Force a TFT to lower resolution?

Reaction score
Hi there I am wondering if there is any software / method to make a 1280 x 1024 monitor run at a lower resolution without blurring. My monitor trys to adjust and fit to the whole screen size whereas I would prefer if it if it could run with black borders and keep clarity of image for an old game I am trying to run.

Any help much appreciated

Cheers!

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Have you gone to Display Properties and lowered the resolution there?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think some TFTs have an option in the on screen display to do just that, as its the TFT itself changing the signal.

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Have you gone to Display Properties and lowered the resolution there?

Yes tried this but this is how the stretching occurs, there doesn`t appear to be a separate option here.

Ian Cunningham said:
I think some TFTs have an option in the on screen display to do just that, as its the TFT itself changing the signal.

I have not found this in the on screen display options but will double check the manual to see if I`ve missed something.

Thanks for your replies in the meantime :)

Reaction score
Unfortunately my monitor does not appear to have this option, if anyone can think of any other solution it would be great?

Cheers

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What is it you are trying to run at a lower resolution? Is it a DOS game per chance?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
TFT usually have what you call "native resolution" and they usually do not run well with any other resolution than the one it is supposed to. This is very much unlike CRT's which can by the user set at any resolution they like. You manual may mention something about native resolution and if so you need to use it at its default.

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Quadophile said:
TFT usually have what you call "native resolution" and they usually do not run well with any other resolution than the one it is supposed to. This is very much unlike CRT's which can by the user set at any resolution they like. You manual may mention something about native resolution and if so you need to use it at its default.
Like Quads, I was always told to avoid running TFT's at anything other than recommended resolution. Never found out why, but I've heard it from too many sources to just dismiss it as a rumour.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
CITech said:
Never found out why, but I've heard it from too many sources to just dismiss it as a rumour.

Now you know ;)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The native resolution on a LCD can be thought of as the maximum resolution on a CRT monitor. The big difference is that CRT monitors can display images at a lower resolution without picture quality loss while a LCD monitor has to rely on interpolation (scaling of the image). A LCD has to scale up a smaller image to fit into the area of the native resolution. This is the same principle as taking a smaller image in an image editing program and enlarging it, the clarity the smaller image had, loses its sharpness when it is expanded. This is especially problematic as most resolutions are in a 4:3 ratio (640×480, 800×600, 1024×768, 1600×1200) but there are odd resolutions that are not, notably 1280×1024. If a user was to map 1024×768 to a 1280×1024 screen there is going to be distortion as well as some image errors as there is not a one-to-one mapping with regards to pixels. This results in noticeable quality loss and the image is much less sharp. Some resolutions work well however as in the case of a 1600×1200 LCD and a 800×600 image. Since 800×600 is an integer factor of 1600×1200, scaling will not adversely affect the image.

Because of native resolution, some people who play computer games won't use LCD monitors since the native resolution is so high that it may cause frame rate issues when playing a game.

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Cheers Quads,

Another question to tick off my list! Very good info.:thumb:

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
What is it you are trying to run at a lower resolution? Is it a DOS game per chance?

No not DOS.

Thanks all for your info anyway. I was hoping there might be a tool that could send the full resolution to the monitor but box in the resolution sent from windows correctly. I`m sure this must be possible to code somehow but I`m no coder so couldn`t say for sure :).

Will carry on googling but its not looking hopeful at the mo.

Cheers again

Ask a Question