File Sharing

Hi i have two desktops with xp pro and a laptop with xp home. i was able to
share folders with all the comps. Until yesterday when one of the xp pro
machine and the xp home machine cant connect to the main xp pro. it tells me
that i dont have access to this computer. it says the user has not been
granted the requested logon type at this computer. i've been reading other
forums and some say that i need to turn guest account on. It was working
fine before with out guest account. FYI the two xp pro machines are using
simple file sharing. the two xp pro comp can still acces the xp home
computer, and the main xp pro comp and xp home can access the other xp pro
computer.

Ron Lowe

Edward said:
Hi i have two desktops with xp pro and a laptop with xp home. i was able
share folders with all the comps. Until yesterday when one of the xp pro
machine and the xp home machine cant connect to the main xp pro. it tells
me
that i dont have access to this computer. it says the user has not been
granted the requested logon type at this computer. i've been reading
other
forums and some say that i need to turn guest account on. It was working
fine before with out guest account. FYI the two xp pro machines are using
simple file sharing. the two xp pro comp can still acces the xp home
computer, and the main xp pro comp and xp home can access the other xp
pro
computer.

The problem is on the machine you are trying to connect to.
Simple file sharing uses the guest account on the machine you are connecting
to.
This requires that the Guest account is:

1) Enabled; and
2) Granted permissions to log in across the network.

Starting with (1):

The option to turn the Guest account on and off from the control panel is
mis-labeled. It does not actually disable the account when you turn it off
here. It just sets an option on the account called Deny Local Logon. What
is required is that the guest account is active behind the scenes, which is
what is required for network access.

On XP-Pro:
R-click 'My Computer' | Manage | Local Users and Groups | Users
Check the Guest account does not have a red X on it.
If it does, then double-click the Guest account and un-check 'Account is
Disabled'.

XP Home is missing some essential tools to manipulate user accounts and
permissions. So on XP-Home, we need to use a command. ( This will work on
both XP-Home and XP-Pro ) :

Go to a command prompt ( not start | run ), and type:

net user guest

The output should contain a line like this:

Account active Yes

If it shows the account is not active, then type:

net user guest /active:yes

( It can remain off in the user control panel app, so long as it is enables
as per the above. )

Now, on to (2).
( This is the cause of your error. )

On XP-Pro, start | Run | secpol.msc
Local Policies | User Rights Assignments

Double-click the policy "Access this computer from the network".

Add the 'Everyone' group if it's not there:
'Add User or group' button;
Click 'Advanced' button;
Click 'Find Now'
Select 'Everyone' on the list, and OK all the way out.

Now double-click the policy "Deny access to this computer from the network".
Remove the Guest account if it's listed there.

OK your way out of there.
That should grant the necessary permissions.

If the problem machine were XP-Home, then it becomes more difficult.
But it isn't, so I won't go down that road.

Joined
Jun 12, 2005
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Ron Lowe said:
news:D[email protected]...

--
Best Regards
Ron Lowe

Well said, Mr. Lowe.

It was your last line, though, that caused me to create this account. I have the same problem as the person who you replied to, but my machine IS an XP-Home Machine.

Going down that road is hereby requested.

EDIT: I've messed around with my profile as well, so that anyone may contact me via AIM if they know what I can do to resolve this.

Last edited:

Ron Lowe said:
[...]

Hey Ron I did exactly everything you told me. It still doesn't work for some reason. Also the Access from this computer policy keeps changing. I would set it to everyone and then everyone would be gone from the list when i restart computer. Even with the everyone enabled it still wouldn't work. The other xp pro machine has the same exact settings and i'm able to access the shared folders from my 2 other comps.

Ron Lowe

Hi i have two desktops with xp pro and a laptop with xp home. i was
Hey Ron I did exactly everything you told me.
It still doesn't work for some reason.
Also the Access from this computer policy keeps changing.
I would set it to everyone and then everyone would be gone
from the list when i restart computer. Even with the everyone enabled
it still wouldn't work. The other xp pro machine has the same
exact settings and i'm able to access the shared folders from my 2 other
comps.

There's something else going on here.
Some software is re-setting the policy, it doesn't re-set by itself.

Either some 'security' software you have installed, or perhaps
some malware you have picked up along the way?

Hane you installed, or un-installed any software that may have triggered
this behaviour?
Have you done a virus scan lately, and a spyware check?

You might try to use system restore to go back to a time when it worked.

Ron Lowe

Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at
this computer
On XP-Pro, start | Run | secpol.msc
Local Policies | User Rights Assignments
[...]
If the problem machine were XP-Home, then it becomes more difficult.
But it isn't, so I won't go down that road.
but my machine IS an XP-Home Machine.

Going down that road is hereby requested.

Download and install the Windows 2003 Server Resource Kit Tools:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en

To run it, go to:
Start | All Programs | Windows Resource Kit Tools | Command Shell.

A command prompt window will open.
Type these commands, be carefull to use capital letters exactly as shown:

net user guest /active:yes

( this enables the guest account, necessary for XP-Home Simple File
Sharing )

ntrights +r SeNetworkLogonRight -u Guest

( This grants the user 'Guest' the rights to log on across the network )

ntrights -r SeDenyNetworkLogonRight -u Guest

( This ensures the Guest account is not explicitly prohibited from accessing
the machine across the network. )

Then check this worked by using these commands:

showpriv SeNetworkLogonRight
showpriv SeDenyNetworkLogonRight

Ensure the Guest account is listed in the first, and not in the second.

Joined
Jun 12, 2005
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Ron Lowe said:
>>> Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at
>>> this computer

>> On XP-Pro, start | Run | secpol.msc
>> Local Policies | User Rights Assignments
>> [...]
>> If the problem machine were XP-Home, then it becomes more difficult.
>> But it isn't, so I won't go down that road.
>>

> but my machine IS an XP-Home Machine.
>
> Going down that road is hereby requested.

Download and install the Windows 2003 Server Resource Kit Tools:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en

To run it, go to:
Start | All Programs | Windows Resource Kit Tools | Command Shell.

A command prompt window will open.
Type these commands, be carefull to use capital letters exactly as shown:

net user guest /active:yes

( this enables the guest account, necessary for XP-Home Simple File
Sharing )

ntrights +r SeNetworkLogonRight -u Guest

( This grants the user 'Guest' the rights to log on across the network )

ntrights -r SeDenyNetworkLogonRight -u Guest

( This ensures the Guest account is not explicitly prohibited from accessing
the machine across the network. )

Then check this worked by using these commands:

showpriv SeNetworkLogonRight
showpriv SeDenyNetworkLogonRight

Ensure the Guest account is listed in the first, and not in the second.

--
Ron

Instructions were followed to the precision of every final letter.

I now recieve a similar Error: Access is denied.

Evidently, Logon works fine now, but Access isn't permitted for some reason. Let me know if you need me to go into greater detail.

Ron Lowe

Instructions were followed to the precision of every final letter.
I now recieve a similar Error: Access is denied.

Evidently, Logon works fine now, but Access isn't permitted for some
reason. Let me know if you need me to go into greater detail.

Well, access denied means we've got past the hurdle of the Network Logon
Rights.

Now you just have to set the share and NTFS permissions.
That's the cause of 'Access Denied'.

These should not need adjusting on XP Home, the default permissions should
work.
But some software must be stamping all over them.

-Can I ask if you have run any form of security lockdown software? If so,
what exactly?

Again, the actual tools to check or repair this are not easily available in
XP home.
So you are left with no easy way to fix this mess.

-Can I ask which folder it is you have shared, and are getting Access Denied
from?

The easiest thing to try in the first instance would be to un-share the
folder you have shared, OK your way out, and then go ack in and re-share it.
The Simple File Sharing user interface will probably re-set the share and
NTFS permissions for you.

Let's just check a couple of things are as they should be at this point.
Re-check the guest account is active:
Go to a command line and type the command 'net user guest'.
Check that Simple File Sharing is enabled:
Start | Run | Regedit, and go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
Look at the value of 'forceguest', it should be 1.

If this does not sort out the 'Access Denied', then we need to
manually set the share and NTFS permissions.
You need to interrupt the boot process, ( hold down F8 during boot )
and start up into 'Safe mode with Networking'.
In safe mode, use Windows Explorer to navigate to the folder in question.
R-click the folder, and go to Sharing and Security.

On the Sharing tab, click the Permissions button.
It should contain the 'Everyone' group by itself.
The 'Allow' permissions for Everyone should be either
'Read' for read-only access,or
'Read' AND 'Change' for read / write access.

All the 'Deny' boxes should be un-checked.
That's the share permissions sorted. OK that.

Now on to the NTFS permissions.
( This only applies if the disk is formatted NTFS. )
Go to the Security tab.
In the top box, the groups 'Administrators', 'Everyone', and 'System'
should be listed, along with a user who crested the folder.

If the 'Everyone' group is not present, add it.
Check the 'Everyone' group has the following 'Allow' permissions:
Modify, Read+Execute, List Folder Contents, Read, Write.
None of the 'Deny' boxes should be checked.

Do not click OK yet!

Now, quickly check the permissions on each of the other users and groups.
There should be no 'Deny' permissions anywhere.

There would not normally be any other groups or users listed,
other than the ones I listed above.
If there are, let me know what they are, and what permissions they have.

If you have made any changes to the permissions in here, before you OK out,
click the Advanced button.
Check the box marked 'Replace permission entries on all child objects....'
This will apply the modified permissions to all files and subdirectories
within the shared folder, as well as to the shared folder itself.

OK your way out from here.

That should set the permissions correctly for Simple File Sharing.

Joined
Jun 12, 2005
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Sorry to take so long in replying - Had a small fiasco with my house, involving a fire.

Anyway, it's not just a folder that can't be accessed - It's the entire computer that can't be reached. I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

Anyway, I managed to go through everything you stated, and had no luck, probably due to a slight mistake of Folder vs. Computer.

I can't access ANY of the shared files/folders on the problem computer. Sorry for any prior confusion.

Perhaps I should try the process again? Or is another process in order to establish access to the whole computer?