Folder sharing

Newsgroups

Hi
I have an external hard drive connected to my PC which I want to share on
the home network, my problem is I want to share the whole drive with my wife
(she has her laptop) but not all of it with the other PC's, I have been able
to share the whole drive with everyone (3 other PC's) but I have stopped
that as there are old documents, files etc which I feel only my wife and I
to should have access to and not the kids.

In short I want to share the whole drive with my wife and the rest with all
the network minus two folders, do I need some other software or is there a
way in Vista ultimate?

Thanks

Gordon

Sthief Ballmer

Em Segunda, 6 de Outubro de 2008 20:49, Newsgroups escreveu:
Hi
I have an external hard drive connected to my PC which I want to share on
the home network, my problem is I want to share the whole drive with my
wife (she has her laptop) but not all of it with the other PC's, I have
been able to share the whole drive with everyone (3 other PC's) but I have
stopped that as there are old documents, files etc which I feel only my
wife and I to should have access to and not the kids.

In short I want to share the whole drive with my wife and the rest with
all the network minus two folders, do I need some other software or is
there a way in Vista ultimate?

Thanks

Gordon

i can't expecify detailed information right now (don't have windows at
home), but:
there...
you can set the share to just one user, or just one PC by the Pc name or
it's IP on the network.
if you set just to one PC, your share don't even show on the other Pcs.
if you set to on user, the share will show on the other pcs but that they
will get a "access denied" trying to open it.

Newsgroups

Sthief Ballmer said:
Em Segunda, 6 de Outubro de 2008 20:49, Newsgroups escreveu:

i can't expecify detailed information right now (don't have windows at
home), but:
there...
you can set the share to just one user, or just one PC by the Pc name or
it's IP on the network.
if you set just to one PC, your share don't even show on the other Pcs.
if you set to on user, the share will show on the other pcs but that they
will get a "access denied" trying to open it.

Hi
Thanks for the reply, I think I am being stupid or missing something, I can
share a folder but I tried the IP address of my wife's pc and it said it
cant find it, I have SHARE as an option or advanced options, Share lets me
do the obvious with anyone, Advanced is weird, it gives me people to share
with but they are Me, My wife on this PC and that's it, I tried adding her
IP address and got no where, to be honest I am a little lost. I know I can
share and the network is open because if I share the whole drive or a folder
every PC in the house can use it, but to try and let just my wife's laptop
see it is not beyond me just eluding me at the moment.

Any help or if you feel I missing something important that would be great.

Gordon

Sthief Ballmer

Em Segunda, 6 de Outubro de 2008 21:39, Newsgroups escreveu:
Hi
Thanks for the reply, I think I am being stupid or missing something, I
can
share a folder but I tried the IP address of my wife's pc and it said it
cant find it, I have SHARE as an option or advanced options, Share lets me
do the obvious with anyone, Advanced is weird, it gives me people to share
with but they are Me, My wife on this PC and that's it, I tried adding her
IP address and got no where, to be honest I am a little lost. I know I can
share and the network is open because if I share the whole drive or a
folder every PC in the house can use it, but to try and let just my wife's
laptop see it is not beyond me just eluding me at the moment.

Any help or if you feel I missing something important that would be great.

Gordon
Try to give access just to you and your wife, if your wife's user on the
laptop is the same it might work, try it... i know this works fine when all
computers are members of a domain, but with workgroups i'm just not sure.

i know another way, but it will affect all shares and not just that one...
it's about limiting the "share folders and printers" service to just one
especified IP. (this is in the preferences of the network interface)

again, since i don't have a windows system here, i can't guide you step by
step, click by click... can only point you the way.

good luck

Malke

Newsgroups said:
Hi
I have an external hard drive connected to my PC which I want to share on
the home network, my problem is I want to share the whole drive with my
wife (she has her laptop) but not all of it with the other PC's, I have
been able to share the whole drive with everyone (3 other PC's) but I have
stopped that as there are old documents, files etc which I feel only my
wife and I to should have access to and not the kids.

In short I want to share the whole drive with my wife and the rest with
all the network minus two folders, do I need some other software or is
there a way in Vista ultimate?

Since you have Ultimate, you can create fine-grained permissions. Simply
make separate user accounts - with passwords - on your computer for your
wife, yourself, and your kids. Make the one for your wife match the one on
her laptop. If she isn't currently using a password, assign one. You can
always set her computer to log in automatically to her account.

The instructions at this link work for both XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

Then create a folder on the external drive and put whatever you want to
share with her exclusively in it. IOW, don't just try and share the whole
drive. On that folder, assign permissions so that only your account and
your wife's account have read/write access. Make sure child objects
(whatever folders/files are in there) inherit permissions from the parent
(the "exclusive" folder you made). Then if your kids try to access that
folder, they will get "access denied".

Malke

[...]

Maybe these two discussions will help furder:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.p...pic=641169&pid=589458786&st=0&#entry589458786

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=641162

gls858

Malke said:
[...]

I agree with you but it might be easier to share the whole drive then go
in and REMOVE the everyone setting on the two he doesn't want to share.
Then add he and his wife with full access. He only wants to restrict the
children from two folders.

gls858

Mr. Arnold

Newsgroups said:
Hi
I have an external hard drive connected to my PC which I want to share on
the home network, my problem is I want to share the whole drive with my
wife (she has her laptop) but not all of it with the other PC's, I have
been able to share the whole drive with everyone (3 other PC's) but I have
stopped that as there are old documents, files etc which I feel only my
wife and I to should have access to and not the kids.

In short I want to share the whole drive with my wife and the rest with
all the network minus two folders, do I need some other software or is
there a way in Vista ultimate?

The software is already there on the computer. It's called NTFS.

Yes, you use it by simply going to the folders and to the Security tab on
the folders and adding or removing what user accounts can access the folders
and the permissions or no permissions the user will have on the folders. If
a user account is not on the folder, then the user has no rights on the
folder period.

You'll have to use Control/Panel/Folder Options to go to the View tab and
uncheck Simple File Sharing, which will expose the Security tab when you
use Explore to right-click the folder and use Properties..

http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Content/592/1.html#1

You should delete the Users(machine-name\users) off of the folder, because
all users of the computer will have the permissions for what ever Users is
set to, or uncheck everything for Users and leave it.

Malke

gls858 said:
I agree with you but it might be easier to share the whole drive then go
in and REMOVE the everyone setting on the two he doesn't want to share.
Then add he and his wife with full access. He only wants to restrict the
children from two folders.

With respect, Vista treats sharing the root of drives differently than XP.
In order to share an entire drive, which is not recommended, you have to
allow Everyone. That was the reason behind my suggestion. I got the
information about difficulties sharing the root of a drive from Michael
Bell (MS).

Malke

gls858

Malke said:
With respect, Vista treats sharing the root of drives differently than XP.
In order to share an entire drive, which is not recommended, you have to
allow Everyone. That was the reason behind my suggestion. I got the
information about difficulties sharing the root of a drive from Michael
Bell (MS).

Malke
Thanks for the info Malke. I was not aware of that restriction.

gls858