Find a Contact

bondg

Outlook 2003 / Exchange (latest v.) / Corporate Environment.

I have a VP whose Find a Contact field only finds contacts listed in her
Contacts folder. How do I make Outlook default to the GAL instead?

I tried Address Book > Tools > Options... > "When sending mail, check these
lists in this order" and the GAL is listed first.

Might it be related to Cached Exchange Mode? That setting should be turned
off, but she may have it on (and I can't really afford to keep bopping into
her office checking every little thing as it occurs to me).

Judy Gleeson MVP Outlook

The answer is in the question here. Contacts are not names in a Global
Address List. So the Find a Contact function finds Contacts and NOT names
in the GAL. That's how it is :(

Judy Gleeson [MVP Outlook]
Acorn Training and Consulting
www.acorntraining.com.au

Everyone - turn on your Advanced Toolbars and learn how to use the Field
Chooser and Group by Box!!

bondg

I don't mean to be disagreeable, but that's not right. When I type a name
into the Find a Contact box, it returns names found in the GAL. In fact,
when most people here use Find a Contact, it returns names found in the GAL.
It's just this one user that's having trouble.

As far as I can see, this VP isn't doing anything with the GAL and/or
Contacts that I'm not doing. All settings appear to match.

bondg

Judy Gleeson MVP Outlook said:
The answer is in the question here. Contacts are not names in a Global
Address List. So the Find a Contact function finds Contacts and NOT names
in the GAL. That's how it is :(

Judy Gleeson [MVP Outlook]
Acorn Training and Consulting
www.acorntraining.com.au

Everyone - turn on your Advanced Toolbars and learn how to use the Field
Chooser and Group by Box!!

Judy Gleeson MVP Outlook

Sorry - brain failure.

Then compare the settings in the Tools | options of the address book. What
order does it look at them in? Make the GAL appear first.

bondg said:
Outlook 2003 / Exchange (latest v.) / Corporate Environment.

I have a VP whose Find a Contact field only finds contacts listed in her
Contacts folder. How do I make Outlook default to the GAL instead?

I tried Address Book > Tools > Options... > "When sending mail, check
these lists in this order" and the GAL is listed first.

Might it be related to Cached Exchange Mode? That setting should be
turned off, but she may have it on (and I can't really afford to keep
bopping into her office checking every little thing as it occurs to me).

bondg

Done. No joy.

<snippet from first post>
I tried Address Book > Tools > Options... > "When sending mail, check
these lists in this order" and the GAL is listed first.
</snippet>

I'm at a loss concerning what else to look at. Thanks for trying, though.