Flops' Friday mini blog

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Haven't posted here for a while and STILL feel uncomforable with this, I think if I'm doing this crap then maybe everybody should.

Ooh no, don't feel uncomfortable Flopps, your blogs are enjoyable to read over brekky and coffee ...so much easier on the digestion than Google News! :D

Not sure if you were being serious, but fwiw, the idea of a few more members contributing an occasional blog, sounds like a good 'un, because it can get a bit quiet around here sometimes. Understandable, of course. There is life outside the internet... or so I've heard ;)

Congrats to your girls on their Uni achievements, very well done them!!

Sorry to hear about the work drying up. We were chatting to the builder (mentioned in another thread) who has been doing some repair jobs for us. He's a very concientious and hard-worker, who has been "flying solo" since January. He signed-up to the "MyBuilder" website (which is where we discovered him originally) and so far, it has helped to keep him busy. Lots of his work now comes from returning customers and word-of-mouth recommendations.

Maybe it would be worth considering joining that - or a similar - website? I think the fees can vary quite a bit though, so worth checking before committing to any of them. "MyBuilder" charges a percentage based upon the quote, but another site requires the contractor to "buy" the customer's contact details. (In the latter case, if the job-quote is unsuccessful, the contractor is credited with the cost of the "wasted" details, so he's only paying for successful leads and doesn't actually end-up out-of-pocket..... if you understand what I mean?)

Anyway, just a suggestion - but hopefully, your flyers will do the trick and generate interest in your skills. Good luck :thumb:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
There is always the possibility of voluntary driving, not great in the smoke I know but you get to choose what hours you do which could be handy. An it is tax free etc etc and you earn loads of brownie points.
You can always apply for some Social Security and other benefits even as a self employed. You have to show the DHSS acounts every month I think and me mate who is doing this at the moment muttered something about getting Working Tax Credits. Am not up to speed on all the ins and outs but it worked for me when I claimed ten years ago. I didn't want to but it did keep me haed above water and wasn't too arduous to claim.

nod.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Volunteering does not equal tins of beans in kitchen cupboard, sad to say. So I'm sorry but unless I get passionate about something, that not for me. I know, me bad, perhaps, but truthful.

Today I went and saw me Mum and on the journey there had this idea fora post.

Here's the idea:

Led Zeppelin – a summary.

One of my favourestist bands of all time, here’s my appraisal of their output with memories of each album.

I will start with Led Zep II as the story that goes with the first album is perhaps the best so I don’t want to set a precedent.

Led Zeppelin II:

The first time I heard ‘Whole Lotta Love’ I wasn’t impressed, to be honest. It was kinda ok, but to me it seemed as if Whole Lotta Love was to rock music what painting by numbers was to real artistry.

The CCS version and the use of it for the Top Of The Pops theme tune bore out my judgement, I feel.

Having said that, apart from the drum solo, the rest of the album is superb, especially ‘Thank You’ and ‘Ramble On’.

Led Zep II for some off reason always reminds me of a nurses dance I went to at Hither Green Hospital around the time the album was released. The hospital is no longer there, it’s a housing estate now but it was in Hither Green Lane, the entrance was on the bend just before the row of shops.

My mate Phil Hurrell ran a mobile disco then and he played the sounds at this dance. Around 10pm it went off. Everybody seemed to be fighting everybody else. I have vivid memories of a young girl, probably a nurse, with blood streaming over her face from a cut forehead and saw one bloke be whacked full round the face with a chair.

After he was hit with the chair a gout of blood spurted out, hit the wall and ran down it. He collapsed, presumably unconscious, and I saw a pool of blood form around his head. Not being fond of being physically hurt and it not being my fight, I surreptitiously slipped away and went down the nearest pub.

I’m sure a fella named Pat Gallagher started that ruck, nasty little thug he was, came from the council estate flats at the other end of Hither Green Lane and always starting fights. He gave me a right hander once when I was sixteen for no good reason. One person I’m glad I lost touch with.

Led Zeppelin Three:

Off to a blistering start with Immigrant Song, this is an excellent album and hinted at what was to come. The original vinyl sleeve had little window holes in the front with an inner circular disc covered with little symbols and pictures, when you turned the disk the images appeared in the cut-outs.

Lots of quieter moments my faves are ‘Tangerine’ and ‘Gallows Pole’

This album mostly reminds me of meeting a lifelong friend, Bob Crawley (along with the Rolling Stones’ Sticky Fingers) as he also enthused about ‘Gallows Pole’. We both took a varied mixture of drugs to Led Zep III.

It also reminds me of a few years after the album was released when I was booked to be fill-in DJ at The Bull in East Sheen (near Putney) when the regular DJ, John Peel, went on holiday.

I played three Sunday evenings there, and at the time was into the track ‘Celebration Day’ and so played it each night. Went to that gig in my works transit van, my girlfriend of the time Stacey (Phil Hurrell’s sister) two orange 4 x 12 colums, a 200W Selmer valve amp and a coffin with a pair of turntables fitted with ceramic cartridges.

And probably a few lights. Maybe.

Led Zeppelin VI

Now we be cooking with gas. The opening track ‘Black Dog’ has possibly the best rock riff ever, in my opinion. One of those songs that I always find myself singing to myself without realising. Another one of those songs is ‘Please Mr Postman’ originally by Smokey and also covered by the Beatles and The Carpenters which makes me wonder where my brain is at sometimes.

However, I digress.

Sandy Denny’s in there and the album finishes with the very powerful ‘When The Levee Breaks’. In fact this musical outing’s greatness is only marred by ‘Stairway To Heaven’ which as far as I’m concerned is just yuk. I liked it when it first came out but I’ve now heard it two million times and it just grates these days. See also guitar shop poster reference in the movie ‘Waynes World’.

Memories of this one? The Southwark Park Tavern for sure where Roy, Bob and myself ran a disco at least four nights a week for around nine months. It was upstairs, only one staircase down to the main bar, a fire trap for sure.

Very druggy, full of real life villains in the Kray mould, and run by a guy named Billy Tarrant who was at one time Welterweight Boxing champion for Rotherhithe & Bermondsey and also worked as a roadie for The Small faces and was mates with John Lennon.

When Billy got tired of having his nose broken in the ring he opened The Southwark Park Tavern and his mate John Lennon performed the opening ceremony for him. Billy used to call us the Juke Box Boys and he liked us, for some odd reason.

Once, Bob played a game of Jacks with the regulars and when Roy and I arrived at 8pm to play records we found Bob unconscious slumped over the nearby park’s railings.

And finally, sometimes Billy couldn’t sleep and so after the pub shut he’d sometimes drive us all up to the West End in this funny little Renault 5 or something (he’d say ‘Flick the ash on the floor, DO NOT use the ash trays, it devalues the motor’) and we’d visit dodgy basement clubs and dives I never knew existed in places like Bayswater and Knightsbridge.

The bouncers at these places were built like Godzilla but Billy’s face got him in everywhere. Fun times and an eye-opener.

Houses Of The Holy:

Oh dear. What happened? This album was a bit naff to be totally honest. Had a few moments but overall was a huge disappointment. High point? I don’t think there was one. D’Yer Make ‘Er? Nope.

Memories:

Was living in a bedsit in Dinsdale Road, Blackheath when I bought this album. At this place I smoked an awful lot of marijuana, popped a lot of amphetamines, drunk too much wine and entertained some very lovely women. Which makes it sound better than it was, cos it wasn’t very glamorous at all, really.

At that time I working as a van driver delivering smoked salmon to assorted restaurants and rich Jewish ladies in London. Most ladies I took out for the day in that van wondered why I smelled of fish. ‘That’s not me, that’s the van’ ‘But I thought you worked for a newspaper?’ ‘Ok, I lied’.

Physical Graffitti:

This was it, the high point. A double album with not a duff track on it and enough highs to keep the most voracious of musical junkies satisfied for at least a decade. Hard to pick out one track as being better than another but will mention ‘Boogie With Stu’ and ‘Black Country Woman’ which are far from obvious choices but faves of mine.

Memories? I got into this album a little late but I always thinks of my first wife’s brother, Glen, when I hear this as he shared my enthusiasm for it. Glen’s possible claim to fame was that he was friends with Terry Chimes who the Clash renamed Tory Crimes when he drummed for them.

Glen lived at Deptford and had a very nice sister.

And I can remember playing ‘Kashmir’ when I was DJ-ing in a pub named The China Hall in Rotherhithe circa ’75. And almost cleared the place, they were more into Philly Soul, truth be told. Oh well, you gotta try.

Presence:

The opening track ‘Achilles Last Stand’ is passable, all the rest is rubbish.

This was the first album I bought after I’d bought my first real Hi Fi system – a Rotel receiver at 10 watts per channel; Pioneer PL12D Turntable with Shure 75EJ Cartridge and pair of Wharfedale Denton loudspeakers. And a pair of Koss Pro4A headphones.

Bit of a naff choice, really, poor way to break in a new sound system. But soon to come to be listened to on that system was the first Sex Pistols album. That woke me up.

In Through The Out Door:

Another crap album, only track worth playing is probably ‘All Of My Love’

Memories? Not many, maybe living in Sidcup and DJ-ing at The Saxon with Del Stevens.

Coda:

A poor way to finish a career although the band admitted this was just a collection of outtakes and different versions just to please fans. The only good tracks, oddly enough, were the bonus tracks added later to the CD reisuue, notably White Summer Black Mountain Side and Hey Hey What Can I Do (which actually was issued on an Atlantic Sampler album some years earlier).

And that’s about it, except for me to comment on the very first Led Zeppelin album release.

Led Zep I:

In 1969, when this was first released, it’s difficult to try and explain the impact this album had on popular music. It oozed class, energy, rawness and came at you like a well meaning kick in the nuts. Totally awesome.

I first heard mention of this LP when I was working as a trainee reporter at Fleet Street News Agency (which is a news agency in Fleet Street, oddly enough) when one of the reporters, Steve Downer, came in on the night shift and was going on about how great it was. This must have been winter time as I recall.

Next, I paid seven shillings and sixpence to see Led Zeppelin at Bromley Technical College and remember the gig was not packed at all. I also thought Led Zeppelin were ‘Quite Good’. It was me and girlfriend of the time, Sue Collins, me mate Roy and his then girlfriend Kathy Barrat.

After the gig we went bowling at Lewisham bowling alley.

When I eventually bought the album, early summertime, Phil Hurrell (I have mentioned him earlier) invited me to Hastings on a Friday. I don’t know how but he’d pulled some student girl who was staying in Hastings in this Bed & Breakfast place for the weekend.

She had told him that if he could sneak past the landlady he could spend the night with her, so I suppose our Phil was a little excited about this. He said I’d have to sleep in the motor though which caused me a little concern.

It was summer, it was warm, but his car was a frog-eyed Sprite which at that moment in time didn’t have either hard or soft tops fitted, cos the weather was so nice..

I said ‘How the **** I gonna sleep in that?’ He said ‘Simple, take the spare wheel out from behind the seats there’s enough room there and it’ll also give some shelter in case it rains’. Being 18, this seemed reasonable to me so off we went.

We drank in The Pump House, and around midnight Phil snuck in to see his amorous student and I curled up behind the front seats and dozed off. The spare wheel, incidentally, was on the passenger’s seat and I remember thinking I hoped nobody nicked it which was, perhaps, a rather irrational thought.

Some 15 minutes later this black haired lady, some years older than me, shook me awake. I thought to myself the 1969 equivalent of ‘WTF?’ and said ‘Yes?’

She spoke to me ‘Hello, I know your mate’s up there with Cherie (Cherie? Bloody blimey) but I don’t mind, I’m the landlady here. I saw you go to sleep in the car and I honestly don’t think you’ll be comfortable. Would you like to come inside my place for a drink, I can give you a better bed for the evening’.

This seemed good to me so I put the spare wheel back where it belonged and yawning, stepped through the front door.

I was 18, she must have been 35 and seemed positively ancient to me at the time. She had long black hair, possibly dyed, was slim and had the most adorable sparkling eyes. We drank wine in the kitchen where she told me her husband was a long distance lorry driver who was away to Germany for the next three days.

We must have spoken for an hour and we got on well. She said ‘Ok, would you like me to show you your bed?’ ‘Ok’ said I.

On seeing the bed I realised it was her bed.

Fast forward to morning time, no room for smut here.

We’re seated at the breakfast table around 9am me and her (I can’t remember her name for the life of me) drinking coffee and I’m feeling both knackered and elated. Phil sneaks down from upstairs and creeps past the open kitchen doorway thinking he’s got away with staying the night. The landlady says in a very loud voice ‘Good morning Phillip’ and we both laugh.

Phil looks mortified, comes back and looks in the kitchen doorway. His face was a picture when he sees me and her. I said ‘I’ll see you in the motor Phil, and don’t worry’. That wuz funnee.

I bid the landlady farewell and have not seen nor heard from her to this day, which may be just as well, really.

So we drive back, me and Phil, we’re both happy.

The Sprite is open topped, it’s very sunny. Phil is dark skinned on account he’s half Jewish, I’m fair skinned on account of being born in Birkenhead and of unknown ancestry so unbeknown to me I get sunburn and sunstroke on the journey home.

That evening we go to a house party in Petts Wood and around 10pm I feel distinctly ill, sunstroke kicking in.

I go home, sleep for 24 hours, wake, stay up all night, breakfast and feel ok.

I sit there sipping coffee and think to myself a great deal, life seems good. I was 18, what did I know?

So there, folks, is what Led Zeppelin I reminds me of. Could be worse I suppose.

To this day when I hear the opening chords and lyrics ‘In the days of my youth I was told what it means to be a man’ I still go tingly.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Fantastic mate really enjoyed reading that!

Keep it going Mr Flopp's this ere blog is a must read on a bleary eyed saturday morning..:D

I found myself saying ohhhhhhhhhh when you wouldn't elaborate on the smut bit of what happened when the landlady showed you her bed..;)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I echo my learned friend's observations m'lud, 'tis a seriously good read :nod:

You know Flopps... you could be missing out on a fortune in royalties. Your reminiscences would make such an entertaining book.... Would you not agree chaps and chap-esses?
:thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thank you folks :)

And speaking of Coda's I didn't mention any Zep live albums.

I have three: The BBC Sessions; The Song Remains The Same and How The West Was One. I think that's all there are apart from bootlegs but I could be mistaken.

If you must buy at least one go for the triple CD set 'How The West Was One'.

It's raw, powerful and to my mind truly captures the band as they were at the time, June 1972.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
onfess I only got the one Led Zep album Mr Flopp's and thats Mothership best of album, some good tracks on there though and a few you have mentioned in this thread..I'll post up the Back cover so you can take a look as long as you don't mind of course..

back.jpg

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
When I completed my last main computer build way back in November 2006 I purchased and installed a Noctua NF-S1.2-1200 120mm fan in the side of my case to keep the graphics card cool.

Yesterday it packed up. Well well, have never had a 120mm fan pack up on me yet. I know they have a limited lifespan but similarly aged and used fans, Antec and Coolermaster amongst them, are still going strong after similar circumstances.

I have long championed Noctua coolers and fans, time to do a double take perhaps? Replaced it with a spare Antec 120mm, doesn't look so good and it's a fraction noisier. But it works.

Was down the lockup recently and took home quite a few IKEA pine pic frames, all different sizes, I bought many years ago and never used. Thought I'd make some pix to put in them and so have started scanning Q Magazine picture supplements, lots of great pix. So far scanned Jimi Hendrix, Joy Division and those two fabulous ladies from the B-52's.

using an old HP Photosmart 7960 printer which for Win 7 has only basic software, not many options. Printed the pix on Epson A4 photo paper and they're coming out green tinted. No good. No good at all. Changed the black cartridge, printed one more, just the same. WTF? I suspect printer too old to agree with Win 7. Consumerism?

I'm a little scared atm, this no work thing is getting to me. It's one thing being able to do what you like all day, quite another to wonder how August's bills are going to be paid. Fek.

I was spammed today by a supposed female who said she was in NY USA and visiting uk next month and would I get in touch with her. Attached was a pic of a very attractive lady late 30's/early 40's. This one slipped through the net but I did scan the attachment first.

There are some despicable people in this world and this one has somehow picked up on me. I sent a somewhat obscene reply back to the e-mail address (in Germany) damning them to hell, so to speak, but of course it was returned as undelivered. The Internet. Anarchy. Dangerous ground for innocents.

Right now playing OMD's Greatest hits on vinyl. Prior to that several Only Ones albums.

Gave my push bike a small service and fitted light brackets to it, a good friend gave me a pair of bike lights a whiles ago, those flashing led thingies, so it was about time I fitted them. Went out on bike, chain fell off. Got very greasy fingers.

Spent two hours back home adusting gear change linkages so chain wouldn't fall off. Almost lost patience but got there in the end. Took bike out again. Chain didn't fall off. Had a pint at the Coach & Horses in the Market Square. Nobody there I knew but atmosphere good.

Something is eating one of my patio plants, the tree, my favourite one, though it seems to have stopped now. A spray, perhaps?

Glastonbury starts this weekend and it looks like it's going to be sunny.Hmm. Sour grapes? No, not all, lol, if you're going - enjoy, best place in the world to be when weather's good.

For me, something better change, quick.

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi Flops, missed you (and the rest of the Crew)... My Manager still off till at least August ...(5 months in a large managerial role)...some aspects still scare me ( 1200 degree tunnel kilns but hey i`m getting there ). I am working my B*****ks off and have probably had only 3 weekends off since March. On staff and not getting paid though sucks.Hope your luck changes m8...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It's Friday, it's 18:43 hours, the sun is shining, there's an extremely stiff wind blowing outside so it must be time for me musings.

Finally just cleared out all the 12" vinyl I didn't want, all gone now except for the few I wanted to keep, which at this moment is around 310 albums, 30 12" singles and around ten 10" singles. I kept the 10" singles mostly for the novelty value, amongst them Kirsty McColl's 'Days' and The Thunderbirds Theme.

I've part exchanged some and managed to buy a few turkeys like the first album by Klaatu; Songs For A Tailor by Jack Bruce and The Best Of Curved Air. All of which sounded good in their day but on reflection now sound like a pretentious load of twaddle. I think me Mum & Dad were probably right about some of my records when they said they were rubbish.

Mind you, me Mum and Dad said most of the stuff I listned to was rubbish.

Curved Air. What a whole load of crapola, except for 'Back Street Love' - how did I fall for that when I was aged 18-22?

So, I now have 18 vinyl albums bookmarked for disposal, whether by sale or exchange. Next up I'll be sorting the 7" singles and there's many more of those than all the 12" stuff.

Latest vinyl acquistions, amongst others: Led Zep III; Dusty In Memphis; Tubular Bells; New Order Radio One Live In Concert. Groovy.

I mentioned in another thread I was going to try and install Win 95 to my socket A machine so I could play one game. Tried to install from the CD but then realised that even a Win 98 install needed to be started from a floppy disk containing CD drive drivers.

Not remembering what to do I installed DOS 6.22 from three floppies. I then tried to find the Win 95 upgrade CD in the drive (which I assumed was 'D' drive) but it kept telling me there was no such drive. Maybe I got the command wrong but I don't think so.

So atm I'm installing Windows 3.1 from 8 floppy disks. Started that install from DOS. One prob, I'm using a PS2 keyboard which is recognised but the USB mouse isn't recognised. I think have a USB to PS2 adapter and a generic USB Logi mouse which may work but otherwise I'm probably snookered unless I can get me mitts on a PS2 mouse.

For navigating within the Win 3.1 setup I just used the TAB keyboard command.

I'm also surprised so far that all the floppy disks are fault free but they have been stored well. And they're all backed up to a CD as well.

I'm wondering where I'm going to find drivers to suit Win 95, it's onboard sound, and an Nvidia AGP graffix card. I have a feeling I will not be successful. I do have a few old Creative sound cards that I probably still have drivers for somewhere but without suitable video drivers any game within Win 95 will be unplayable.

As for work, had a call today to look at some possible work on the 27th July but other than that - nowt. Things is grim.

Lucy graduated on Wednesday and Sophie graduated this afternoon.

I got this letter today it's a copy of a letter the hospital sends my GP (And for you smokers, this is the harsh reality, lol ):

guysletter.jpg

It's now 17:06 hours and, I feel, time for some Guinness :)

PS: Absolutely enjoying the game 'NIER' on the Xbox 360, managed to pick it up cheap.

I want Red Dead Redemtion and Naughty Bear for the Xbox 360 as well but I refuse to pay 40 quid each for them so - patience.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Still an excellent read Tony..Also after reading the contents of your letter(thanks for sharing by the way) I am very glad that you are completely clear!
Keep shining mate..
nod.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
crazylegs said:
Still an excellent read Tony..Also after reading the contents of your letter(thanks for sharing by the way) I am very glad that you are completely clear!
Keep shining mate..
nod.gif

Thank you :)

But... not completely out of the woods yet, they say five years is the time period from treatment ending when any recurrence would be very unlikely to happen, which means I have about 17 months to go. Which is, I must say, kinda frightening but there ya go.

However, they all seem happy with me, it's all smiles when I visit the hospital lately. I'm also seeing the Consultant every six months, he's the guy who operated on me.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Brief update on Win 95.

Win 3.1 now installed; usb mouse not working; haven't tried adapter as the optical drive isn't seen within Win 3.1 so seems no point in trying it.

The optical drive is a DVDRW drive and is recognised in the BIOS as a slave on the first IDE channel. It's also seen ok within Win 98. This is puzzling me but without being able to access the Win 95 upgrade CD it seems I've come to a grinding halt.

How odd, don't understand this at all.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Naughty Bear is the only bear on Perfection Island that is not invited to Daddles' birthday party. Naughty tries to be nice anyway and even crafted a gift for the occasion, hoping he and Daddles could become friends. When two other bears, Chubby and Giggles, saw that Naughty had a present, they laughed at him. This made Naughty sulk back to his house. He then decides to get revenge on the bears.

The game takes place over the course of 7 episodes, during which Naughty Bear goes on a killing spree "punishing" the various other inhabitants of Perfection Island. In the later episodes, Naughty Bear also has to deal with a variety of other unusual events appearing on the island, including zombie bears and robotic bears.

In the 7th and final episode, a bear named Sunbeam makes contact with aliens, however, the aliens enslave the bears and take over the island. After killing the aliens, Naughty Bear is congratulated by the other bears for his effort, and was even offered a cake. However, Daddles smashes the cake in Naughty's face, humiliating him in front of all the bears on the island. Heartbroken, Naughty Bear goes back to his hut, but not before he kills all the bears with a rocket launcher

Sounds absolutely hilarious, and I am now tempted to get it myself for the XBox360..:D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I have a Win 95 discPlus Pack and Utilities and serial. It came from the local college along with lots of pc's. You are welcome to it if it is of any use.

happywave.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
I have a Win 95 discPlus Pack and Utilities and serial. It came from the local college along with lots of pc's. You are welcome to it if it is of any use.

happywave.gif

What's that then? Is it actually a full Win 95 install disc as opposed to an upgrade? (which is what I have).

If so, yes please :)

If it's just add on utilities I have a few of those myself.

I just tried the mouse usb/PS2 adapter and it didn't work within Win 3.1

Also just fired up Win 98 and there's the optical drive listed as 'D' plain as day. Quite odd.

Crazylegs, thanks for the Argos link, 33 quid is almost acceptable as it's meant to be a superb game and yes, Naughty Bear seems like my kind of sick and twisted game :D

Hmm, 33 quid, Should I? Should I? The way things are it'll mean beans grits and noodles for a month but hell, I'm tempted...

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Looks like a full install disc. I'll pop it in the post probably on Monday as I doubt I'll get to the GPO tomorrow.
user.gif

Ask a Question