Follow up on WGA has problem and must close.

R

Richard in AZ

I recently asked about a problem one user was having on a pc where he would get a screen that
informed him that WGA Notification has a problem and had to close. This message came up 2 or 3
times at each start and closing the message let him work. Some times he also got a message Windows
Explorer had a problem and had to close and then he had to reboot. The other two users on the same
pc had no such problems with their accounts.

The wife does most of the computer use and she is very good at keeping the antivirus and antispyware
software up to date. I could not find any problems with the computer when logged on to either of
her two users accounts.

I could never find a fix that solved the husband's problem, but I did make another user account for
him, copied all of his files and basic settings over to the new user account and now he has no
problems. The old user account is still there (at his request until he feels I left nothing out of
the transfer.) and if he logs onto the old account the problems immediately recur. Interesting
side bar, I did not have to take ownership of any of the transferred files to make them work. I
hope to convince him let me delete the old user account soon. But he is 83 years old and does not
trust this new age of computers.

Just for my computer reference bank, if anyone has any ideas on why, how or where his profile was
corrupted, I would like to know.

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Download and install the latest WGA file:
http://download.microsoft.com/downl...3-2f04233a78a6/WindowsXP-KB905474-ENU-x86.exe

Afterward, restart the computer.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:

| I recently asked about a problem one user was having on a pc where he would get a screen that
| informed him that WGA Notification has a problem and had to close. This message came up 2 or 3
| times at each start and closing the message let him work. Some times he also got a message Windows
| Explorer had a problem and had to close and then he had to reboot. The other two users on the same
| pc had no such problems with their accounts.
|
| The wife does most of the computer use and she is very good at keeping the antivirus and antispyware
| software up to date. I could not find any problems with the computer when logged on to either of
| her two users accounts.
|
| I could never find a fix that solved the husband's problem, but I did make another user account for
| him, copied all of his files and basic settings over to the new user account and now he has no
| problems. The old user account is still there (at his request until he feels I left nothing out of
| the transfer.) and if he logs onto the old account the problems immediately recur. Interesting
| side bar, I did not have to take ownership of any of the transferred files to make them work. I
| hope to convince him let me delete the old user account soon. But he is 83 years old and does not
| trust this new age of computers.
|
| Just for my computer reference bank, if anyone has any ideas on why, how or where his profile was
| corrupted, I would like to know.

M

MAP

Richard said:
I recently asked about a problem one user was having on a pc where he
would get a screen that informed him that WGA Notification has a
problem and had to close. This message came up 2 or 3 times at each
start and closing the message let him work. Some times he also got a
message Windows Explorer had a problem and had to close and then he
had to reboot. The other two users on the same pc had no such
problems with their accounts.

The wife does most of the computer use and she is very good at
keeping the antivirus and antispyware software up to date. I could
not find any problems with the computer when logged on to either of
her two users accounts.

I could never find a fix that solved the husband's problem, but I did
make another user account for him, copied all of his files and basic
settings over to the new user account and now he has no problems.
The old user account is still there (at his request until he feels I
left nothing out of the transfer.) and if he logs onto the old
account the problems immediately recur. Interesting side bar, I did
not have to take ownership of any of the transferred files to make
them work. I hope to convince him let me delete the old user account
soon. But he is 83 years old and does not trust this new age of
computers.

Just for my computer reference bank, if anyone has any ideas on why,
how or where his profile was corrupted, I would like to know.

Thanx for the followup Richard!

Ask a Question