firewall

H

HentaiPockyStick

jameson said:
When I installed my Netgear Router RP614 my internet
backgammon and other internet windows xp games don't work.
I think that it's a firewall issue. How do I fix this
problem?

I have the same router...
you will need to port forward your ip in the netgear setup.

I am assuming you have broadband... other than that, dialup setup should be automatic and no problems at all.

turn off the xp firewall that is part of windows... commercial firewalls like zonealarm, or norton and mcafee does not need to be off... don't ask why... let's just say that if this was on, you will not play.

Save your settings by clicking on "BackupSettings" and restore it again from the same menu if you mess up... just find a nice safe place to put your saved settings.

Remember to click on "apply" after each setup.

1: first determine your ip address, and if it is either static or dynamic, talk with your provider, or check out the features from your isp from their main site. To obtain your ip go here: http://www.dslreports.com/tools click on the link to the left: "whois" in the test+tools category.

2: open up your router settings.

3: click on "basic settings".
a: select "Use Static IP Address"
b: Type in the IP address.
*if ip is dynamic, remember to change ip address frequently, or you will be disconnected.
if you are disconnected from the internet for any reason, go back to your setup screen for the router ASAP and select "get dynamically from isp", or you will have a hard time getting back to this setup screen again... I should know, I wanted to break mine and buy another.
c: type in your ip subnet mask usually: 255.255.255.0
d: type in gateway ip address (given by your provider).
e: type in your primary and secondary dns (given by your provider).
f: mac address is located on the side of your cable modem automatic if it is dsl.

4: click on "port forwarding".
a: add custom services
b: type a name for it.
c: type in starting port and end port number for msn game zone...
*example for mechwarrior mercenaries... start port: 2300 end port: 2400*
*you will need the port setup for microsoft zone, and that can mostly be obtained here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;159031
d: type in the ip address of your computer assigned by the router.... you can get the info when you click on "attached devices" on the left menu, just remember what you named your computer.

5: click on "port triggering"... you will need to add triggering for direct play 8 and 7... setup for both.
a: click on "add"
b: checkmark "enable"
c: type the name for directplay 7 and 8 individually.
d: setup for 7 and 8.
-for 7: name: directplay 7 outgoing start: 47624 end: 47624 incoming start: 2300 end: 2400
-for 8: name: directplay 8 outgoing start: 6073 end: 6073 incoming start: 2300 end: 2400
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=240429

*here's where it gets annoying if you have a dynamic ip address.
dynamic address always changes all the time, does not matter which ip address you setup, it always changes
this last part of the instructions always changes no matter what... so if your ip address changes prior to going online and you can't seem to connect, refer to the instructions above to get back online... very important.

this last set of instructions below is dependent on the setup of step 3... so if the ip address changes, remember to change the ip address for step 6 .

6: click on static routes, all info should be the same from earlier.
a: type a name for the router.
b: type in the primary address from earlier
c: type in ip subnet mask
d: type in gateway
e: metric is 1, this is assuming you have one router... this is also the general default.

hope this helps.

-HentaiPockyStick
-------------the only snacks used for anime perversion.-------------

J

jameson

When I installed my Netgear Router RP614 my internet
backgammon and other internet windows xp games don't work.
I think that it's a firewall issue. How do I fix this
problem?

C

Chris H.

There is currently a problem with Zone games. Please don't try
reconfiguring the system until it is ironed out. I would suggest you post
your issues to the microsoft.games.zone newsgroup.

Normally games like Halo PC, etc., do require that certain ports need to be
active when you're playing, but the Zone doesn't. If you want further
information, check out this Knowledge Base article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;240429

Ask a Question