fix floppy boot sector/rebuild fat?

anglomont

Hi I need to get data off the floppy with dead boot sector (possibly
FATs as well)
now there are programs like 'resqfloppy' , 'floppy diskfix' and 'Test
disk' that refresh the

boot sector appropriatelly but if sector 1 is physically damaged I
suppose this does not work

but a data clone should be made instead, onto a good floppy and then
try the recovery?
Is there any tool that can rebuild a FAT12 using data from both
(possibly partially
damaged)copies?
tnx

Russg

<anglomont wrote in message news:
Hi I need to get data off the floppy with dead boot sector (possibly
FATs as well)
now there are programs like 'resqfloppy' , 'floppy diskfix' and 'Test
disk' that refresh the

boot sector appropriatelly but if sector 1 is physically damaged I
suppose this does not work

but a data clone should be made instead, onto a good floppy and then
try the recovery?
Is there any tool that can rebuild a FAT12 using data from both
(possibly partially
damaged)copies?
tnx
anadisk might work. Google anadisk.

Arno Wagner

In said:
Hi I need to get data off the floppy with dead boot sector (possibly
FATs as well)
now there are programs like 'resqfloppy' , 'floppy diskfix' and 'Test
disk' that refresh the
boot sector appropriatelly but if sector 1 is physically damaged I
suppose this does not work
but a data clone should be made instead, onto a good floppy and then
try the recovery?
Is there any tool that can rebuild a FAT12 using data from both
(possibly partially
damaged)copies?
tnx

First: Write-protect the floppy and leave it that way
Second: Make an image-copy and work on that only

You may also consider professional data recovery, if the
data was important enough. Especially floppys have a
large read margin and can often be read without problem
with special equipment, even if they are unreadable on
a conventional floppy drive.

Arno

Zvi Netiv

Hi I need to get data off the floppy with dead boot sector (possibly
FATs as well)
now there are programs like 'resqfloppy' , 'floppy diskfix' and 'Test
disk' that refresh the boot sector appropriatelly but if sector 1 is physically damaged I
suppose this does not work but a data clone should be made instead, onto a good floppy and then
try the recovery?

NEVER attempt to work on the original floppy. Especially NOT with Disk Doctor
and like. You'll ruin your chances to recover anything at all.

RESQFLPY will let clone your floppy, no matter in how bad condition it is.
However, bad sectors that cannot be read after several attempts will be replaced
on the clone as blank. Your next step will be to place a valid boot sector on
the clone, by aid of FIXBOOT, also contained in the ResQfloppy package.

Read the text document in the package, it instructs exactly how to proceed.
Is there any tool that can rebuild a FAT12 using data from both
(possibly partially damaged)copies?

Any disk sector editor, like Norton's Diskedit, will let you do that, in
interactive mode. Work only on the clone made withy RESQFLPY.

The task requires some understanding in disk structures.

Regards, Zvi