Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| > WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
| >
| > FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| > ==============================================
| > To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
| >
| > | > > Issue: FP2002 changes index.htm to index.html and I cannot find out why.
| How do I stop it? I
| > delete the index.html that FP creates on the server and the host, then
| republish. And in front of
| > my eyes I see the software copy index.htm and create index.html - both show up
| on server. Strangest
| > thing is the index.html only links to a few pages, not all 705 pages, just 4 or
| 5 pages within the
| > site. Weird! Any ideas?
| > >
| > > From Log:
| > > Thursday, June 17, 2004 23:18:52 PM Copied home page from "index.htm" to
| "index.html".
| > > Thursday, June 17, 2004 23:18:53 PM Renamed "index.htm" to "index.html".
| > >
| >
| >
|
|

S

Steve Easton

Rename your local copy to index.html and FrontPage will update all of the links.
Then Publish.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage
95isalive
This site is best viewed............
........................with a computer

Mike at B26.COM said:
Issue: FP2002 changes index.htm to index.html and I cannot find out why. How do I stop it? I
delete the index.html that FP creates on the server and the host, then republish. And in front of
my eyes I see the software copy index.htm and create index.html - both show up on server. Strangest
thing is the index.html only links to a few pages, not all 705 pages, just 4 or 5 pages within the
site. Weird! Any ideas?

G

Host claims no such server setting that would trigger FP to copy and convert index.htm to index.html.

Plus, the default new page creates .htm not .html if I change index.htm to index.html how do I them change settings for all new pages to be .html? FP98 had a setting, I can't find the setting in fp2002. Thanks.

T

Thomas A. Rowe

It is not a setting, it is order of the default documents listed for the website. FP will always use
the first one in the list.

All your host has to do is make sure that the default document that you want to use is the first one
in the list. However depending on how the host has their server configured, the setting may apply to
all webs hosted, so he will not be able to change just for your web.

If the host is running Windows 2000 or 2003 server, the default document list is a per web site
setting under IIS. The host can make this change in less than a minute.

When viewing your site in a browser, the server will return a default document that match a name in
the list when not specific document is requested.

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

Mike said:
Host claims no such server setting that would trigger FP to copy and convert index.htm to index.html.

Plus, the default new page creates .htm not .html if I change index.htm to index.html how do I
them change settings for all new pages to be .html? FP98 had a setting, I can't find the setting in
fp2002. Thanks.

G

Tom, your smarter than my host or my host is playing bumb... the problem is I have to change 705 pages from .htm to .html, yet when I do that to a test web new pages are created .htm. Can I change settings in FP to default to .html? Thanks again. Mike

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Mike,

The only page that needs the .html extension would be your default document (home page), the
remaining pages can keep the .htm extension, and there is no function in FP to set a default file
extension, because it really is not necessary

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

Mike said:
Tom, your smarter than my host or my host is playing bumb... the problem is I have to change 705
pages from .htm to .html, yet when I do that to a test web new pages are created .htm. Can I change
settings in FP to default to .html? Thanks again. Mike

G

OK Tom... I thought the extensions would require consistency throughout the domain structure to work right. I guess nobody is judging if the .htm/.html are uniform throughout the site, except me. If there is no functional benefit then let FP rename index.html and run with it. Thanks again. Mike

Ask a Question