Flops' Friday mini blog

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
You've certainly had some great experiences Sir Flopps.

James Hunt, wow.... he was quite the pin-up of his day... to use a bit of an out-dated expression. I wasn't into motor racing, but it was impossible not to be aware of that rather good-looking driver, who's face used regularly to adorn teen-mags. He, and other sportsmen (such as footballer George Best) were pretty much given "pop-star" status by a breed of fans, who basically just thought.... phwoarrr! lol

It must have been tremendously exciting to be able to visit so many venues where "it was all happening" back then. I can imagine your job would probably be perceived as very glamorous to your friends. Great memories indeed. :nod:

CSB

Reaction score
Excellent work on the build Flops. I wouldn't know where to start.

I take it your not colour blind with all those wires? lol

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Rode out on my bicycle to the pub tonight on this rare English sunny summer day (well, these days are rare this year anyway), spoke and drank with friends, rode on, ended up in good friends' back garden celebrating his woman's birthday, met folk I hadn't met before, talked, learnt that a lady I had a one night stand with 12 years ago in this same location had died of cancer two years ago, learnt that an old friend I no longer see very often had suffered a stroke. Days of wine and roses?

Rode back as dusk was falling, through Greenwich Uni, this a pic I took as the light was setting, seated on me bike, the sky had a most peculiar hue

8529d1373498158-flops-friday-mini-blog-uni001.jpg

Attachments

• uni001.jpg
    uni001.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 161

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Sounds like a nice evening - in part. I hope your old friend who suffered the stroke, will go on to make a good recovery in time.

Good pic of Greenwich Uni, Sir Flopps. But did you notice that the clocks are set at a 15 minute difference..? (9:30 left clock, 9:15 clock on the right.) Perhaps the "fast" one is for the benefit of students who are always running a bit late. Or perhaps the large-hand swung down, under the weight of an escaping spy..... (perhaps I've watched The 39 Steps a bit too often!! lol)

darcy

Enjoyin' the Breeze
Reaction score
good on ye, ~ gettin' out and about : ); cheers for the pic!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ventured out again this evening on my two wheeled conveyance, a few snaps:

The rowing club were out, gleefully making maneuvers in the middle of the Thames when round the corner steamed a massive ocean-going behemoth. Amazing how fast those row boats can travel when needs be :)

boat001.jpg

boat002.jpg

boat003.jpg

boat004.jpg

boat005.jpg

boat006.jpg

boat007.jpg

boat008.jpg

And a few mates of mine, Bob, Gordon & Ben:

boat009.jpg

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
wow, that boat is registered to the Bahamas ... are the Bahamians really on holiday to sunny England?

:lol:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
"Left-hand down a bit Number One...our pointy-end is heading straight for ..." crunch... "Ooh nasty.."

Good photos Sir Flopps... one doesn't get to see many of those large liners floating along the Taff.:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Plantz update, they be thriving lately, bug problem seems to have dissipated, regular feeding, water and just lately, sunshine, seems to agree with them. Ever-changing scenery here, they really do dish out a feelgood factor for me. Taken a couple of days ago, I decided to take plants off the top of the coffin, as it would inevitably lead to it rotting.

I figured I'd repaint the coffin lid and then give it a few coats of varnish to preserve it. So it is now not a plant stand but a seat. I have cushions for it as well :)

0021.jpg

0022.jpg

0023.jpg

0024.jpg

0025.jpg

0026.jpg

0027.jpg

0028.jpg

0029.jpg

0030.jpg

0031.jpg

0032.jpg

0033.jpg

0034.jpg

muckshifter

Reaction score
good to see you have a nice selection of Sun Loving plants there Flops ... I'm a Pot-Plant gardener meself, no patio at my 3 floor Hovel.

:cool:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I figured I'd repaint the coffin lid and then give it a few coats of varnish to preserve it. So it is now not a plant stand but a seat. I have cushions for it as well
Or... open the lid and you have a sun-bed......er, or maybe not. ;)

The plants are looking really good, obviously flourishing, and the lily is gorgeous, it's such a lovely colour. Is that a Shamrock just in front of it?

Piggy is clearly doing a good job of guarding the plants against bugs and what-not.

Your balcony garden looks like it would be a very pleasant place to enjoy the recent great weather. Think we'll have to re-christen you Percy Bootstomp, seeing that you have such green fingers! :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for comments :)

I bought the Lily from Asdas, it was very reasonably priced as I recall, I didn't know what it was, just saw that it was green and was for outdoors. It was tiny when I bought it, then it just got huge and surprised me when it flowered. Mind you, I suppose the label 'Asiatic Lily' was a bit of a giveaway, doh :rolleyes: Wish I'd bought a few more of them now.

The plant in front is a bunch of marigolds, I'd recently cut them right down but they soon grow back. They came with two of the other bigger plants that were given to me some years back, I just transferred a few bulbs to their own pot. They are also in one of the boots.

No sun today, but no rain either - and it's cooler :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
you may be aware, I'm being polite there, that the Lily is a plant grown from bulb, so expect it to 'die a bit' in winter. They do love full sun.

If you want more, go get some bulbs, they bound to be cheaper than the a grown plant. Sep-Oct for planting.

I'm a plant-pot gardener. :)

you need some veggies and herbs

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
All looking great, I love those lilies! We've got some in our garden which the previous owner planted, and we've yet to see them flower. Any day now hopefully, although I hope they stay as buds during the upcoming storms! Our grass is looking very brown and sad so a bit of rain would be very welcome right now.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for replies folks :) Mucks: Believe it or not I didn't realise the Asiatic Lily was grown from a bulb :blush:

When it dies I'll put the bulb with the daffodil bulbs ready for replanting.

Lil update to my home media setup:

I wanted to add a CD player and cassette deck to my setup but my furniture unit didn't have enough room. The cost of building a new unit from scratch was surprisingly high so I decided to just add another layer using 400 x 18 pineboard (from B & Q). It cost £20 and I had all the other bits including the varnish.

Turned out looking ok in my opinion and certainly agreed with my budget

Bitz:

Bottom row: Valve phono preamp; Media computer; Valve headphone amp; cordless headphones
Next row up: Stacked: Blu-Ray player; Switcher; Pro-ject Solid State Phono Preamp; Blu-Ray remote; Valve Amplifier; Xbox 360; Headphone/Loudspeaker switch; DAC; Remotes for Telly & Computer
Next Row Up: NAD 613 Cassette Deck; 2 x Xbox 360 Wireless gamepads; CD player remote; Marantz CD52 Mk II CD Player
Next Row Up: The telly

8536d1374529473-flops-friday-mini-blog-extralayer001.jpg

8537d1374529473-flops-friday-mini-blog-extralayer002.jpg

Attachments

• extralayer001.jpg
    extralayer001.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 147
  • extralayer002.jpg
    extralayer002.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 142

Ask a Question